General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how a major car meet got ruined by greed

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

how a major car meet got ruined by greed

http://www.arthritisautoshow.com/

this used to be called the Len Immke Classic before the Arthritis foundation took it over.

this used to a premier car show with some of the nicest cars in the midwest showing up,including some amazing survivor cars.

i completely understand that the Arthritis Foundation is a good cause,but all i can say is do not waste your time taking your car to this show.

it's been ruined by the people running the show..they feel the main purpose of this show is to get in your wallet,and they aren't ashamed to say it.

they do not care if you just bought a brand new Cobalt,if you have $50,you can put it in the show,and get mixed in with the Hemi challengers,and 428 Cobra Torinos.

they even have a set of trophies set aside for a PT Cruiser club that seems to have taken over the show because they get 30 to 40 people to enter this POS in the show.

i heard a lot of grumbling from folks who had brought 100 point cars to this meet.

to me,this show disrespects every person who broke their neck and wallet restoring their car to original or customized condition.

can you imagine spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time and sweat to make your car the best it could be,only to see a 2 year old PT Cruiser with a friggin mural on it's trunk and teddy bear in the backseat win a 6 foot trophy?

i received a letter from the person running this show,and she basically admited that this show is about making money,and that's it.

what a shame,this used to be a huge quality car meet.

now it looks like a used car lot.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I've seen those shows your talking about many times even down here. I never go back to them. If P/T Cruisers want to have a show... good, but not with the Classics. The best show in my area-Plant city has a Pre-1980 rule and that suits me fine.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
car guy

Thats why I like Goodguys shows so much. No late model crap.

80-90's cars are not worth anything to me other than race car potential. I want to build another g-body or 3rd gen Fbody street / strip terror BAD!!!
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM

most of the stuff I go to is either AACA or OCA, mine are not really show cars, more basic transportation. Dougie, I am assuming you are in FL, check out our OCA chapter BOPC show in October
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Trying to remember member

Apparently you don't understand what a benefit is. I'd hardly call that greed. I suggest you stay away from benefits, because they are not about the cars, trophy hunters or 100 point anythings. Leave it to those that give a damn about the cause.
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

sorry,but youre wrong.
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by agtw31
sorry,but youre wrong.
I think you've made the value of you opinion perfectly clear.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM

http://www.arthritisautoshow.com/

this used to be called the Len Immke Classic before the Arthritis foundation took it over.

this used to a premier car show with some of the nicest cars in the midwest showing up,including some amazing survivor cars.

i completely understand that the Arthritis Foundation is a good cause,but all i can say is do not waste your time taking your car to this show.

it's been ruined by the people running the show..they feel the main purpose of this show is to get in your wallet,and they aren't ashamed to say it.

they do not care if you just bought a brand new Cobalt,if you have $50,you can put it in the show,and get mixed in with the Hemi challengers,and 428 Cobra Torinos.

they even have a set of trophies set aside for a PT Cruiser club that seems to have taken over the show because they get 30 to 40 people to enter this POS in the show.

i heard a lot of grumbling from folks who had brought 100 point cars to this meet.

to me,this show disrespects every person who broke their neck and wallet restoring their car to original or customized condition.

can you imagine spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time and sweat to make your car the best it could be,only to see a 2 year old PT Cruiser with a friggin mural on it's trunk and teddy bear in the backseat win a 6 foot trophy?

i received a letter from the person running this show,and she basically admited that this show is about making money,and that's it.

what a shame,this used to be a huge quality car meet.

now it looks like a used car lot.
I hear you loud and clear. We have a winter world of wheels show that has become a deluted joke as well. 25 years back it was quite an event but greed set in and it is about 50% of what it was, and costs $12 to get in. The planners of these events may get a few extra bucks now, but when they lose the cars that people really want to see, there won't be as much going to the cause. If you want to see a PT Cruiser head over to Wal Mart and drive around the lot.
We have a back to the 50's show every summer here in Minnesota that is for 64 and older cars with over 11,000 cars there...no exceptions.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM

hey take it easy guys! I'll agree about 75% with you guys but i'm 21 so the 80's cars are classics now! v8 rear drive. They may not be unbelievably fast or quite as nice looking as the 60's-70's cars but they're older than me and I think they are awesome, not to mention the fact that it's all I can afford. Does that count as off topic?
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by deltathunder
hey take it easy guys! I'll agree about 75% with you guys but i'm 21 so the 80's cars are classics now! v8 rear drive. They may not be unbelievably fast or quite as nice looking as the 60's-70's cars but they're older than me and I think they are awesome, not to mention the fact that it's all I can afford. Does that count as off topic?
I feel humbled ...and Old
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:04 AM

Kinda scary how the years start to fly. I remember thinking the 88 IROC Z was the pinnacle of cool. Now....
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM

I don't mind seeing all types of cars at a car show. If it is something like a PT Cruiser or an 83 Cutlass 4 door with 24" donks then I will glance at it, appreciate it for being a well maintained car, and go onto the muscle cars or classics.

