General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

White wall tires

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019, 05:22 AM

White wall tires

Anyone paint the stripe on a white wall tire?. Car has been sitting for a few years until I could fix it and I washed the car the yesterday and one of the tires the white wall just completely washed away with the power washer. Then the last new tire I bought before it broke down still has a blue cast to it where the coating never would clean off. Then I will need to put new tires on the back and I'm wondering what else I could do to clean that blue coating off or do I plan on having to painting those too?. That tire I think I used everything including lacquer thinner on a spot and the tint never would go away.
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:27 PM

How old are the tires? Anything over 7 yrs old isn't considered safe.
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Says who?
Old July 29th, 2019, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Says who?
Around here tire places won't touch a tire that is over 10 years old. I don't know about 7 years. There are lots of threads on this site and elsewhere on the interweb) of blown up old tires with excellent tread still on them- has to do with the newer tread compound and not as resistant to weatherchecking/ rot. One guy had a new looking spare in his trunk and it blew up sitting there. So you should check it out...
Old July 29th, 2019, 04:00 AM

The local discount tire has really pissed me off last few times I have been there. I took my truck in for the free rotate and balance, I told them to lock the keys in it and would pick it up later. The did lock the keys inside as requested, but left the windows down! They told me the windows were down when I left it, it’s their policy not the mess with windows because they have had issues with windows not going back up or coming off the tracks.

Took my stepdaughters car car in for a tire loosing air. She hit a pothole and cracked the rim. I told them to put the spare on, I’ll get a wheel to replace the damaged one. They said they couldn’t put the spare on the car because it’s older than 10 years old (this is a 2009 Malibu, the spare had never been out of the trunk!). In their opinion, a spare older than 10 years old is less safe that a tire mounted on a cracked rim. They had no problem remounting the tote, and reinstalling the cracked wheel!!

My wife’s Durango needed tires, went to pick it up later that day to find 3 new tires, and the spare tire installed. They wouldn’t install the 4th tire because one of the aluminum wheels had a small crack on the inside bead. It was cosmetic, didn’t affect anything. I got a little shitty, asking why didn’t you call to tell me BEFORE installing the spare?! Then they gave me crap about company policy of not installing tires on welded rims (even though they will send out a wheel for “repair” otherwise known as welding)!

There are other complaints, I’m not going to bother explaining them. I have always used discount tire because the stores are everywhere, we travel a lot, and if there is tire issues it’s never much trouble to find a store for repairs. These last few times dealing with them is going to make me seriously reconsider them next time one of my cars needs tires
Old July 29th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Around here tire places won't touch a tire that is over 10 years old. I don't know about 7 years. There are lots of threads on this site and elsewhere on the interweb) of blown up old tires with excellent tread still on them- has to do with the newer tread compound and not as resistant to weatherchecking/ rot. One guy had a new looking spare in his trunk and it blew up sitting there. So you should check it out...
That's what I thought....
Old July 29th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
How old are the tires? Anything over 7 yrs old isn't considered safe.
The tires I'm proposing painting are 5 years and newer.
Old July 29th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The local discount tire has really pissed me off last few times I have been there. I took my truck in for the free rotate and balance, I told them to lock the keys in it and would pick it up later. The did lock the keys inside as requested, but left the windows down! They told me the windows were down when I left it, it’s their policy not the mess with windows because they have had issues with windows not going back up or coming off the tracks.

Took my stepdaughters car car in for a tire loosing air. She hit a pothole and cracked the rim. I told them to put the spare on, I’ll get a wheel to replace the damaged one. They said they couldn’t put the spare on the car because it’s older than 10 years old (this is a 2009 Malibu, the spare had never been out of the trunk!). In their opinion, a spare older than 10 years old is less safe that a tire mounted on a cracked rim. They had no problem remounting the tote, and reinstalling the cracked wheel!!

My wife’s Durango needed tires, went to pick it up later that day to find 3 new tires, and the spare tire installed. They wouldn’t install the 4th tire because one of the aluminum wheels had a small crack on the inside bead. It was cosmetic, didn’t affect anything. I got a little shitty, asking why didn’t you call to tell me BEFORE installing the spare?! Then they gave me crap about company policy of not installing tires on welded rims (even though they will send out a wheel for “repair” otherwise known as welding)!

