General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: Would you install a vinyl roof as an option just for looks?
Yes
30.30%
No
69.70%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Vinyl Top - Install or Not?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Vinyl Top - Install or Not?

I see lots of opinions on the pluses and minuses of vinyl tops. I've read that they are bad news because they cause rust, and also read that a properly prepared surface doesn't do that. And, there's the issue of having more areas to trap moisture and gunk that cause rust. On the other hand are the aesthetic issues.

SO, here's the question (and I'm putting a vote up on this)

Would you put a vinyl roof onto a car that originally didn't have one? I think my car would look killer with a black vinyl roof over the silver body. I have all the stainless polished and NOS ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008_0314MILLER0034 - Copy.JPG (70.8 KB, 53 views)
2008_0314MILLER0033 - Copy.JPG (92.6 KB, 42 views)
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Allen,

I would not touch that car with vinyl. That would be like covering a playboy bunny with a dirty rag. That Olds is classy just the way it is
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
zed

I agree. I'm usually wondering how to get rid of a vinyl top. In my opinion,it would ruin the roof line into the quarter. I think vinyl tops suit the Supremes more. Just my 2 cents.
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
meoff

Originally Posted by zed
I agree. I'm usually wondering how to get rid of a vinyl top. In my opinion,it would ruin the roof line into the quarter. I think vinyl tops suit the Supremes more. Just my 2 cents.
I have to agree with zed.you have a great looking car!my supreme was a vinyl top car and had a couple of rust issues due to the vinyl
rust005.jpg this was on the sail panels.
cutlassfillerpanel021.jpg pics of the filler panel between trunk and back glass
cutlassfillerpanel022.jpg
cutlassfillerpanel030.jpg
om/albums/e59/meoff1970/cutlassfillerpanel031.jpg[/IMG]after going through all this mine will not see a new vinyl top

Old October 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Past Administrator

Vinyl top=trouble. Your car is really nice and beautiful as it is.
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM

IMHO

There are two kinds of roofs covered with a vinyl,

Those that are rusted and those that are going to be rusted.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM

It's your car, and you should do what makes you happy. I personally like the way a vinyl roof looks on the car. That said I am in agreement with the majority as far as installing one on a car that does not already have one, and for the same reasons. My car will not be getting one.
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:40 AM
car nut farmer

It's a matter of taste. Personally, I like a vinyl roof if it flows with the body lines as it does with the 70-72 cutlass fastback.
Attached Images
2008 cutlass 003.jpg (56.5 KB, 39 views)
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I wouldn't put a vinyl top on your car. I like them; however, if it didn't have it originally no need to put one on now. It looks SWEET the way it is.
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Most cars I think that the vinyl really brings the look down. That is why I was so happy to get my '84 delta without it because the vinyl is so common, However I think that your car would look really good with the vinyl but you get one little invisible little crack cut or otherwise then you are getting all kinds of unwanted moisture in there. It would be a shame to cover up that nice paint just to cause problems for it.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Gary

I am going to put a black vinyl back on this car, I plan on painting it a Lemans blue. I also thought that the vinyls would harbour rust,but this one most certainly didnt. It is the original vinyl that came with the car. I had one heck of a time getting it off.There was absolutely not one rust spot under this vinyl. I guess lucky me.I am going to put a Thornton hood on it also
Attached Images
IMG_0258.jpg (66.9 KB, 34 views)
IMG_0256.jpg (62.8 KB, 30 views)
IMG_0239.jpg (67.4 KB, 29 views)
IMG_0071.jpg (63.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gh5168
I am going to put a black vinyl back on this car, I plan on painting it a Lemans blue. I also thought that the vinyls would harbour rust,but this one most certainly didnt. It is the original vinyl that came with the car. I had one heck of a time getting it off.There was absolutely not one rust spot under this vinyl. I guess lucky me.
Looks like you have a bit of work cut out for yourself. Your car and comments tend to support that a well prepped and installed vinyl roof don't necessarily spell rust. Love to see the pics when you're done.

Was this a 71 or 72? Can't tell much from the pictures. Buckets, console, sport mirrors, rallye wheels .... it's definitely going to finish up nice. BTW, nice weld job. Rust in the usual places?

Would like to hear back when you get the Thorntons w25 hood. I know they make the best aftermarket OAI for Olds. Would like to know your take on the quality and fit when it goes on.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

If it came with one put one on it but if not I wouldn't. The Supremes do look better with a vinyl top. If you keep it out of the elements like most do on a restored car you will be ok with it not rusting.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

gh5168 said
"I am going to put a black vinyl back on this car, I plan on painting it a Lemans blue. I also thought that the vinyls would harbour rust,but this one most certainly didnt. It is the original vinyl that came with the car. I had one heck of a time getting it off.There was absolutely not one rust spot under this vinyl. I guess lucky me."

The aversion to the top most of us have and the reason we give of course comes with a caveat. That is that the car is in a moist area with lots of exposure to the elements. If you car was a desert car or stored indoors for much of it's life then one would most certainly have the kind of situation you found on your car. My '77 Cutlass is definitely old enough to have rust problems in those areas prone to cars of it's age but since it has been garaged it does not. If it had had a vinyl roof I bet it would be nice, lacking any corrosion underneath just as your car was.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I,m at the Barris show and there was a 1/4 million dollar custom ...