My friend is driving up to the Twin Cities tomorrow for a pre 1964 car show. There are supposed to be thousands of cars there. He has a 1963 Ford Galaxy. I am sure it will be a fun show. Unfortunately, I couldn't enter my 1971 Olds 98 in that show. Oh well, to each his own.

Of course, if registration prices are outrageous then it might not be worth it to go to the car show. Just have to decide on a case by case basis.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I don't mind seeing all types of cars at a car show. If it is something like a PT Cruiser or an 83 Cutlass 4 door with 24" donks then I will glance at it, appreciate it for being a well maintained car, and go onto the muscle cars or classics.

My friend is driving up to the Twin Cities tomorrow for a pre 1964 car show. There are supposed to be thousands of cars there. He has a 1963 Ford Galaxy. I am sure it will be a fun show. Unfortunately, I couldn't enter my 1971 Olds 98 in that show. Oh well, to each his own.

Of course, if registration prices are outrageous then it might not be worth it to go to the car show. Just have to decide on a case by case basis.
Well said,
People don't mind paying to support their own hobbies and helping out a fellow person with a benefit of some kind, but it seems that when a group of guys are having fun doing something, wheather it be car shows, hunting, fishing, watching professional sports etc. all profits are maximized to the point where a guy can't afford to take his family. I guess thats just the way it is. It would be hard for an organizer to resist the temptation to broaden the rules to make some extra money and real hard to tell if it was a mistake.
We have a local pre 74 car show every Friday night and somehow a group of Pt Cruisers got in. I'm afraid their beginning to take over the world.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MN71W30
...but it seems that when a group of guys are having fun doing something, wheather it be car shows, hunting, fishing, watching professional sports etc. all profits are maximized to the point where a guy can't afford to take his family...
Sorry, but again, I think some folks are missing the point. The original event in question was a CHARITY FUNDRAISER. The whole purpose of the event was to maximize the amount of money raised for the charity benefiting from it. I don't argue that fun events have been spoiled by people, but in this case I believe you are all barking up the wrong tree. If the inclusion of late model cars increases the amount of money raised for the charity, then that was EXACTLY the right thing to do. If someone is entering this show with the intent of winning a trophy, they that person is confused.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM

However, with that said, the fact it's doing some good doesn't mean the car show itself is good. I think his initial point was simply, the car show isn't good anymore because they've changed their focus (bringing in good cars vs. making money for charity). There's clearly a place for both. It's just too bad they can't coincide as one, but the organizers have decided to simply go in the most profitable direction.

What is always a VERY curious question to me is, how much is actually given to those the charity is deemed and how much is going in the pockets of the "operators." I'd rather not be cynical when on the surface people appear to be doing some good. However, over the years, there's been so many cases of people doing anything but, it's hard not to wonder. But that's another issue....
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

i just don't agree.

when it was len immke,they didnt allow new cars in the meet,and it was a benefit show.

they also didnt just let certain people bring their cars in for free,but charge others $50

if you want money for your charity,do like jerry lewis does.

have a tv marathon.

as for trophies,when a rednecked up 69 charger beats out a survivor 390 4 speed 69 cyclone for 2nd place in pure stock,you know it's a joke.

as far as im concerned,if it came with a catalytic convertor,it's a POS.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM

my 3 came with catalytic convertors and I love them, my way of being green

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

That 76 Custom Cruiser is definitely COOL!
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I really don't see a problem with inviting all cars to shows. One of the best shows here in Oregon does allow all, BUT.... They separate the cars by years or style and that saves the PT's being next to classic muscle or a 100pt 60's drop top. In this day and age EVERYONE is about making money sometimes just to be able to continue the event, and I can accept that. What I have a hard time dealing with is the awards going to OUR FREINDS rather then the car that should have recieved it. A lot of the people that like the hobby these days are young and do have different interests and that is what will keep the hobby alive. If we continue to limit these individuals from attending we are not allowing some of the young people to be exposed to what we have to offer. If they have no interest when we are, gone so will the wonderful cars we have spent generations preserving.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but again, I think some folks are missing the point. The original event in question was a CHARITY FUNDRAISER. The whole purpose of the event was to maximize the amount of money raised for the charity benefiting from it. I don't argue that fun events have been spoiled by people, but in this case I believe you are all barking up the wrong tree. If the inclusion of late model cars increases the amount of money raised for the charity, then that was EXACTLY the right thing to do. If someone is entering this show with the intent of winning a trophy, they that person is confused.
Exactly my point.
1. Its pretty simple. If you don't want to support the charity/benefit/show, don't go. The reason for the show is to raise money for the cause. Not to cater to some self centered car owner in need of attention.
2. If your that narrow minded about what you like, don't go to multi-make multi-year shows. Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want. We should be glad we *do* like different cars.
Our 21 year old poster (deltathunder) deserves some respect.
There is no reason to so critical about what other people like.
Give it a rest.
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM

