General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

UPS damage claim

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM

UPS damage claim

I know a lot of us ship our Items via ups.I and another member had a sale where he shipped me a Tilt column (Insured)and it was damaged in shippment.UPS picked up item and sent it to michigan where they investigated damage.The shipper was told his Ins. claim was denied and they discarded the TILT STEERING COLUMN.We are now in very nasty negotiations with UPS.Just a reminder to our members that there is also FedEx & usps to ship items.Thanks for letting me blow off some steam,Tom.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Yes i had to deal with this once, somewhere written it says that the item your packing must have have at least 4 inches of packing material around it when being shipped. Unfortunatly i never saw this in writing till i filed a claim on a damaged item.

Greg
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Oh man that is a tough one to deal with
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM

The 4 inches of packing is required so they can throw it over the fence... like the flat screen TV's!
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM

My husband shipped a fender to a customer one time and the customer stated it was damaged. The customer took pictures of it and the claim was denied. They said that there wasn't enough packaging around the item and they couldn't be sure that the tire mark over the damage was from them.

We only ship fed-ex or usps now.
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Now if the ins claim is denied, the item should not be discarded, but turned over to the buyer or seller. If the claim is paid, then the item is destroyed. Something is not right here............
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM
72 Olds CS

I bought some MC rims and seller shipped thru FEDEX.

Rims arrived damaged and the package was only a cardboard box no packing. I filed a damage claim. By a stroke of good fortune the FEDEX lady mentioned the original package was damaged in transit by FEDEX. If she had not let that slip I would probably still be in in negeotiations w the seller.

As it was the package was picked up and returned to the seller and he got the damage money ($500) and he had my $500 and FEDEXs $500 thats how FEDEX does it i explained that made no sense but FEDEX wouldnt give me the money because I didnt buy the insurance. I was fortunate in that the seller was honest, we renegeotiated the deal I got the damaged rims (only 1 was damaged) I scored another one to replace the damaged one and in the end he got about $700 and i got the rims I wanted for ~$350 but It took about 2.5 months and both of us running around shipping and reshipping and me reshopping etcetc. all in all I would just rather got the rims.

point is pack it well and hope for the best

I have shipped several hundred personal packages w FEDEX UPS and USPS this was the only incident. I pack my stuff to remain undamaged in a five foot fall Im sure its overkill some of the time but I have received stuff that really shouldnt have been sent across town in the packing material I got it in
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM

Wow...This is timely. We won a 60" TV on a contest my wife entered. The TV was shipped UPS and we got it this past Tuesday. The box was in my driveway, upside down and the bottom of the box was shredded like it had been dragged around. The styrafoam packing was every where except where it needed to be and the screen was cracked in several places. The best part was that on the base of the TV stand there was a smooshed used red solo cup, a chicken bone and a wet nap...Needless to say it was sent back and we are waiting for the replacement TV....Like Retro says. I have shipped a lot of car parts and have not really encountered too many problems...
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Now if the ins claim is denied, the item should not be discarded, but turned over to the buyer or seller. If the claim is paid, then the item is destroyed. Something is not right here............
X2

They can't deny the claim AND discard the item...

I went thru something similar w/ UPS with a console I bought. When I got it, the box had obviously been roughed up with big scrapes/gouges/crushing and the console was cracked. Shipper had done a very nice job of packing and used a huge box. Easily 4"+ everywhere. Filed a claim w/UPS. They wanted to come pick it up and I said 'no' due to rarity of the part and my fear of it disappearing. I took a ton of pics of the box, packing, parts/pieces, etc and went round & round with them for a while.

UPS ultimately denied the claim so the shipper & I worked out a deal.

So, I may have hurt my chances toward the damage claim by refusing to let them take it, but I still have it.
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM

If the shipper had it packaged correctly and he feels they are just denying the claim to keep from paying,he should file a claim in small claims court. It's a small fee to pay to file and most of the time,UPS will pay the claim to keep from fighting the claim. Now if the part wasn't packaged correctly,it might not be worth the time. I use ONLY FedEx and I have never had anything damaged. The problem with some shippers is,they don't take time to package correctly. When I ship a fragile or valuable part,it gets double boxed and plenty o packing. If they denied the claim and discarded the item,it should be on them to find it or pay the claim. It does not become their item till they pay for it.