General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: Would you buy this car?
Yes
35.00%
No
65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Fully Restored - 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2019, 11:57 AM

Arrow Fully Restored - 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe

Restored 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe - I would like to get $23,900 obo. What do you think?

- Original matching numbers chassis and engine
- Recently rebuilt (50 miles) 330 cubic inch 4 barrel V8 with 320 horsepower
- Quadrajet carb
- Correct factory automatic jetaway330/ST300 2-speed switch pitch transmission.
- Power steering
- Upgraded Power front disc brakes
- Working factory a/c
- Metalic blue with new matching basketweave headliner, new cloth seats and new vinyl blue interior.
- New interior with bucket seats and center console floor shifter
- New dual exhaust with flow thru mufflers to give it a nice throaty sound
- New battery still under warranty
- New windshield
- New aluminium radiator
- Rust free over and under
- Body exceptionally straight
- Jack, spare included

Would trade plus cash for a project of a similar generation 60s early 70s coupe / muscle car - preferably chevy nova / chevelle / bel air

Last edited by Alex Cat; September 21st, 2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: correction
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Alex, definitely a sweet car! I don't know Cutlii very well so I can't comment on the price.
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Your 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Door Holiday Coupe Post description is wrong. Your car is a Cutlass Sports Coupe. Since you asked would you purchase this car, the net result answer will probably be no. While the car presents itself well for what it is or isn't, its an older resto that's showing its age. I won't nitpick it (as there were some liberties taken with the interior), nor will I place an unsolicited value opinion.
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Cat
Beautifully restored 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Door Holiday Coupe Post
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Door Holiday Coupe Post description is wrong. Your car is a Cutlass Sports Coupe
You're both half right.

The car IS a Cutlass Supreme, but it is not a Holiday coupe. It is a Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe. In Oldsmobile lingo, "holiday" means hardtop, two or four door. This car is not a hardtop. There was no Sports Coupe in the lower-end Cutlass line for 1967. There was an equivalent body style in the F-85 line, but it was called a Club Coupe.

This car is the fourth one down in the leftmost column. This is from the '67 Olds brochure.

Old September 20th, 2019, 04:19 AM

Since I like cars as original I would not buy this car. I am not fond of the wheel choice on 67's as well, the interior could have been done like factory for close to the same amount spent on what is there IMO. As for price to me it seems to be in 442 territory.... GLWS
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:48 PM

It's an older restoration that is not quite right, and it's a post car, and a Cutlass. I would buy a hardtop 442 for myself if I didn't already have it. I think you are 50% to 100% too high on price for it to be an attractive sale to most, if you want my opinion.

The paint is very good, I like the color, and the pictures show it well.
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments and clarification on the model. All is helpful even constructive criticism! Keep the comments comming!
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:14 PM

How can you make the difference between a Supreme and a Sports Coupe other than interior and badges?

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You're both half right.

The car IS a Cutlass Supreme, but it is not a Holiday coupe. It is a Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe. In Oldsmobile lingo, "holiday" means hardtop, two or four door. This car is not a hardtop. There was no Sports Coupe in the lower-end Cutlass line for 1967. There was an equivalent body style in the F-85 line, but it was called a Club Coupe.

This car is the fourth one down in the leftmost column. This is from the '67 Olds brochure.

Old September 21st, 2019, 10:54 PM

What value would you give the vehicle?

