General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I'm getting rid of my A/C on my 1969

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I'm getting rid of my A/C on my 1969

After a few thoughts on the matter, this weekend, I'm getting rid of my Factory A/C unit on my 69 Cutlass. At least all the stuff on and around the engine area. I'm turning the Car into a Street Hot Rod and have Lived in Florida so long I'm really use to driving around in the heat anyway. All my friends are telling me to leave it alone. But I want it out of my way when working on car-(I.E-changing plugs, header gaskets etc..) It works but needs a little attention. Plus I think the Engine will look better all cleaned up without this junk in the way. It's really allot of stuff on these Old A/C units. It is a 69 factory A/C car and I'll just put the stuff in a Box and if I ever decide to sell the Car-(which I won't) the new owner can put it all back if he so desires. Also does anyone know someone who makes a plate to perfectly cover the firewall where I will be taking off the A/C Stuff? Thanks and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557405@N08/
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I agree that the old GM A/C unit takes up a lot of space. My Olds has the street/drag car theme and as such also had the HVAC yanked out. For me it isn't too bad. Where I am the number of days it goes over 90 in the summer can usually be counted on one hand. For you in the sunshine state though, I think I'd want the AC.
Why not consider an aftermarket HVAC unit like those from Vintage Aire? You'd have the best of both worlds, a clean firewall and a chilled butt in the summer.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM

I guess it's just that I'm an Old time Hot Rodder-(Only-46) But never had an A/C in any of my Hot Rods when I was younger)(If I did out they went)and know I'm not the type to use it. I like the Car screaming down the road with the windows open!
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Are you keeping the heater?
Parts Place has a 68-72 AC firewall delete cover but not sure if it's what you're looking for.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...umber%20Search
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Here is a company that sells AC delete boxes.

http://www.acdelete.com/index.htm

If you are going to take the AC off make sure you remove the hoses, receiver/driver, evaporator, and accumulator. I hate seeing a car that doesn't have a compressor but still has all the other AC components on it. It really makes the car 10 times uglier unless you do it right. Sounds like you are one the right track though. Good luck.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Trying to remember member

Bravo for getting rid of the AC. AC is for sissies and has no place on a *real* musclecar.
(There, that should stir things up a bit)

Personally, I've always wanted my performance cars to be sans AC. It robs power, adds weight, and gets in the way. A pure vintage musclecar is about performance not comfort. So that is an option I specifically don't want. I'm lucky to have Oldsmobiles that don't have AC, because due to the nature of Oldsmobiles in the market, it was a very common option. And is still popular option for most guys it seems. Just not me.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Me To

I am going the same route, ugly and in the way!

I think OPGI has one also.

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?topc...3578&yearrange=
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks for all the replies and assistance. I'll also be kicking the Heater to the way side as well. Only need one down here in Florida about 1 day a year.

tdubis-Thanks for the parts tip. Have you already ordered this part and used it? I am doing away with the Heater as well but this looks like a quick way to get done what I want.

Has anyone ordered from any of these other companies selling these Firewall delete parts? If so let me know. OPG I know well and there's looks to be the cheapest on this.

Thanks for everyone's time.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I am also doing the same on my 72. I removed everything including the heat under the dash etc. I welded new metal over the existing ac hole and finished the firewall smooth. However, I am looking to add vintage air or old air products heat and ac in the future. But only for the wife! Myself, I like the windows down, so I can feel the breeze and listen to the exhaust!
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM

I'll also be kicking the Heater to the way side as well.
Do you plan on removing the dash, door panels, window glass, power steering, belt driven water pump, and all unecessary sheet metal and plastic? I've seen cars done this way. I don't know if it really saves that much weight, but you might as well go all the way.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Jeez, what a Job this has been. I almost have everything out now. This was really a task. I'll need to take the finally big piece out from underneath the dash and plug a couple of Holes in the Fire Wall, but what a difference. I sware that A/c parts removed so far have added up to a combine weight of 300pds!
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead1218
I agree that the old GM A/C unit takes up a lot of space. My Olds has the street/drag car theme and as such also had the HVAC yanked out. For me it isn't too bad. Where I am the number of days it goes over 90 in the summer can usually be counted on one hand. For you in the sunshine state though, I think I'd want the AC.
Why not consider an aftermarket HVAC unit like those from Vintage Aire? You'd have the best of both worlds, a clean firewall and a chilled butt in the summer.
My '70 Supreme had the A/C removed when I got it but I don't think I'll be reinstalling it, I live in Webster, so we're in the same weather boat.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Webster, I was just up there at that Auto festival down the street from the Webster Flea Market a few weeks back. No Olds or Olds Parts though!
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Webster, I was just up there at that Auto festival down the street from the Webster Flea Market a few weeks back. No Olds or Olds Parts though!
Any swap meets coming up soon in our area?
I just moved here last summer
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM

There are several up there at the Sumter county Fairgrounds. As I said it's about a mile from Webster Flea-Market. There are a few throughout the year in and around Tampa but none worth the price of admission. I've lived here for 40 years so I've watched the Good ones fade away.. On the other hand there are tons of Car Shows. There is a great Car show this Saturday at downtown Plant City. It's right in the middle of town so you can't miss it. Always a few Olds there. There is sometimes 800 vintage Muscle etc cars there.....Will be about a 45 minute ride for you heading south.