General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Boxes of 72 Cutlass parts

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Steve

Boxes of 72 Cutlass parts

Next week I'm going to see a guy who's in-laws have, so he tells me, all the parts stripped from a 1972 2 dr. Cutlass (a hardtop coupe he thinks and a 350 c.i., he also thinks). The car was stripped for a frame off restoration about 4 years ago and the frame and body was sent to a body shop.

Then their son died suddenly, they never recovered the frame and body, and the rest of the car, including engine and trans, has sat in boxes in a building, a barn I got the impression, ever since. Now they are planning on a move sometime in the future and would like to sell these parts.

Ok, so far so good...here's where it gets kinky....they want to sell everything as a lot and won't take less than $1000., according to the son-in-law. They have no interest, and he doesn't have the time, he says, to do an inventory of all the parts.

As I said, I'm going to go take a peek at the stuff and can report back later as to condition, amount, and a better idea of what's all there. I'm mentioning it in case there are some upstate NY'ers on here that might be interested. If so, let me know and I'll give you an update after I look at them along with a contact number.

I'm restoring my 72 and maybe could use a piece here and there but I certainly don't need, nor have the time to fiddle with, another entire car in boxes to sort through and try and sell. Not my thing. Could be a gold mine or could be all junk, stay tuned if interested.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What town are they in? Elmira vs Schenectady will make a difference to many.

- Eric
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Steve

Originally Posted by MDchanic
What town are they in? Elmira vs Schenectady will make a difference to many.

- Eric
oops...forgot to say...out in the sticks maybe 15-20 minutes bit north of Binghamton, not sure of the exact town but I will next week.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll tune it for more info. Maybe you can take some pics when you go look? Hopefully they will know that will increase their marketability, especially if they are unwilling to take inventory.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Steve

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'll tune it for more info. Maybe you can take some pics when you go look? Hopefully they will know that will increase their marketability, especially if they are unwilling to take inventory.
Good idea, I'll try and remember my camera. From the conversation, these folks are up in years, and just want to get rid of the stuff but make a few bucks and the son-in-law (didn't sound like a 'car-guy' to me) is just trying to help them out to move them but doesn't have a lot time or inclination to do more than minimal.

We'll see.