General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pate swap meet!!

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Pate swap meet!!

I know there are some dfw people out there. Just thought I would throw this reminder out there. April 26-29th. Im sooo excited. I havent been to Pate in almost 20 years, and now its only about 5-10 miles from my house. And no friggin mud or at least not as much as it used to be since its at Texas Motor Speedway now! Anyone out there going?
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM

But it won't have the cool Houndog cruise missile parked out front! A buddy of mine bought the missile at auction about 10 yrs ago or so and it sits in his back yard.
I will drive past Cresson on Sunday and think about it!
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:31 AM

I have some spaces, I'll be there on Fri/Sat. It is more functional at the speedway, but there was more nostalgia at the museum. I was at the auction for the museum autos and memorabilia a couple of years ago. It was sad to see it liquidated.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Administrator

I miss Pate at the museum. It was also convenient, however the speedway does have more room.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
car guy

I will be walking around on Friday. Never much Olds stuff but always cool stuff out there. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were walking around the real pate with my dad and uncle.
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Pate

I'm sure it will not be the same as it was when it was at Pate. I, too remember walking through the muddy field when I was a young teen. When my father and I first started going, we didnt even have a project going but still fun. Even more fun when you go with a purpose. Hate to hear that there hasnt been much olds stuff there, I remember there being a decent amount of olds stuff way back when. Or maybe thats just because my dad knew some of the olds guys back then and thats where we focused. But my first project wasnt even an olds! I was not unhappy with my 1969 firebird 400 though. lol
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM

There is less Olds specific items, but quite a bit of generic GM items that are Rocket compatible. I usually come home with something pretty neat. I will admit that it is as much a social event as it is a quest for parts. I will normally visit with a lot of friends while I am there that I may only see once during the year. The internet is great, it makes restoration a lot easier than it was up to the mid 90's. Swap meets are not nearly as efficient as "sitting at home naked in a bean bag chair with a bowl of Cheetos in one arm" and a Macbook/Paypal in the other. With that being said, it is nice to visit and mingle with the folks that keep the auto hobby alive. I hope to have the opportunity to visit with some of the folks from this forum as well, I'll be at the only space with a '92 Custom Cruiser with Impala SS wheels. Cheers!
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM

I went once when it was at the museum and at least 7 or 8 times since it moved to the race track. It was the best at the new venue that first year after it moved when it was in the infield. I enjoy it but Olds parts are few and far between these days.
If you have any of these vehicles you will find anything you need.
1. 55-57 Chevy
2. 65-66 Mustang, practically any year really except Mustang II
3. 68-72 Chevy pick up
4. 67-69 Camaro
5. 68-72 Nova
6. 4?-5? Chevy pick up (the old fat fendered ones)
7. Rat Rod
8. 64-72 Chevelle
As I said I really enjoy Pate but it is so big it's hard to cover it all. It can get really hot in the giant asphalt parking lot swap area when the sun is out. I'll be going with high hopes to find some cool parts. There used to be a guy with some good Olds parts that flew an Oldsmobile flag but I haven't seen that flag in over 5 years. Good hunting everyone!