General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Part warranty expirations on long term project

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Part warranty expirations on long term project

My project car is completely disassembled as I was in the middle of doing body work when I moved and the car has been sitting for a year as I have been working on getting the house and shop setup. Long story short, the project is taking awhile. I'm at the point where I need to start planning for the transmission to ensure tunnel clearance, cross member relocation, etc. It's a big purchase. Lets say I drop 4grand on a transmission and parts only to have the warranty expire on everything before I actually have a chance to test it and find out that I have a big problem. This is just an example as there are dozens of parts that will be in this kind of situation. I don't suppose that there is a real answer to my question but just wanted to say my thoughts out loud. I guess I just plan the best I can and take the risks as I go?
Old October 28th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you could find a core transmission to use for the fab work that might work and then sell it when you are done. As for as the rest of the parts there is not much you can do other than wait as long as you can to purchase them.
Old October 28th, 2022, 10:41 AM

^^^THIS^^^

If you buy a core engine/transmission you can always have them rebuilt later after all the bodywork is done.
Old October 28th, 2022, 10:52 AM

Just to complicate your issue even more, there could be expressed and implied warranties that vary among the laws of multiple applicable jurisdictions. Just because you live in Oregon does not mean that the applicable law for warranty and time limitations for legal actions is that of Oregon and its version of the UCC. There can be situations in which claims may lie outside the UCC and the law of warranty.
Old October 28th, 2022, 12:10 PM

Regarding the transmission, I was eyeing the KTX which appears to be a drop-in (for the sheet metal) although I highly doubt I'll find a core for that. There isn't much I can do except for plan the best I can, I just was noticing the new parts piling up and realizing that the warranties on the parts didn't have any value...
Old October 28th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Warranties have always been an issue with long term restos.
Old October 28th, 2022, 05:58 PM
72Cutlass S

Ran into this while restoring my sons C10 pickup. Had the trans rebuilt a couple years ago for massive leaks. He drove it for about 6 months then decided he wanted to strip it down to bare metal and re paint and also have it cut down to a short bed. The trans is leaking again from sitting for almost 2 years. There is no way I would ask the rebuilder to warranty it. We are just going to talk to him and hope for mercy on his part. Hopefully it is a bad servo cover seal or something else that is cheap and easy.