General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

sealer for white walls

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2014, 06:33 PM

sealer for white walls

Is there a sealer that will keep oil and dirt from staining white walls. It appears my wide whites collect dirt and smudges as fast as I can clean them. Has anyone found something that works?....Tedd
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, you are not putting any kind of tire treatment on the whitewalls are you? That will act like a magnet for dust and dirt. I think the best thing is to clean them with Westleys (I know you use that from other posts) and leave them alone. I put tire shine on the black part but not the whitewall.
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:15 AM

No I've not done anything to the white walls but clean them with Black Magic (the new Westleys) and water but these new white walls appear to pick up dust and oil off the road quicker than I remember my old ones doing, kinda like they are porous or have a static cling thing going on. I was thinking of something with a wax base to it maybe, don't know I could be I'm just getting ainl and I've been looking at those tires to much.. I will give it a few trips and see what happens.....Tedd
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

From what I understand from a previous discussion is that some whitewalls are not guarantied if you use a chlorinated cleaner on them. Check with your tire manufacturer. In the past way back when Wesleys was the cleaner of choice.
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Tedd,I've never noticed this problem,but I am still using the the old Westley's brand. THERE is a product called "Detail Pro whitewall wipes " that's recommended to use between the harsh scrubbings .You may want to check this out.
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM

I would be interested in this as well. I just put on my new wide white radials from Coker and noticed I need to wear white gloves to handle them.

Mark

Last edited by Mark57; March 25th, 2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Actually just checked on Coker and found these;

http://www.cokertire.com/tire-access...all-wipes.html
http://www.cokertire.com/tire-access...e-cleaner.html

Anyone try them?
I used to use SOS pads to clean my white letter tires but not sure if they would damage the wide white or not?

Mark
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:19 PM

I found them listed online at Pal's Hotrod Shop for $5.99 + Shipping.I think there's 18 in a can.This is the best price I've found if their shipping is reasonable. Larry
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

See below which was listed on the DB Tires website:

What Ruins Whitewall Tires?

If you have your car serviced and the tires have to be removed for any reason, be sure you are there to supervise how they are handled. Chemical agents such as oils and grease can affect the white rubber to cause permanent problems. And guess what will cause permanent staining of whitewalls? Stacking tires with the black side of one tire against the white sidewall of another! Remember what I said about how chemicals from black rubber will leach into white rubber? Well, there is no protective barrier on the outside of the white rubber, so if the tires are stacked one on another, or even leaned against one another, it can happen very fast. It looks like a brown stain — and it’s permanent. All the cleaning agents in the world won’t get rid of it.

What it means is that you should never leave your whitewall tires unattended in a service shop. They might get moved and stacked. Also, be sure to tell the service technicians right up front not to touch the whitewall itself with greasy, dirty hands!

And speaking of ruining whitewall tires, right here is the perfect place to mention how NOT to clean your whitewalls. If you want to ruin them over time, one of the best ways is to use cleaners that contain bleach. Yep...whitewall cleaner. Now you’re probably thinking “But I’ve always used whitewall cleaner.” Yes, it gets them clean alright, but what you will notice over time is that the whitewalls start to get dried out and lose that nice “smooth and shiney” surface quality (which also makes them easy to clean). If your whitewalls are dried out already, that’s probably why. Instead of whitewall cleaner, use a soap pad or a scrubby sponge with a cleaning agent like 409, Simple Green, etc. And never use tire coatings on the whitewall. They can cause discoloration, too.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM

X2 on the SOS pads
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mark57
Actually just checked on Coker and found these;

http://www.cokertire.com/tire-access...all-wipes.html
http://www.cokertire.com/tire-access...e-cleaner.html

Anyone try them?
I used to use SOS pads to clean my white letter tires but not sure if they would damage the wide white or not?

