General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dynamat vs Second Skin Damplifier Pro

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Dynamat vs Second Skin Damplifier Pro

I ripping out the old wiring and thought it would be a good idea to put in some sound deadening in my 71 cutty s. model. Any suggestions on which is better Dynamat vs Second Skin Damplifier Pro
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:28 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

I am in the middle of laying down Fatmat. I got the bulk pack. It is less expensive than Dynomat and is supposed to be as good or better.
I have a friend who is a VW guy, and his tuner/audiophile circle swears by the stuff.
I can tell you that there is a huge difference in sound if you drop the little green measuring tape on the Fatmat compared to the bare floor.
It is a lot of work. I got about 1/2 the floor pan done in about 3 hours. Measure small pieces and roll them out. It is okay to overalp some. DO NOT pull all the backing off at once, go in steps. once this stuff is down and set it will not come up. It will pull paint of the metal. If you use a hair dryer to heat it up it might come off. Every curve and bend in the floor will need a cut in the mat so you can roll it flat. Then just place a small patch down. I was doing mine by doing larger ares first and then filling the voids later.
The kit for $130 has 100 sq feet, wooden roller and knife i8n the box. Shipping on their web site is free. They may offer a discount if you order more. I think I have enough to do floor, doors, roof, rear shelf, trunk, and quarters for under $200 shipped.

http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/fatmat/100.html

Have fun. I think all this work will be worth it.

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP9226co.jpg (453.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP9227co.jpg (177.6 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by arodenhiser; September 28th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM

As long as you stay away from the asphalt-based self-adhesive stuff, you should be fine.
I used dynamat (650 to do most of the car), but I think the other rubber based stuff will work fine. It is a lot of work and will challenge your patience limit...
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
As long as you stay away from the asphalt-based self-adhesive stuff, you should be fine.
I remeber all of the pop riveted, sheet metal and roof patch sealed floors my brothers and I did in our Nova's, Skylark,s and the Omega. It would seal but it take would a month or so for the smell to leave the interior. I am glad we never had a fire becuase I am sure it would go up in a flash.

Adam
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
It would seal but it take would a month or so for the smell to leave the interior. I am glad we never had a fire becuase I am sure it would go up in a flash.
In hot TX, I would bet the smell would never leave...
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nothing beats the time I applied roofing tar to the entire floor of a Skylark convertible, expecting it to dry in a week or so, only to discover that IT NEVER DRIES.

I coated the entire floor. VERY thoroughly.

It did quiet the car down a whole lot, but it made the cross-country drive a month later FAR more interesting than it needed to be. Everything that I ever placed in that car had a spot of black on it somewhere, and it wasn't dry even a year later.

I still think of that car every time I smell roofing tar.

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Heat/Sound Deadener

I just ordered some of this it claims it will keep the heat out and also it is a good sound deadener.

http://www.lobucrod.com/

Anyone try it?
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I used FatMat as well.
If cost isn't a major issue, I'd take it and have line-x sprayed in.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
car guy

I used Dynomat and was very happy with the results. I have not used others so I can't compare.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM

BROWNBREAD this stuff is awesome. It's now called B-Quiet Ultimate. Look at the specs on it. Its almost the same as dynamat at the fraction of the cost just go to google and type in b-quiet itll take you right to the sound deadner. I've used dynamat and b-quiet ultimate in my car.. there's really no difference in my opinion. B-quiet is way cheaper though, thats what ill buy from now on. 50 sq ft $130
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Hey thanks for the responses. So what ya'll saying is pretty much dynamat or FatMat. I like the price of fatmat butI've heard some bad reviews on the smell. So I think I'll just get the dynamat and just do the floors and the trunk so I can run the wires. ah yeah does anyone know how to use flickr i made an account and put some pics on now what?
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Getting Started

Ok I hope this work but here are a few pics. There not that great and I will take more pics when i pull it out the garage
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54362552@N07/sets/
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by jay770
Hey thanks for the responses. So what ya'll saying is pretty much dynamat or FatMat. I like the price of fatmat butI've heard some bad reviews on the smell. So I think I'll just get the dynamat and just do the floors and the trunk so I can run the wires. ah yeah does anyone know how to use flickr i made an account and put some pics on now what?
I have read on several sites that Fatmat is just a relabled construction product and has the oder to go with it.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I have read on several sites that Fatmat is just a relabled construction product and has the oder to go with it.
I just finished the main floor area with Fatmat. I used and estimate 46 sq feet to cover firewall to rear seat/trunk divider and rocker to rocker. It took about 8 hours to complete this section. The working temp was 75F at the lowest and 90F at the highest. I had no noticable odor. The prodcut I bought is aluminium backed with rubber. They have several products. I don't know if they are all rubber based or not. So far I am happy with the stuff. I am only about a third through it all, But the hardest/curvyist part.

Adam
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I've got it in my 66 Delta and in a Galaxie that I'm building for a buddy. There's no odor that I've noticed. I've compared it side by side to dynamat and I really can't see any difference whatsoever. I did, however, notice a difference when I paid for it. A big difference.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM

I forget what it's called right now but I used the rubber based roofing seal on my '70 about a year ago. It's done a good job of quieting the card down and has stuck pretty good through the winter and summer. It needs to be replaced now, but that's due tot he fact that I drove it this whole year with no carpet so it's gotten worn around the edges. But that's about 10,000 miles of city driving with no carpet for protection. And I'm only out about $40 for the whole floor.