Your 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Door Holiday Coupe Post description is wrong. Your car is a Cutlass Sports Coupe. Since you asked would you purchase this car, the net result answer will probably be no. While the car presents itself well for what it is or isn't, its an older resto that's showing its age. I won't nitpick it (as there were some liberties taken with the interior), nor will I place an unsolicited value opinion.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:40 AM

How can you make the difference between a Supreme and a Sports Coupe other than interior and badges?
A Cutlass Supreme is a higher trim line with wider stainless steel moldings that run along the bottom of the fender in front of the front wheel and along the bottom of the quarter panel behind the rear wheel. Regular Cutlass trim ends before the front and rear wheel wells. A sports coupe is a specific body style that is a 2-door post coupe.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:05 AM
72 Olds CS

I like it the car looks good and clean. Things I don't care for are 2 speed trans, 14" wheels, and the steering wheel.

im not up on 67s so I can't speak to any deviations from original.

as noted price could be an issue, for that money I would prefer a 68-72 442.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:20 AM
Administrator

What value would you give the vehicle?
I think its worth $12-15k based on the work that's been done. However. what someone is willing to stroke a check for is its real worth.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:47 AM

I like the Old Car Price Guide. These numbers go from 6 to 1 in condition as in parts car, complete restoration, daily driver, saturday night car show car, serious car show car, museum piece.
I would call your car a strong condition 3 car that could possibly make into lower 2 with enough detailing. This guide does have its inaccuracies, and, by this data, it doesn't look like it
likes post car Cutlass Supremes, as it puts you at @7k.

Were I to want the car, _I_ think its value is 10k, but, like said above, it's what you can get for it. The problem with a HIGH price (and I'm speaking in general here, not at your case) with a willing to negotiate,
is that people, coming at you with 50% of what you are asking, will feel like they are insulting you. I'd definitely get under 20 on your asking price, since that 2 scares people away. Take it to some shows,
hang a for sale with phone number and like $18.5k on it, see who calls, and negotiate from there.

Be advised, 80% of classic car buyers have no money and are either completely full of it, or want you to hold paper. Cash for title is the way.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Old Car Price guide is based on big name auctions only. That's not the real world, and more importantly, other than Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, and the ilk, there isn't a large enough sample size to populate that matrix with reliable data - especially data provided to four or five significant digits. Completed Auctions on ebay are a better representation.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Doubt you'll find many sport coupes in completed listings. I would think the rarity of the sport coupe would bring a bit higher.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Doubt you'll find many sport coupes in completed listings. I would think the rarity of the sport coupe would bring a bit higher.
The rarity of Pontiac Azteks doesn't make them more valuable.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Bad comparison Joe... I think I threw up in my mouth a little.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 01:57 PM

I don't understand the question. The Sports Coupe IS a Supreme. It's just one of the five body styles the Supreme was offered in. The 442 was also offered as a Sports Coupe. The same exact body style was offered in the F-85 line, but it was called a Club Coupe.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:44 PM
golden rocket

having been involved with cars for the past 48+ years, I would put an asking price between $12-15K, and accept a offer close to the 12-13 range, unless a desirable (to me) trade is involved. in my opinion a dealer would come in around $6-7 max on an offer and price in the 14-18K range on the floor.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 04:38 AM

I liked the 2001 Aztek when it came out and I was thinking of getting one in yellow as a daily driver when I needed a new one. Didn't for two reasons: 1. They're hard to find. 2. Any one I could find now would be worn out and I'd have to work on in constantly, and I definitely don't want to have to work on a transversely-mounted engine.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by golden rocket
having been involved with cars for the past 48+ years, I would put an asking price between $12-15K, and accept a offer close to the 12-13 range, unless a desirable (to me) trade is involved. in my opinion a dealer would come in around $6-7 max on an offer and price in the 14-18K range on the floor.

I just sold one , as nice , and got 12,500 and had to work hard for it.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:34 AM

The Old Car Price guide is based on big name auctions only. That's not the real world, and more importantly, other than Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, and the ilk, there isn't a large enough sample size to populate that matrix with reliable data - especially data provided to four or five significant digits. Completed Auctions on ebay are a better representation.
I wonder if it says where they get their data somewhere.

A pox for mentioning the *** Tek.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I wonder if it says where they get their data somewhere.
Turns out that it does.

These data include prices from collector-car auctions, verified reports of private sales and input from experts
https://s22734.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...HowtousePG.pdf

I'd like to know what "verified reports of private sales" are, and who the "experts" are.