Mark
Mark if i remember correctly SOS pads have a chlorine base cleaner in them. I've used them also as well as most everything that was under the sink but I'll probably be a little more discretionary from now on....Tedd
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM

I have about 100 miles on the tires without cleaning them(as yet) and they look presentable for a driver , if I were to take it to a show they of course they would get the whole treatment as would the car. It may have been that the coating (residue) from the laying of the white wall material collected dust and grime faster than usual....Time will tell...Tedd
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Mark if i remember correctly SOS pads have a chlorine base cleaner in them. I've used them also as well as most everything that was under the sink but I'll probably be a little more discretionary from now on....Tedd

Since they are made by Clorox I wondered…so I checked;
Ingredients:
Steel Wire
Sodium Tallowate
Water
Glycerin
Sodium Carbonate
Cocamide MEA
Sodium Nitrite
Neutralized Oleic-Stearic Acid
Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulfonate
C.I. Pigment Blue 15 (74160)
Dilauryl Thiodipropionate
Fragrance
Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium Metasilicate
Titanium Dioxide
View Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) »

Ingredients that make up one percent or more of the contents of a product by weight are listed in descending order. Ingredients that make up less than one percent of a product are listed in alphabetical order. Clorox provides a separate list of all the fragrance ingredients used in our household and professional cleaning, disinfecting and laundry products.

Maybe one of the chemists on the site can tell if this is bad for tires…..?

Mark
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:37 PM

I seem to be having mixed results with my wide whites, maybe some premature wear that I was concerned about and am currently trying to prevent and was hoping to chime in. My question is what is a good remedy or old trick for whitewalls already showing wear, not so much for discoloration but rather dryness/light crackling, something that really puts the moisture back into that white rubber? something that would be good to use all the time, and where to find? thanks

Last edited by 63super88; March 26th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM

Smile

Check out a company called Tuf Shine.You must use their tire cleaner and Brush, before using the sealer. Whole kit cost about $40. ,but it gets some awesome reviews that says if you do this correctly it last for months. Larry
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Check out a company called Tuf Shine.You must use their tire cleaner and Brush, before using the sealer. Whole kit cost about $40. ,but it gets some awesome reviews that says if you do this correctly it last for months. Larry
I have sent these people an email asking them for assurance it won't damage the white wall. Ill let you know what comes back. I have noticed that these tires are magnets for dust and possibly the sealer the have will help with cleaning once the coating is on…Im a little hesitant on using a clear coat sealer on them though….
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:27 AM

Update

After about 4000 miles my wide whites have settled down to what I feel is somewhat normal. They may have had something on them from the factory at first that caused dirt to attract more than usual but part of the problem is they are 3 inches wide and there is just more area exposed to get dirty and they do....Tedd
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:57 PM

I got their reply today…think it may be worth a try;

"Thank you for your email and your interest in TUF SHINE.

We have enjoyed success with our TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat protecting the white letters and whitewalls on the sidewall of tires. Once applied, it seals the sidewall from road contaminates and helps to maintain the white appearance, in addition to providing an easy to clean surface on the entire sidewall. Our Tire Clearcoat is water based and will protect the sidewall for an extended period of time (depending on driving habits & exposure) And you can achieve the desired level of shine just by applying more coats....from a matte finish to a glossy finish.

It is very important that the surface be prepared correctly, and by that I mean that the sidewall must be thoroughly cleaned and be free of any left over silicone or petroleum based tire dressings/contaminates of any kind. Even new tires have a silicone residue on them left over from the tire mold when manufactured. Preparing the sidewall is the MOST IMPORTANT step in our system. Once completed and the Tire Clearcoat is applied, maintenance is very easy. No more scrubbing or harsh cleaners are necessary. You can wash your tires with the same solution used to wash the vehicle."
Old June 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM

A new product I was recently introduced to amazed me.
Sanctiond (missing the 'E') Brite White.
I look after my white walls but they still end up browning from the oils in the rubber. This stuff you spray on, light rub and hose off. All the oils stains and finger prints just hose off, you can even see the foam go brown from the oils.
No bleach either
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:41 PM

I have used Bleachy White for almost 40 years on my black/white wall tires. I have never had a negative experience. Last year I replaced the 25 year old wide whites on my Imperial from Lucas. They did not have any weather checking on the tread or sidewall areas. Two years ago I tried a NEW product to give shine and protect my sidewalls. It is made by Dupicolor and called "Tire Shine Coating" It is a aresol spray (15.3 oz) that dries to a DRY gloss. If you follow directions the application may last up to a year in my experience. I'm not aware of another product that goes on wet and dries to the touch. It is not greasy nor does it attract dirt or brake dust. I purchased mine from O'Reillys for approx. $8 a can.