General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Prepping for 5200 Mile Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2024, 07:19 PM

Prepping for 5200 Mile Road Trip

Taking the family of four on a road trip out west in a few months in my 68 Cutlass. Below is a list of misc prep tasks and/or questions I have...
  • fix coolant leak - in progress
  • install air-lift helper bags in rear springs (expecting a full trunk & backseat)
  • fine-tune carb - need to finish installing the wideband and data logger.
  • fix or replace tach - aftermarket tick-toch-tac stopped working a few weeks ago. Clock portion still works, and connecting a spare tack to the terminal on the back via alligator clip shows that the signal wire from the distributor is good. Realllllllly don't want to pull this w/ the dash in but REALLLLLLLLY don't want to pull the dash. Kind of sucks, the tach is hard to see in the 68 dash anyways.
  • Mat for trunk - I feel like anything I put in the trunk slides all over the place. Would a rubber mat help that? What do you do to tie things down in the trunk?
Thanks.
Old April 9th, 2024, 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
Taking the family of four on a road trip out west in a few months in my 68 Cutlass. Below is a list of misc prep tasks and/or questions I have...
  • fix coolant leak - in progress
  • install air-lift helper bags in rear springs (expecting a full trunk & backseat)
  • fine-tune carb - need to finish installing the wideband and data logger.
  • fix or replace tach - aftermarket tick-toch-tac stopped working a few weeks ago. Clock portion still works, and connecting a spare tack to the terminal on the back via alligator clip shows that the signal wire from the distributor is good. Realllllllly don't want to pull this w/ the dash in but REALLLLLLLLY don't want to pull the dash. Kind of sucks, the tach is hard to see in the 68 dash anyways.
  • Mat for trunk - I feel like anything I put in the trunk slides all over the place. Would a rubber mat help that? What do you do to tie things down in the trunk?
Thanks.
I'm thinking you first need to load your trunk w/ items required for a 5200 mile road trip. By the time you load luggage, suit cases, duffel bags, & a road hazard box/bag/tools, etc. I'm thinking there won't exist much room for anything to slide. And, if required they make bungee cords.
Old April 9th, 2024, 09:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

With the things you mention you are going to do, I would do a shakedown cruise of maybe 100 mile to make sure you got everything done correctly. Do you really need the tach for this trip? It might be a good idea to join AAA. It could come in handy if you have problems. Don't forget to check belts and hoses and the age of you tires. They should not be over ten years old and preferably a little less.
Old April 10th, 2024, 03:14 AM

You should also load the kids in the back seat and your wife in the passenger's seat. See how the car sits fully loaded and take that 100 mile practice trip.
Old April 10th, 2024, 03:28 AM

Totes! When I do a drag and drive events, I have totes setup for different scenarios: tire changes, tuning, electrical and plumbing repair etc. They also consolidate small items.
We change tires everyday, so Milwaukee cordless tools work great, as well as a rechargeable LED light. Don't forget the chargers for the hotels. I carry a spare alternator, belts, and starter.
They airbags work excellent for load leveling. Make sure the exhaust is not too close; it will burn a hole in the bag. Luckily, they're fairly easy to change.
Happy travels!

Old April 10th, 2024, 03:38 AM

I’m with Flemming. I always carry belts, alternator (not a starter), but also a few long spark plug wires(ohm tested), cap, rotor, magnetic pickup, fuses and a coil. It always seems to be something electrical for me.

plus tools!
Old April 10th, 2024, 04:17 AM

What brand roof rack is that? I'm surprised to see one used on a classic car.
Old April 10th, 2024, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
What brand roof rack is that? I'm surprised to see one used on a classic car.
It's a Surco aluminum sitting on Bezos standard drip rail, tower mount, cross bars
Old April 10th, 2024, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm thinking you first need to load your trunk w/ items required for a 5200 mile road trip. By the time you load luggage, suit cases, duffel bags, & a road hazard box/bag/tools, etc. I'm thinking there won't exist much room for anything to slide. And, if required they make bungee cords.
That's a pretty good point.

I would do a shakedown cruise of maybe 100 mile to make sure you got everything done correctly. Do you really need the tach for this trip?
Good idea on the shakedown cruise. The tach is definitely not a must-have but it will annoy me if I don't have it.

