General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

From barn finds to finished project

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM

From barn finds to finished project

How many of you have pictures of your barn find that became your finished car?I've been sitting around all day looking at pictures that span the build of my car and the ones that are the most memorable are when it first came out of the barn and the last when I've said thats enough it's finished and I'm done! Lets see some of those the barn to riches cars out there. I'll start with mine ....Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
out of the barn.jpg (29.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg
resized finished olds.jpg (148.6 KB, 85 views)
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

That is quite the transformation. I bought my car from a local olds racer who had no room in his barn. I bought the car that spent 6 years outside and it needed a resto before when he originally bought it. It was driven winter summer rain or shine in our midwest winters. I have tons of pictures on my profile. Looking back on those pictures makes you appreciate it even more and reallly enjoy your work being able to see how it came together it kind of tells a story.
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM

bad pictures but they are there! started working on it july 10 2011
Not quite from a barn, more so backyard. and not quite to riches, but driver
Attached Images
File Type: png
1.png (55.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: png
untitled2.png (57.9 KB, 42 views)
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM

The trip home. Found this buried in a 2 car garage. It had been there since 1990.

I have since had the body off, painted the undercarriage, and restored the frame and suspension. Hopefully I'll have a finished picture this year! Current condition:
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
How many of you have pictures of your barn find that became your finished car?I've been sitting around all day looking at pictures that span the build of my car and the ones that are the most memorable are when it first came out of the barn and the last when I've said thats enough it's finished and I'm done! Lets see some of those the barn to riches cars out there. I'll start with mine ....Tedd
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I love your car Tedd - I'd have driven it the way you found it! Looks like that was pretty solid car to start with from the photos. I finally 'upgraded' to hauling a 2 door home (when compared to my 'taxi cab' collection) - someday I'll happen on one whose top goes down. I've got the '55 "Holiday" for my oldest daughter...now if I can only find my little Starfire a car...
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks Gorden,
Pictures are deceiving, the car was a very solid almost no rust car but every thing was wore out. It had a 11 inch crack in the block because it was left outside some time with just water in the block,rear end needed rebuilt ,you could put your finger through the top anywhere, top motor and cylinders were shot, upholstery was dissolving, pits on all the bumper chrome and trim parts, trany needed rebuilt. The list goes on and on. All that being said my dad and I drove it 80 miles home that day after putting a couple cans of BarsLeak in it then stopping every 10 miles to top it off with a jerry can of water we had with us. Some time I'll post the story of this car it has had an interesting history.... Tedd
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Found this with about 50 other cars in a so-cal guy's back yard next to a Rally 350. This one ran and drove and the Rally wouldn't start so I took the 442. My only 2 regrets are not painting it the original Saffron and selling it when done.

Old January 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM

B964, thats one slick looking ride,how long did it take before you fell out of love and sold it?.....Tedd
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
B964, thats one slick looking ride,how long did it take before you fell out of love and sold it?.....Tedd
Never did fall out of love.
I owned that car for about 12 years and 10 of those was slowly fixing it up and gathering parts. Hauled it back and forth CA to NY three times. Twice mid resto in pieces and once done. Was buying a house.... should have sold something else.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:22 AM

It wasn't in a barn but here is the before and after. The last inspection sticker on the car was from 1994. The kid I bought it from had taken it all apart in his parents one car detached garage. There was barely enough room to walk around it in there. His parents finally told him to get it out of there so he move it to a repair shop where one of his buddies worked. The owner of the shop put up with it for about a month before he told the kid to get it out. He pretty much had no choice but to sell it. It had the fenders and core support but no motor, tranny or trim. He had a rebuilt 455 and an M22 that he wanted $3500 for. I passed on those.