The owner rolled on some primer and it looked like a vinyl top when he painted it...

I asked him why he put a top and he told me about the "Faux" finish ...

I did not replace mine but I would consider doing a fake one, I think I could get the grain perfect ...
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM

That is a really cool idea. Mask off the top and use some rattle can chip guard and cover with a satin finish paint, no one would be the wiser once the trim was in place! I might try that on mine.
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM

What you think this is funny? My 4 year old daughter was on my lap when your S^&* came up on the screen. Do you want to explain this to her? GROW UP!
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by csstrux
What you think this is funny? My 4 year old daughter was on my lap when your S^&* came up on the screen. Do you want to explain this to her? GROW UP!
Don't waste your time cussing these idiots out. The spam-bots seem to have discovered this thread/forum and are now hitting us. Eventually we'll get their IP blocked, but until then just hit the "report post" button I'll get it deleted.
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM

I guess it cranks me up a lot more when I have the little ones with me in front of the screen. Call me stupid, but you are telling me that a machine is posting that shize?
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I guess it cranks me up a lot more when I have the little ones with me in front of the screen. Call me stupid, but you are telling me that a machine is posting that shize?
Yup.

These spammers pay people in poor countries a few pennies apiece to register by hand (because it takes a human to register) on sites like this forum from master lists (obtained from web crawlers), then spam-bots (programs) pull from that list of registrations and post crap like the **** that keeps winding up on this page. If just one person clicks on just one of the links the site that is linked too pays a few cents for the traffic back to the spammers. Emailing them has the same effect, they get paid AND they get an email they can then sell. A few cents doesn't sound like much, till you add up hundreds of thousands of sites, and that becomes enough money to keep them in business. Legal action does no good, as they're all in countries where this isn't illegal.

So best thing you can do is REPORT POST so I can delete them. Wish there were another way, but short of moderating every post before its made live, this is the best we can do. And if you think it's bad here, you should see it on the sites that have hundreds of thousands of users.

Hope this helps!
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Past Administrator

Paul,
It seems it has gotten a little worse lately. I have removed some myself and perhaps some of the other mods have too, as well as you. So we are getting hit pretty hard. Diligence is the key.

csstrux, I understand you dilemna and your frustration. We'll get it out, sooner or later.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Cool. It does. and I haven't seen anything like this on the site until this thread, I'm guessing for the above stated reasons. Thanks for the explanation. I just got wound up cause the little one was literally sitting on my lap with her face in the screen when it came up I don't think it registered yet, but it won't be long before she starts to recognize an issue or start asking questions that she isn't ready to hear the answers to. Regrettably the last three times I've found it, the situation was the same. I was guessing that there must have been a kid on the site thinking he was being cute or something.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Isn't there an av and picture delete option ...
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
is Fast Enough ...

That is a really cool idea. Mask off the top and use some rattle can chip guard and cover with a satin finish paint, no one would be the wiser once the trim was in place! I might try that on mine.
I'm a housepainter and I will try my rollers till it looks right ...

I'm thinking a rust buster 2 stage primer for the base ...
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I'm a housepainter and I will try my rollers till it looks right ...

I'm thinking a rust buster 2 stage primer for the base ...
Let me know how that works for you. I really like the look, but the expense and the rust issues have kind put me off of them. If a guy can do a convincing faux... well that might just change things. Rust buster 2 stage primer never heard of the stuff.
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I,m at the Barris show and there was a 1/4 million dollar custom ...

The owner rolled on some primer and it looked like a vinyl top when he painted it...

I asked him why he put a top and he told me about the "Faux" finish ...

I did not replace mine but I would consider doing a fake one, I think I could get the grain perfect ...
Can you get a picture of this "faux" finish and post it? I would love to see what you are describing.
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Allan R
Can you get a picture of this "faux" finish and post it? I would love to see what you are describing.
I thought there would be pics. My camera arrived after the show ...

On monday I'll check with Culver City about the photographer ...

Last edited by mugzilla; October 25th, 2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: oops
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:58 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Let me know how that works for you. I really like the look, but the expense and the rust issues have kind put me off of them. If a guy can do a convincing faux... well that might just change things. Rust buster 2 stage primer never heard of the stuff.
I won't be doing it for a while as I like the "naked" top ...

Go to an auto paint store for top quality coatings ...

You also have to go to "White" metal. I used a dremel tool but sand blasting will work ...
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM

I'll check int it. maybe even fart around with some test panels if the weather holds out. no heat in the garage. winter in the badger SUCKS!!! I'm trying to talk my wife into moving to Texas. I've only been down there a few times, but love it. besides The way I hear it, TX, OK, and FL are barely feeling the crunch. I like the sound of that
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
69CuttyS

I agree with the lads to a certain extent. Why put vinyl on if the car already looks super-bad? On the other hand, if you REALLY wanna, then you need to do it!
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Past Administrator

OK guys. I just deleted three more **** spams in a row on this thread. Getting sick of it. I don't know if it will work but I am closing this thread. Maybe the spam bot won't find it and quite spamming us.
Allan, sorry to do this to your thread. Start a new one if you want to continue the discussion.