I carry a spare alternator, belts, and starter.
I haven't made up my mind on what to bring for spare parts and tools yet. I was leaning towards packing lighter (small tool roll w/ just the basics, no spare parts), but you've got me thinking more about it.
Old April 10th, 2024, 05:48 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Spare ignition module if you have electronic/HEI, or points if you're old-school. One or two of those "Fix-a-Flat" cans. Duct tape (it's true what they say!). Electrician's tape. Jumpers. WD-40 or canned lithium grease. Belt(s).Basic hand tools. Quart of oil. Shop and paper towels. In my cars, these things all fit neatly in a medium-size Rubbermaid tote. If you have any space left over bring a gallon of coolant.

That said, don't overthink it. As Joe P. will probably be here to point out soon, these cars drove all over the continent and then some when they were new, with infrequent and minimal trouble.

And don't put a rubber mat in your trunk. They're moisture traps.

EDIT: Oh, and fire extinguisher!
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

When I do drives like Power Tour, I pack any and all parts that will be difficult to find on the road - and for a 1962 F85 that's pretty much everything. Since I swapped to an imported electronic distributor, I packed the old points unit plus a new coil (which saved me on the way to Nationals last year when the nearly-new Pertronix coil crapped out in the middle of nowhere. As I learned in 2019, fix anything that is at all questionable (U-joints, anyone?). Be sure your cooling system is up to snuff. Also fix all those annoying but non-fatal issues you've been living with up until now, as they do get old in a hurry. New wipers, belts, hoses, fresh tune, verify the brakes are in good shape, etc, etc. I also pack a small hydraulic jack, two stands, and a pad in addition to tools and test equipment.
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:19 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
That said, don't overthink it.
^^x2^^

1967 4-4-2 (purchased 10/1969 17K mile). Three road trips Elgin, IL <> Ft. Lauderdale, FL (1970/71/72). 1972 4-4-2 (purchased 1977 48K miles). Four road trips Los Angeles, CA <> Elgin, IL (1978/79/80/81). Not a glitch, not a worry. Some of my fondest memories.
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

The one thing I began carrying at the recommendation of several of my friends (back then) was a thermostat. I never had an issue, some friends did on their various cars.
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:31 AM
Bfg

Don’t forget the Bible
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bfg
Don’t forget the Bible
Impromptu wheel chock?
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:41 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Axiom: the one thing you need will be the thing you forget.
Old April 10th, 2024, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Axiom: the one thing you need will be the thing you forget.
That is a given.
Old April 10th, 2024, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
New wipers, belts, hoses, fresh tune..
Ooh, good catch on the wipers - the ones on the car are probably 20 years old.
Old April 10th, 2024, 11:39 AM

Thanks.
That takes stones! Where will you store the wheelbarrow you use to carry them around? Lots of luck.
Old April 10th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
That takes stones! Where will you store the wheelbarrow you use to carry them around? Lots of luck.
Facts! I tried taking pops on Drag Week; it did not go well. I guess we just don't have that kind of relationship after 52 years. My wife hates old cars, but my 15yr old had a blast chasing Sick Week around Florida in the lowered Suburban. Go figure.
Old April 10th, 2024, 12:43 PM

5200 miles??
I can't add anything to what's already been suggested. I'm just here to say I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Old April 10th, 2024, 01:55 PM

It was my turn to plan the family vacation - the last one was to Disney in FL several years ago. It started with wanting to see the enormous redwoods in CA...then I wanted to get a picture of my car driving through one...then as long as we are on the west coast we should take the opportunity to see San Diego (my kids and wife are REALLY into zoos. Seriously...really into them.). Oh, and along the way too and from the west coast, let's take a quick peak at national parks and monuments along the way so that the kids have a better idea of which ones they would want to take a dedicated vacation to in the future. The miles add up quickly.

