General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

numbers matching car changing paint color and value

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM

numbers matching car changing paint color and value

I am wondering what changing the color on a 69 cutlass does to its value.

I may have the opportunity to buy a project that is near completion and is just primed at the moment..

car is numbers matching (engine, transmission, frame)

what is not original. is car was converted to console shift and buckets from column bench set up.

car left the factory in Aztec Gold.. while I am usually one for repainting in the original color, I just don't like gold...

I was thinking Saffron or Nassau blue or Trophy blue.
interior is black.

what does everyone think of changing color, but keeping it year and Oldsmobile correct color would do to the value of a frame off resto?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Make it what you want, it may actually increase the value! Most people are like yourself, gold is not their favorite color! Besides the interior has already been changed.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My car was originally code 14 silver pewter. It's ok I guess but I always thought it looked kind of 'dirty or greenish'. When I repainted I went with a 78 Corvette silver that really pops in the sun. All the contour lines look incredible and I've received a lot of favorable comments on the color change. And it's never been an issue for any appraiser who's valued the car.

Paint is something that can be changed - much like the console/buckets in your 69. I would hardly be concerned about changing the paint if you're not concerned about the change to the console/buckets.

Nassau or Trophy blue are ok and would match the black interior. Saffron would be too close to gold for you wouldn't it? Personally, I'd go with ebony black or tahitian turquoise - I think they will show the car more boldly if you're looking to keep stock colors.

IMO The only place you'll lose is at a show where the judges are critical of matching the cowl tag to the car.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM

I agree with both above. If the original paint is gone already-it is a spray away to becoming original should someone want that in the future. Make it just how you are dreaming of seeing the car. I would not even worry about using a color from only that year-why limit yourself.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM

It's not a 442 so the value is not near as high. It's your car so do what you want with it. If you are worried about it being worth more when you sell it you could go back original.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM

Saffron or Nassau Blue!!!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM

I agree with the above. If you're going to the money and effort of painting the car, it should be a color you personally love. I've only painted one car, I went with my favorite color. The only time I think about it is when I see another color that's a close second or third. I have also concerned myself WAY too much with "if I ever want to return it to original" with every car I've ever owned, going so far as to save old parts as I do repairs. So far, I've never felt the desire to return a car to original, and I'm guessing I never will. I could save myself a lot of space by throwing away a lot of junk.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
L69

Do to it as you please. If your restoring a W30 or high value 442 and are restoring with the intent to bring it to auction and get every nickel out of the car then originality and rarity is where the high dollars are at. But a cutlass and for personal gratification make it what you want and enjoy it. As was said already it was already converted from column cranker to floor shift, like I did to my 66 f85, I made it what I wanted and enjoy it. Good luck with your choices. I love saffron.