I remember going to car shows in the early 70's and nobody cared too much about Chevelles or 442's, they were a dime a dozen and most people thought of them as gas guzzlers. Heck they drove them to the shows to see the old cars. And yes, they were as common as PT Cruiser's at Kmart. The cars I remember seeing were mainly the 20's to 50's cars. It may take some time for some to consider the 80's and 90's cars as collector cars but in time they will be. The last thing I would ever want to do is discourage a kid from fixing up a car. I think it is a great hobby.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I am going back this year and making my donation just hoping to see the 1970 Boss 429 Stang that I saw last year. A non Mopar Hemi is real sweet in my book.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

how many times have any of you "donated" to enter your car in this meet?

ive enterred 5 different cars in 20 years,last 2 times with a w31.

so i have "donated" enough to make a view known,and heard.

and im telling you,when it was len immke, they never would allow such a thing as a PT Cruiser into the show..

they knew that what people were coming to see were classic cars,not something you see on a used car lot..

they have not only muscleacars at this event,but ferraris and porsches,not just another run of the mill Musclecar meet.

and it has nothing to do with trophies.i never even mentioned that.

no disprespect intended to anybody with a catalytic converted vehicle.
the actual reason i said that is because i laugh at people with 25 year old delta 88's,who think they are classics.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM

the actual reason i said that is because i laugh at people with 25 year old delta 88's,who think they are classics.
That is indeed disrespectful, despite any contestation to the contrary.

Just because one does not think they are classics does not mean they are not, just means one doesn't think it.

That's like me saying "I mean no disrespect but I think people from Columbus, Ohio are all idiots" and "Cutlasses are just cheap intermediates for people that can not afford full-size luxury cars".

A generalization with which I'd bet you'd disagreee.

Last edited by jeffreyalman; June 16th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I remember going to car shows in the early 70's and nobody cared too much about Chevelles or 442's, they were a dime a dozen and most people thought of them as gas guzzlers. Heck they drove them to the shows to see the old cars. And yes, they were as common as PT Cruiser's at Kmart. The cars I remember seeing were mainly the 20's to 50's cars. It may take some time for some to consider the 80's and 90's cars as collector cars but in time they will be. The last thing I would ever want to do is discourage a kid from fixing up a car. I think it is a great hobby.
And the very cars that *some* people think are the only good (respectable) Oldsmobiles (442, W-31s, etc.) were at that time considered to be outcasts by the Oldsmobile Club of America. That is why there was a "Performance Chapter" was formed. I know because I was there and involved. The Performance Chapter does not exist any more. Why? Because those cars are all mainstream now.
Shame on us if *we* continue the prejudice.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM

hmmm '84 '85 '86...... hey my delta is 25 years old!.... I'll have you know it's plenty old enough to be rusting away. For a 21 year old if I can get my hands on it and it is old enough to need restored then it is a classic to me. Only oldsmobile I've owned so far and it is one that has moved any available gm counterpart dream car into the olds department so that car is very important to me. Between that car and a LATE 80's hurst olds lies all the credit for me loving oldsmobile as much as I do. As far as the car show is concerned I can almost agree with you because hey, it isn't helping the cause if someone like you is deterred next year because you thought the show lacked quality and exclusiveness, but at the same time I would blame the car owners and the people who stop to look at them more than the show itself. If they are submitting charity money by taking advantage of people with bad taste, I think it should be considered a win.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
That is indeed disrespectful, despite any contestation to the contrary.

Just because one does not think they are classics does not mean they are not, just means one doesn't think it.
let me be a little bit clearer.

i was referring to the goofballs out there that think their 84 toronado or something similar is worth 10k because now it's a "classic",just because the POS is still running after 25 years..

and of course,it needs a tune up

when i was in high school,the coolest car to have was a 76 cutlass or a trans am,but later on,i realized these cars were junk.

somebody might feel differentlythat's great,but i just feel that way.