We've got it mostly planned out, hotels picked out and reservations made. Goal is to take it easy on the family - no more than 8 hours driving per day, with most days having afternoon's "off" at the stops along the way. I mostly held to that too.
Old April 10th, 2024, 01:55 PM

It's easy for me to not overthink this. I wouldn't even begin to think about taking a 5200 mile trip with my wife and kids in a 56 year old car, no matter how charming the concept. Yes, these cars were driven all over the country when they were new, but this car is not new. It's 56 years old, and the safety features in it just do not even begin to compare with modern vehicles. It isn't just having seat belts. This car has no antilock brakes, no airbags, and crash protection is primitive compared to today. Leave the old car for the car shows and cruise-ins, and take the family trip in a car that was at least built in this century.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

It was my turn to plan the family vacation - the last one was to Disney in FL several years ago. It started with wanting to see the enormous redwoods in CA...then I wanted to get a picture of my car driving through one...then as long as we are on the west coast we should take the opportunity to see San Diego (my kids and wife are REALLY into zoos. Seriously...really into them.). Oh, and along the way too and from the west coast, let's take a quick peak at national parks and monuments along the way so that the kids have a better idea of which ones they would want to take a dedicated vacation to in the future. The miles add up quickly.

We've got it mostly planned out, hotels picked out and reservations made. Goal is to take it easy on the family - no more than 8 hours driving per day, with most days having afternoon's "off" at the stops along the way. I mostly held to that too.
Eight hours of driving every day is brutal. I've done that for one, maybe two days at a time, and usually by myself. Plan on more like 4-6 hours actual driving each day. With bathroom, gas, and food stops, that's a solid 8+ hours on the road.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:13 PM

As a veteran of a couple Drag Weeks and Power Tours, I can tell you without a doubt more than likely whatever you need, you will have none with you, but a stack of them at home.

I would suggest basic hand tools, old clothes, and maybe a water pump or whatever else the parts stores don’t stock anymore. Don’t bother with belts and coolant, that stuff is available at any decent parts store. And if needed, you could always empty the melted ice from your cooler into the radiator. I would suggest keeping a couple quarts of oil if you use the old school hot rod oils for flat tappet cams. Around here, that kind of oil is getting harder to find.

I would assume since you are even considering this trip, you are confident in the car’s mechanical condition. Give the car a detailed inspection, address any concerns while in the comfort of your garage, and relax. When these cars were new, they were expected to be able to drive anywhere without a hassle. Assuming the car is in good condition there is zero reason it won’t today.

I have air bags in the coil springs, it doesn’t take much air to keep the car level when it’s fully loaded. If I remember correctly 15psi is all that was needed when the trunk is full, and the Uhaul trailer was on the hitch.

As for packing the car, start playing Tetris! It will help using every little nook for the cargo. Unfortunately , these cars don’t have a lot of trunk space. I have a couple small totes that I keep the tools and spare parts in, I put that right behind the back seat. Run a rachet strap thru the handles, and hook onto the trunk lid support. Keep the seldom used stuff in the harder to get areas.

Last edited by matt69olds; April 10th, 2024 at 02:18 PM.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It's easy for me to not overthink this. I wouldn't even begin to think about taking a 5200 mile trip with my wife and kids in a 56 year old car, no matter how charming the concept. Yes, these cars were driven all over the country when they were new, but this car is not new. It's 56 years old, and the safety features in it just do not even begin to compare with modern vehicles. It isn't just having seat belts. This car has no antilock brakes, no airbags, and crash protection is primitive compared to today. Leave the old car for the car shows and cruise-ins, and take the family trip in a car that was at least built in this century.
We'll agree to disagree. Every car I own has anti-lock brakes and throttle control - it's called my right foot. Long before there was ABS, we were taught the "stab and steer" method. Simply pump the brake pedal as fast as you can while steering to avoid the obstacle. This got me out of a lot of stupid situations when I was young and idiotic. The other tool is what used to be called defensive driving. Be aware of every car around you and plan your next move assuming the other driver does the most bone-headed thing possible - because they will. I use this today, since my newest car is 40 years old. And let's be honest here. Not driving a rolling internet hot spot with a massive touch screen is probably the biggest safety feature there is.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:19 PM

Don't forget to think about where you're staying overnight. Even if my jalopies could make a trip like that (they couldn't)... I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to park my Oldsmobile or classic Ford truck outside at a hotel.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:20 PM

I just had a brainstorm: lots of SUVs have cargo nets that clip to hooks mounted to the floors and sides. Maybe you could find a couple in your local junkyard? There are lots of holes you could clip on the netting to keep things from sliding around.
Old April 10th, 2024, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Good lord, why even bother with owning a classic car if your scared to drive it?! Might as well keep it in the garage.

