General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How many of you have one (or more) of these?🤔

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2020, 08:04 PM

How many of you have one (or more) of these?🤔

I dunno if there's an existing thread on this, but since I've owned my '72 Supreme, I've "documented" the work I've done with pictures.

Shortly after I started, I decided to start a scrap book (or build book if you will).

It has since evolved into a chronological history of the car's life since I've owned it, including events I've attended.

After my latest update tonight, I thought I'd share some pics.

Old November 7th, 2020, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I never felt the need to do that. With that said your scrap/build book is very nice.
Old November 8th, 2020, 07:23 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Ocd
Old November 8th, 2020, 07:30 AM

I have one with pictures of "major" things, such as the paint job, convertible top replacement, engine rebuild, recovering the seats, etc. Way too many things dating back from the 90s to capture it all, especially when a lot of it was done prior to digital camera days when I had to be judicious about how many pictures were taken.
Old November 8th, 2020, 08:01 AM

I have a picture history of the build that I use at shows from out of the barn to finished and driving the car. People seem to enjoy it and it generates questions and interest in a car that few know much about... Tedd
Old November 8th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have one that begins with my 54 when it had a cheap gold paint job and was being loaded into an enclosed trailer in California.
Old November 8th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I have a binder full of documentation (P-O-P, two IBM trim cards, some dealer info) and whatever history was available from previous owners, plus a few pictures of the engine and trans rebuilds. Also a petrified mouse we found under the rear seat.

Other than that, the car has to speak for itself.
Old November 8th, 2020, 01:24 PM

My friend bought a beautiful 36ish Chev hotrod from a noted local builder, and it came with a very thorough manual compiled by the builder. It included extensive photos of the resto, manuals for all aftermarket equipment installed, wiring schematics, procedure instructions and so on. It was all put together as tightly as the car itself, and my friend has found it quite useful.
Old November 8th, 2020, 03:05 PM
Randy C.

I assembled a scrapbook of some 80 pages documenting the history and restoration of my '68 4-4-2 convertible. The history was made somewhat easy as my parents bought the car new and I was able to obtain the original vehicle licensing history through the State of Oregon DMV when they bought it and relicensing info when they moved to the State of Washington was with the car when I obtained it, along with the original window sticker. Got lots of pictures of its restoration as well. OCD, most definitely, but I still treasure it!

Randy C.
Old November 9th, 2020, 06:02 AM

I've got albums full of the cars I've built, but I did a special one for the Kopper Kart. All leather, and full documentation of the build. Even car people have no idea how much work, how many modifications, and fabrication went into this project, so a scrapbook seemed a great way to show them. I even made copper plated trim and the plastic name on the cover, just like on the side of the real truck.

Old November 9th, 2020, 06:13 AM

I have lots of photos from various projects/upgrades from the early years of owning my car. Unfortunately, most of the newer stuff is on my phone. I need to print them and update my scrapbook.

I do have a 3 ring binder with all the owners manual and instructions for the parts on my car. I also try to keep a detailed log book of all the non-stock parts or part numbers for things I have adapted to my car. I also have detailed pinout and wire colors for all my custom wiring. I try to use GM color codes whenever possible, a pinout does come in handy when I’m trying to remember how I set something up.

Right now, having that info helps. Hopefully after I take that big dirt nap the books will help my son when it becomes his car.
Old November 9th, 2020, 06:52 AM

Very cool!

I have a binder that holds all the receipts for my 71 and various brik-a-brak (advertisements, dealer brochures, etc.).
Old November 9th, 2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Very cool!

I have a binder that holds all the receipts for my 71 and various brik-a-brak (advertisements, dealer brochures, etc.).
Yup..I have a separate binder that has the owner history.
Old November 9th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Count me in.... I keep a binder in the car with all the car's restoration history and receipts as well as mid 50's Olds statistics.