good guys feels the same way,they will never allow a car newer than 72 in their meets.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM

sheesh just because it isn't the absolute peak year for the car doesn't mean it's junk. Just because it is a running 65' doesn't mean it's gold. A guy I used to work with had a hideous old 3 on the tree turquoise saab and although it would fit your rules a little better I would be in the smog v8 section all day before I would approach that at a car show. my girlfriend has a 1977 malibu with a roaring 145hp 305 2bbl and although it's performance is topped by a 10 year old 4 cylinder suzuki I still think it's a classic gm a body. It cost 1600 with minimal rust and good running condition. It's even a 4 door! Last time we went to a car show I wished I had brought it in the show because although aaaall the other malibus were in better condition they were either 69s or 78s so it would have been nice to see that old blue trooper of a classic in there.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM

........ this used to be called the Len Immke Classic before the Arthritis foundation took it over ........
Not according to the link you posted:

........ That first year, Leonard made a few telephone calls and raised $50,000. He then went on to present and host the first Arthritis Foundation Classic Auto Show. The first show was a small one-day event, but it was very successful. For the show's second year (1983), Leonard asked Jeff Brashares to Chair the show. That same year, the show was moved to a new home at Metro Place in Dublin, where it has continued to grow and prosper under Jeff's capable direction to become the huge two-day event that we enjoy so much today. In 1996, Andrew Trux joined the auto show's committee and he now faithfully serves as the event's Co-Chairman ........
http://www.arthritisautoshow.com/mission.php

And it appears that Mr. Immke is no longer personally involved, because he is no longer among the living.

Norm
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM

i laugh at people with 25 year old delta 88's,who think they are classics
Better not let J-Chicago hear you say that. He will jump on you like Jerry Springer on Octomom.

when i was in high school,the coolest car to have was a 76 cutlass or a trans am,but later on,i realized these cars were junk.
I can't believe I am hearing this!
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Not according to the link you posted:

before Immke died it was always referred to as the len immke classic.

but you wouldnt know that,would you

since you never heard of it until this topic
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:36 AM

........ but you wouldnt know that,would you ........
What i know, or do not know, has nothing to do with anything.

You posted the link, I quoted the site. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you wish to participate in a Pizzing contest, you can do it by yourself.

Norm
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Past Administrator

...as for trophies,when a rednecked up 69 charger beats out a survivor 390 4 speed 69 cyclone for 2nd place in pure stock,you know it's a joke.
Very subjective statement, it could just as well read like this coming from someone else "as for trophies,when a rednecked up 69 cyclone beats out a survivor 440 six pack charger for 2nd place in pure stock,you know it's a joke.". And forgive any errors I made in describing the mopar, just trying to make a point.

..as far as im concerned,if it came with a catalytic convertor,it's a POS.
Another very subjective statement.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88 coupe

If you wish to participate in a Pizzing contest, you can do it by yourself.

Norm
what are you talking about?
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM

let me be a little bit clearer.

i was referring to the goofballs out there that think their 84 toronado or something similar is worth 10k because now it's a "classic",just because the POS is still running after 25 years..

and of course,it needs a tune up

somebody might feel differentlythat's great,but i just feel that way.

good guys feels the same way,they will never allow a car newer than 72 in their meets.
You continue to dig yourself it deeper and deeper.
I guess I will have to junk my 77 Cutlass and my 78 Toronado, even though I was invited to the Forest Grove event here in Oregon. In your opinion they must fall into that JUNK statement. Anybody want my junk? They have a total of 26.7 original miles between them and might be worth something?

Who cares about Goodguys, I got rid of my streetrods because guys like Coddington and the $100,000 cars wrecked the hobby! Long live Rat Rods!
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM

IMHO This thread is going nowhere fast and should be closed.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM

keeping it green with my cats
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Guess I'll just go to the local cruise in at the Taco Time in Lynnwood where 30-40 cars show up every friday night and everyone just enjoys each others cars. It's free just bring your own lawn chair and soft drinks.
Everyones friendly and all kinds of cars are welcome from rat rods to low riders. I also do benefits because it just feels good to do good.
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
IMHO This thread is going nowhere fast and should be closed.
Agreed...let's try to moderate ourselves before we have to close this thread. Disagreements are fine, but there seems to be a rapid escalation in emotion. I really hate having to close threads, and treat adults as if they were my preschool children.
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Again, what part of "charity fundraiser" was not clear. They sole, stated purpose of the event is to raise as much money as possible. If all you care about is a trophy, save the entrance fee and use the money to buy yourself a trophy.

On a separate soapbox, I am constantly amazed at the attitude of people at car shows, particularly ones that are "judged" by spectator voting. You should be building your car for your own personal enjoyment, period. What someone else finds "collectible" or even just interesting is their choice. Some of the comments in this thread remind me of attitudes I've seen over at the AACA board, where a few people even think that musclecars are too new to be collectible.

It's all relative and frankly, life's too short to worry about it. In the words of the infamous Marion Barry (Washington DC mayor for life), "get over it".

Quick Reply: how a major car meet got ruined by greed