General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dxf files for patches, boxing plates, etc.

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2020, 06:20 PM

Dxf files for patches, boxing plates, etc.

Does anyone know of a site that has a library of dxf files for cutting replacement parts? For those who don't know, a dxf file is a very generic file format that can be opened by many different programs and is essentially a 2D drawing. There are free programs that can open and create them. The availability of CNC equipment that can cut parts for the average joe is getting larger at a fast pace; job shops, plasma cutters, routers, milling machines, lasers, etc. I'm working on a few pieces now that I'm going to have cut on the laser at my work, like package tray support and tulip panel patches for my 71 cutlass that I would be happy to share. There is no aftermarket for these pieces. I'd love to find dxf files for A body frame boxing plates also if anyone knows of a download. Otherwise, I will make them myself and share those too although I'm sure they exist somewhere.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 05:44 AM

I'm not sure, even if the files were available, that it would be cost effective. At least for short runs. Now, I'm real old school, recently, I had the need for a bunch of exhaust flanges fro a crazy system I was building (No, nothing even close was available!). I did a drawing of what I wanted, on the computer, and sent it to a local guy to have it water jetted or laser cut. 1/4" and 1/8" stainless pieces. The price came back at over $40 per flange. Since I needed 8 per side, 16 all together, the cost was WAY too high! Tried another local, and an online shop, same problem. I finally got a guy into old cars, and he gave me a "break" at $30 per flange. After cutting out, grinding and sanding 4 of these on my own, I relented and let him do the rest. The technology is there, but I'm not so sure it's within reach of a hobbyist builder!
Old December 2nd, 2020, 10:04 AM

All fair points. Having/creating a dxf is one thing, fabricating a metal part from it is still where the cost would come into play. Now, if you have access to a water jet machine or something else to cut a flat panel, that would help!
An option to consider for creating a dxf:
Look up XBOX Kinect 3D scanner on the internet. Yes, that XBOX. The Kinect sensor they offered a few years ago has a very sophisticated optical sensor that can be converted ridiculously easy to make a home 3D scanner. I personally know several guys who've done this. If you have an original part, you can move the 'scanner' around it and it will generate a 3D model which can then be translated to multiple formats for things like 3D printing, cutting, etc. One of the guys I know races his Mazda RX-8 and built one of these scan tools. He scanned the entire front end, including engine bay of the RX-8 and created an accurate 3D CAD model. He imported that model into another CAD package and started designing his own front end parts which fit like a glove because everything was based off the accurate model he created from the scan. The whole rig consists of the Kinect sensor with a cable plugged into a laptop. You need a long enough cable so you can move the sensor around the object without having to drag the laptop with it (unless you have a helper).
You can pick up the Kinect sensors on Craigslist or eBay for peanuts (<$20). It's phenomenal what you can do with this. Using it to fabricate a simple weldment or something from sheet steel would be easy and cheap (very home-garage friendly). You could easily scan a new fender patch or quarter panel repair patch (or whole panel!). The difficulty ($$$) would then be in turning that 3D model into an actual panel with all the necessary curves and bends. At least for the average guy. Professional stampers use similar techniques to create car parts every day but their access to the right fabrication tools go way beyond most of ours.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 05:51 PM

Would love to know more about this home made scanner. I live on cad software for a living. Have always wanted to have a few parts scanned. Let the web search begin.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:02 PM

This is some really cool stuff. Acavagnaro mentioned a water-jet cutter. I’ve seen some really cool YT vids where folks made working units from el-cheapo pressure washers. Cool as s**t!
Old December 2nd, 2020, 08:19 PM

Regarding dxf files for 2D parts, any links or posts to a repository of files would be awesome. Chopolds, I hear you on the cost. I guess my point is that it is getting more commonplace to have access to a CNC machine that can cut parts, even if through a job shop. It seems that a practical use for this would be for parts that have no aftermarket where the cost is more justified, particularly for difficult-shaped parts. If you have access to this ability then all the better. Practically, 3D scanning to get to a 2D part, like a patch panel, is not worth the effort for most people. I have been through this at my company thoroughly. For the average person its much faster to make a pattern with cardstock sheets. Either transfer that to metal and hand cut it out or measure it and make a dxf or similar cutting file for a machine. That being said, I do model a lot of my personal projects in SolidWorks before cutting anything.