There are other complaints, I’m not going to bother explaining them. I have always used discount tire because the stores are everywhere, we travel a lot, and if there is tire issues it’s never much trouble to find a store for repairs. These last few times dealing with them is going to make me seriously reconsider them next time one of my cars needs tires
The Discount tire in my town is the only place that are not complete idiots. The rest of them won't put the tires back on the wheel in the same place when you get a patch. Then you have to get the tire balanced again. Then you know how they take an air tool and roughen the rubber before putting a patch on, these guys grind through too far. At walmart I took in a rim I had painted and when they put the tire on they put a UPC sticker on the new paint. I ended up having to dig the sticker off with a chisel.
Old July 29th, 2019, 05:59 AM

The tires I will be replacing are probably more than 10 years old. They are pretty cracked and I'm afraid to drive on them with the Olds. No telling how many trucks and trailers I've had damaged from radial tires coming apart. If they were bias tires I might risk it.
Old July 30th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by FN723
The tires I'm proposing painting are 5 years and newer.
It's a dying art. Back in the '70's and early 80's my father had someone that would come out to his car lot with what he called a "white wall kit". It was basically a large compass that would mount on the center hub and then as it was turned, scrape a small portion of the rubber from the sidewall of the tire. He would then attach a brush to the contraption and "paint" on the whitewall. It worked great, but I have not seen anyone else do that since probably 1990.
Old July 30th, 2019, 07:06 AM

I mainly was just wondering how well the paint they make today would adhere and how durable it is. I found some paint online and it was about 30 bucks for a little jar of it. If it wasn't for painting over that stupid protective coating I would be better off putting the 30 bucks into a new tire.

I've also seen people recommend Plasti Dip paint for tires. It is available in rattle can for around six bucks.

The tire the whitewall washed completely off I'm wondering now if the tire company had it painted. I know my mother would have insisted on a factory whitewall tire but she would have never known if it wasn't. I didn't see the difference until it washed off but it was old and dirty by then.
Old July 30th, 2019, 08:59 AM

White wall tires can't wash away. If you used a power washer on your tire and the white wall washed away it was just painted on. When you clean white wall tires you want to use a mild detergent like Simple Green. Bleach White will damage the white wall if you use it long enough. Also, with white wall tires make sure you use a tire shop you trust. Spots in the white wall from grease or leaning tires against one another will NOT come out. x10 on everything if you have wide white walls. These tires aren't easy to come by anymore. FWIW, if you use paint you won't be happy with the results, read some of the reviews and look at the pics online:

https://www.amazon.com/BEMLP-Waterproof-Metallic-Fluorescence-highlighters/dp/B0768W4KG4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=OHN7JZWBQUUF&keywords=tire+white+wall+paint&qid=1564502365&s=gateway&sprefix=tire+white+wall+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/BEMLP-Waterproof-Metallic-Fluorescence-highlighters/dp/B0768W4KG4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=OHN7JZWBQUUF&keywords=tire+white+wall+paint&qid=1564502365&s=gateway&sprefix=tire+white+wall+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
Old July 30th, 2019, 11:24 AM

[quote=Olds64;1188097]White wall tires can't wash away. If you used a power washer on your tire and the white wall washed away it was just painted on. When you clean white wall tires you want to use a mild detergent like Simple Green. Bleach White will damage the white wall if you use it long enough. Also, with white wall tires make sure you use a tire shop you trust. Spots in the white wall from grease or leaning tires against one another will NOT come out. x10 on everything if you have wide white walls. These tires aren't easy to come by anymore. FWIW, if you use paint you won't be happy with the results, read some of the reviews and look at the pics online:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/BEMLP-Waterproof-Metallic-Fluorescence-highlighters/dp/B0768W4KG4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=OHN7JZWBQUUF&keywords=tire+wh ite+wall+paint&qid=1564502365&s=gateway&sprefix=ti re+white+wall+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1[/quote]
Amazon Amazon
] I've been suspecting that tire had had the whitewall stripe painted on since it washed off completely. The older tires you can't wash the stripe off of them not even in a little spot. It seems to be part of the tire. I know the history of the tire and nobody has painted the stripe, it came as a brand new tire from a tire shop. They may have done it but nobody else would have.