There were about 25 ebay auctions for 1967 Cutlii or 442s completed since June. About half were convertibles. I didn't see any Sport Coupes. In many cases, the same car that "sold" was listed again (the 25 auctions only represent about 20 different cars). There were eight actual "sold" auctions that seem to run from about $4K to $29K, but the higher numbers were convertibles, and again, not clear that any of these sales actually closed and cash changed hands. The vast majority of high-dollar cars on ebay do not sell, at least not through ebay.
Old September 25th, 2019, 07:02 AM

EBAY??? I have to admit I am a bit surprised. Do "smart car guys" still buy cars from there? I thought that was where all the evil sellers lurked? The ones who paint over rust and undercoat over holes and old metal signs? I'm being honest here......do we really trust eBay? Every time I get on there I laugh at the people thinking they have something or people who have watched too many TV auctions. And who is this Gateway? My Lord are they ABSURD!!!

Last edited by StarRacer; September 25th, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old September 25th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Ebay is just another place to look for cars, just like craigslist, the local newspaper, the local penny-paper at the grocery store, an ad in JWO, or the nearest used car lot. I would exercise the same due diligence with a car being sold on ebay as I would with a car being through any other means. You can't hold where a car is being sold against it. We're not so overloaded with old cars to choose from that we can afford to be picky about where we buy them, and if a car came up for sale on ebay that was otherwise everything I was looking for, I would not refuse to consider it just because it was being sold on ebay. If I'm willing to travel half-way across the country to look at a car being sold on craigslist or through a JWO ad, I'm willing to travel half-way across the country to inspect an ebay car I'm interested in.
Old October 12th, 2019, 04:24 AM

Is that color Tahoe Turquoise or some off-the-shelf color?
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM

No
Old October 16th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Banned

Question

I see you have dropped the price to $17k. Would you take $16k?

Also has anyone out there come across a similar car for a better price? Looking for a 67 Cutlass in mint condition like this one.
Old October 17th, 2019, 08:10 AM

I merged the threads Alex.

Originally Posted by Jack_Oval
I see you have dropped the price to $17k. Would you take $16k?
Jack, if you're interested in the car I suggest you give Alex a call. If I really wanted the car I would meet Alex, test drive the car, and offer $16k cash. It's too easy for an owner to say no to "looky-lous." Cash talks in the used car game.
Old October 17th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Olds64
I merged the threads Alex.

Jack, if you're interested in the car I suggest you give Alex a call. If I really wanted the car I would meet Alex, test drive the car, and offer $16k cash. It's too easy for an owner to say no to "looky-lous." Cash talks in the used car game.

Thank you Olds64. My question was more rhetorical in nature and I'm really interested in knowing if anyone on the forum has a similar car in a similar price range or cheaper?
Old October 17th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack_Oval
Thank you Olds64. My question was more rhetorical in nature and I'm really interested in knowing if anyone on the forum has a similar car in a similar price range or cheaper?
Jack, I don't have a similar car for sale but a quick search on eBay will give you a better idea of price. There are two similar vehicles which have gone up for sale on ebay I have found.

The first sold on ebay for $17,300 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Hurst Olds Gold Edition
In many ways it is very similar to the blue 67 for sale here although it does not have a/c and the engine is not newly rebuilt.

The second one is still for sale for $17,000 1967 Oldsmobile cutlass time capsule 58,000 original miles no rust ever
Similar as well although it does not have the bucket seats nor center console and it doesn't have a rebuilt engine and no a/c.

In my opinion the blue car listed for sale here is superior to the two I have mentioned above in terms of reliability and style due to the rebuilt engine and bucket seats, center console and not to add the a/c so I would say the asking price of $17k is a fair price and I would go so far as to say it's maybe even a deal.

Good luck with your search!

Maybe some other forum members can give their assessment too?