People managed just fine for almost 80 years without ABS, airbags, or any of the other safety features that society thinks you absolutely have to have. I’ll argue that a lot of these mandated safety features tend to make drivers over confident.

Know the limitations of the car, know the limitations of yourself, pay attention to the environment around you, and maintain a safe distance around you.

Old April 10th, 2024, 02:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We have a member in our Olds club that has a 68 Cutlass convertible. He and his wife take trips all over the country in it. The have even carried their granddaughter with them. Jessee you bring up a good point about parking. The desk clerk will usually let you park your car under the entrance for the night. Nobody is likely to fool with it there. There are also people on this forum that would come and assist you if you had trouble and are nearby.
Old April 10th, 2024, 03:05 PM
Banned

So many people just keep their cars in the garage and put less than a thousand miles on them in a year. I too just don't get that. Why even own it? Isn't the point to enjoy driving your whatever car??
Old April 10th, 2024, 03:37 PM

Does the '68 happen to have air conditioning? That makes such a difference. I did 4000 miles over two weeks in the summer of '77, camping. '69 Nova, 6cyl, "3-1-1;" three-on-the-tree, one-barrel, single exhaust. No A/C. Without air, I couldn't do that today.
Old April 10th, 2024, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
Does the '68 happen to have air conditioning? That makes such a difference. I did 4000 miles over two weeks in the summer of '77, camping. '69 Nova, 6cyl, "3-1-1;" three-on-the-tree, one-barrel, single exhaust. No A/C. Without air, I couldn't do that today.
X2 No-AC no cruise I did the Power Tour in the 67 years ago...Had no issues going from Dallas to Michigan, but the the was almost all rebuilt. The 455 ran 160 degrees all the way up and back...at 8-10 MPG...

Old April 10th, 2024, 04:12 PM

Earplugs.
Old April 10th, 2024, 04:28 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Fun71
Earplugs.
Maybe his kids are well-behaved.
Old April 10th, 2024, 04:51 PM

I had a 48 chevy Panel truck I drove 35,000 miles Canada to Mexico, all points between. This was in from 1973 to 1976. Carried minimal spares But I did have a set of tools. Most i was ever on the side of the road was a day. I kept the truck in very good mechanical condition . Drive the car and enjoy. The only problem I can see is the 8 hr driving days with the other family members. I used to hitchike if I had to get parts You can use uber
Old April 10th, 2024, 04:58 PM

I would add some sort of ignition disable, too. Trust no one. I've been in some sketchy situations in out of town hotels. Granted, if they really want it, they will get it.
A cautionary tale from a 'tuber I follow:
it's a damned shame
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:30 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

All systems need to be checked.
-clean both ends of both battery cables. load test the battery. Battery disconnect on the neg terminal. Take the green wheel with you at night.
-check all lights
-points ignition?...bring spares... cap n rotor too
-brakes and the soft lines
-grease chassis. inspect BJs and rod ends front n rear bushings
-repack front wheel bearings
-Cooling...belts hoses clamps...t-stat...clutch fan...last flush was??
-fuel filter and a spare
-Change all fluids...trans, diff, pwr steer, brake.
-wiper blades
-fresh spare tire with a small not bumper jack and a good tire iron. DOT date on present tires is?
-RainX
-high quality tire plug kit, tub not tube of glue and an air tank
-spare fluids...premixed coolant
-make sure your insurance coverage allows the road trip and allows flat bed towing. Have their number in your phone.
-leaves room for a tooth brush and a spare set of drawers.
Old April 10th, 2024, 06:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
I would add some sort of ignition disable, too. Trust no one. I've been in some sketchy situations in out of town hotels. Granted, if they really want it, they will get it.

Seriously, a kill switch is a cheap, effective deterrent. You don't have to make the car theft-proof, you just have to make it harder to steal than the next one. No thief is going to spend any time troubleshooting if the car doesn't start immediately. Heck, most today don't know how to start a car with a carb anyway. And as noted, if they want the car, they will take it. Keep in mind that no matter what kind of deterrents you have, these trucks exist.

Old April 10th, 2024, 07:00 PM

al the prep that's been said, plus align the front end, leave itinerary with someone just
in case.

Quick Reply: Prepping for 5200 Mile Road Trip