General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

classic car insurance

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 02:57 AM

classic car insurance

can anyone recommend a classic car insurance company?
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Grundy and Haggerty seem to be the ones most use. I've been using Grundy for years, and $150 bucks a year for $20K agreed value coverage. Never made any claims, and hear they're a bit lacking on customer service, presently going through some underwriter changes. Not exactly like I'm driving my car in snow right now though. They'll be wanting some pictures, and proof you own a daily car insured through a major carrier.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Have used Haggerty for many years now. Great rates and few restrictions. Never made a claim but I know people who have and they were very satisfied.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM

I've used J.C. Taylor for many years. Never had to make a claim, but whenever I've dealt with them, it's fast, friendly, and efficient. Cheap rates, too.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM

I have Grundy for years, though never had to file a claim. Two complaints though - one they have an inflationguard that automatically ups the agreed value (and thus your rate), but you can remove that, and once they did not post my payment, though received, and "dropped" my coverage.
Have heard good things about Hagerty, including claims.

Anybody use Heacock? The Olds Club of America know has discounted rates through them if you are an OCA member. But have not heard much about them.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM
pimp ghetto sled lover

i also use j.c. taylor and the rates vary depending on the value you place on it. i pay $127 a year for one with a 13.5k agreed value and i think $75 a year for another i value at 5k. like the others, i have not had a claim experience but wonder how it goes in comparison to my regular carrier which sucked when i had to make a claim.( my ex took a hammer and tire iron to my xjr on my birthday six years ago and totalled it)she actually ripped the cat off the hood and stuck it right through the windshield! way more to that story, was the stuff of legend how that night ramped up to that conclusion.oops got a little off topic there but it all ties in to the train of thought i guess!
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:53 AM

I switched to Chrome last year not a bunch of restrictions and you can drive up to 10,000 miles a year. Any licensed driver can drive the car no restrictions on age.
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I switched to Chrome last year not a bunch of restrictions and you can drive up to 10,000 miles a year. Any licensed driver can drive the car no restrictions on age.
Except for the 10,000 miles limit, which isn't that much of a limit for a collector car, this sounds more or less like regular car insurance. What do you pay for this, and on what car? Do you have to store it in a locked garage, or can you park it on the street?
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Hagerty was my choice, due to lack of super tight restrictions. both my Olds with full coverage, low deductables is about 200 a year.
Just have to prove you have a daily driver car with daily driver insurance.
Needs to be stored inside and cannot be used to go to work or school or be used when a daily driver would be more fitting (like going to the mall or grocery store).
In other words if you are driving for fun, then you are good!
Never had a clalm (hope to never) and the people are quite nice.
They have a generous roadside assistance program, too, if you want it (extra cost).
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
CQR

Just printed my Hagerty policy for the Olds and the AA. lots cheaper than State Farm, and agreed value is better than State farms actual value. We know that state farm doesn't value my cars as much as I do.
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I use American Modern Insurance group, Collector Car Division. They are affiliated and recommended through USAA, the military insurance company. For $175 annually, I have a $25K agreed value on my 72 442 convertable with 455. Easy to work with over the phone and email, etc. Never filed a claim knock on wood.

Scotty
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CQR
lots cheaper than State Farm, and agreed value is better than State farms actual value. We know that state farm doesn't value my cars as much as I do.
Unless they changed in the past couple years, State farm is the worst (as in most expensive and low value) to insure a specialty vehicle with.

In many cases, they require a separate policy, eliminating any muliple car / line discounts.
I remembr they quoted me 400 a year for my bike, but Progressive is under 100 with better coverage.

Specialty vehicles require specialty insurance!
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Hagerty, very few restrictions. And you get a great discount on a 2nd collector car.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Unless they changed in the past couple years, State farm is the worst (as in most expensive and low value) to insure a specialty vehicle with.

In many cases, they require a separate policy, eliminating any muliple car / line discounts.
I remembr they quoted me 400 a year for my bike, but Progressive is under 100 with better coverage.

Specialty vehicles require specialty insurance!
The insurance on the AA was cheap, but the mileage restriction wouldn't allow me to insure the Olds as a classic/antique. So come to find out they had the Olds insured at a $2500.00 value
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Think a most important feature on a collector car, is agreed value coverage, as could really be left out in the cold. Grundy allows coverage on all your cars now, but not sure about doing that. My other late model cars and home are insured with Allstate, and with multi discount bundling, not to bad. Was in a wreck a few years back, and gotta say, they really came through. Like the big guy says in the commercials, no rate increase, and even gave me $100 safe driver detuctible cut that year. Problem is the state surcharges, as with 4 vehicles here in MI, that's $600 bucks a year.
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Except for the 10,000 miles limit, which isn't that much of a limit for a collector car, this sounds more or less like regular car insurance. What do you pay for this, and on what car? Do you have to store it in a locked garage, or can you park it on the street?
It is classic car insurance.Yes, car must be parked in locked garage and not be you primary source of transportation. I have an agreed value of $23,500.00 on the 442 and 12,500.00 on the 69 Cougar.
Cost is $321.00 per year.

I wouldn't put to much value on the 10,000 mile aspect I doubt many classic car owners drive anywhere near that. That is their thought as well I would assume. Another thing I like about it if I want to stop at the grocery store and my car get's jacked it is covered.

Last edited by Nilsson; February 24th, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Cost is $321.00 per year.
Pretty good!
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Registered Luser

I have used Haggerty for years. Tried Grundy first, but they wouldn't have me due to past speeding tickets! I pay $350.00 a year for '72 Cutlass agreed at 18K and '65 Vista at 8K. I did have a claim 2 yrs ago on the Cutlass when the hood flew off....they were down to look at the car within a week, and I had a check for $3900 a week after that! No, they did not raise my rates...
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM

I want to stop at the grogery store and my car get's jacked it is covered.
MMMMmmmmmmm...... GROG...........................

The stuff real pirates are made of...
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Hard to say on the errand thing, as Grundy advertises on the weekend car programs, and specifically mentions for pleasure driving, such as stopping at the local ice cream shop. If your car gets ripped in a supermarket parking lot, just stand there holding a box of ice cream bars.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:57 AM

I recommend finding an AARP classic car insurance quote. AARP uses The Hartford Insurance Company and I haven’t had any problems with either of them. The discount is a real plus point too.
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by athena_emerson
I recommend finding an AARP classic car insurance quote. AARP uses The Hartford Insurance Company and I haven’t had any problems with either of them. The discount is a real plus point too.
This is spam along with the other first poster, which is probably the same person under a different name, in the other insurance thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...insurance.html