The newest tire on the car I bought. It came with that blue protective coating. I started trying to wash it off with a mild detergent and then escalated to more aggressive cleansers when that didn't remove the blue. It's still there after about three years. It won't come off. I worry when I purchase two new tires for it I will have the same problem.
Old July 31st, 2019, 04:26 AM

I think that whitewall tires are coming back. I always liked the look of whitewalls, myself. But for a time it seemed "old" or nerdy to have whitewalls on your 90's driver. maybe it was when everybody was trying to look "European" . I remember when the car used car lots would paint them on also. Probably would be had to find someone to do that today. I can't imagine them lasting long on rubber that flexes as you drive.
Old July 31st, 2019, 05:00 AM

The blue coating that's on the white walls / white letters when you buy tires should come off with a bit of mild detergent and a tire brush. If you used an agressive cleaner like paint thinner or xylene I could definitely understand that it might damage the tire.

When I bought tires for my 71 98 I needed 235/75 R15s (which are closest to the old J78s). All of the tires in that size I could easily find were knobby SUV tires. So, I ordered some General Grabber HTS' from a local tire shop. They're good tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

When I buy tires again for the Olds I think I will get white wall tires from Diamond Back. Plus, I might upgrade to knock-off rims. We'll see if I keep the Olds that long:

https://dbtires.com/
Old July 31st, 2019, 05:25 AM

In 1989-1990, I worked in a Sears Auto Center. I was told that the blue coating on whitewalls was simply soap. From then on, whenever I had to remove the blue, I use water and a scotchbrite scrubbing pad, and it usually comes right off.
Old July 31st, 2019, 07:57 AM

Cali Tires

You might take a look on how white walls are added to tires that didn't come with them. I have used this company for wide whites a couple of times, their prices are very good and tires are lasting longer than I thought they might(30000 miles and still going) One set took a longer time to keep and stay clean but finally remained white as any white wall I have bought. They all need attention when they are 3 inches wide.... Tedd...http://www.callitw.com/
Old July 31st, 2019, 07:23 PM

I think that whitewall tires are coming back. I always liked the look of whitewalls, myself. But for a time it seemed "old" or nerdy to have whitewalls on your 90's driver. maybe it was when everybody was trying to look "European" . I remember when the car used car lots would paint them on also. Probably would be had to find someone to do that today. I can't imagine them lasting long on rubber that flexes as you drive.
The blackwall tires look alright on the new cars but the tire I washed off the white stripe on my delta 88 looks awful on that car. I'm going to have to try something. Right now I can't afford 4 new tires. I thin I will give the plasti dip spray paint a try and see what happens. The worst that can happen is it will wash off. It's suppose to be a rubberized coating. Just don't know how well it will adhere to rubber.
Old July 31st, 2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You might take a look on how white walls are added to tires that didn't come with them. I have used this company for wide whites a couple of times, their prices are very good and tires are lasting longer than I thought they might(30000 miles and still going) One set took a longer time to keep and stay clean but finally remained white as any white wall I have bought. They all need attention when they are 3 inches wide.... Tedd...http://www.callitw.com/
Interesting how the tire was made. At first I didn't think much of it. The white strip was so irregular but then the trimmed it while the tire was turning.
Old July 31st, 2019, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Olds64;1188239]The blue coating that's on the white walls / white letters when you buy tires should come off with a bit of mild detergent and a tire brush. If you used an agressive cleaner like paint thinner or xylene I could definitely understand that it might damage the tire.

When I bought tires for my 71 98 I needed 235/75 R15s (which are closest to the old J78s). All of the tires in that size I could easily find were knobby SUV tires. So, I ordered some General Grabber HTS' from a local tire shop. They're good tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

When I buy tires again for the Olds I think I will get white wall tires from Diamond Back. Plus, I might upgrade to knock-off rims. We'll see if I keep the Olds that long:

https://dbtires.com/[/QUOTE] I didn't try any solvents on the tire until I had tried almost every detergent I could find. Then I just used the solvent on one spot and it didn't do any better. Somehow the blue coating penetrated and stained the whitewall.