General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

AuxTrans Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 08:17 AM
Mak

Question AuxTrans Cooler Install

Since my trans fluid overflow issue has only occurred on 90+ degree days, I've decided to bypass the radiator cooler and install a large aux cooler. I recently removed the a/c condenser, so there's plenty of room. I don't like the idea of attaching the cooler to the radiator, so will most likely attempt to make some mounts. Since I've never done this, any advice (or pics!) on mounting the cooler and/or cutting and routing the new lines would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Just the facts...

you're going to want to attach the lowest line on your auxiliary cooler to the lower tranny cooler line. then you're going to want the auxiliary cooler outlet line to connect back to the radiator cooler lower inlet. there is such a thing as having tranny fluid that is too cool.

bill
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:49 AM
Mak

I was thinking if I go with a huge aux cooler, it might be better to cut both lines, bypassing the radiator, and run the hoses straight into the new cooler... Rather than having a 180 degree bend in the hose to get back into the radiator cooler. No?
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Seems like a whole lot of trouble to band-aid a problem that has a different cause. These cars did not puke trans fluid on hot days when new, even without an aux cooler.
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM

I have an aux trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator. I had to make mounts for it so I can send you some pics if you want.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Seems like a whole lot of trouble to band-aid a problem that has a different cause. These cars did not puke trans fluid on hot days when new, even without an aux cooler.
I do agree... But $100.00 vs $1580.00 might be a worthwhile temporary measure... and after I can swing having the tranny gone through, I'll still have the cooler. Also, since it's never happened on a day under 90*, I figure a cooler is gonna help to some extent.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by Napoleon1991
I have an aux trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator. I had to make mounts for it so I can send you some pics if you want.
Yes, I'd really like to see pics of the mount & how you connected the hoses. Thanks!

rtmac1(at)comcast(dot)net
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Agreed with Bill. You want your fluid to stay in the 160-180 degree range and with an aux cooler alone, you'll have no real temperature control. Route it as Bill D suggests and keep the plate cooler in the trans active. That way the coolant temperature (thermostatically controlled) will act as a temperature controller.

Re mounting it: you should be able to get metal strapping at any hardware store, then break it to whatever mounting angle it requires. A little drill work and some nice inconspicuous sheetmetal screws and walla!

Mak, have you checked the radiator to make sure it's in good condition? No plugging or other restrictions? The radiator trans cooler itself could have some issues after all these years especially if the fluid has ever overheated and deposited varnish on the cooler passages.

Re the cars not puking fluid when they were new (50 years ago!) trans fluid formulations have changed since then, as have coolant and gasoline formulations. In CA, I can about promise Mak is dealing with some highly oxygenated gasoline which causes lean fuel mixture, which in turn causes engines to run hotter and put greater load on their cooling systems.

*rant* It's like some of these knucklehead powerplant operators I deal with on a daily basis. Every year, first hot spell we have, a lot of equipment temperatures go up and the knuckleheads start screeching. After a few days of consistent high ambient temp, everything levels off to where it should be. I explain this phenomenon to them year after year but it doesn't sink in- the exact same people tune up every year about temperatures, and they unfortunately drill it into new operators' heads to start screaming. Doesn't help that some of the operations group management are some of the same ones who could never get the temperature phenomenon thru their own heads. I think they just like to create crises where there are none. Makes people think they're doing something and paying close attention.

I even offered a human example- took one of them who had been sitting in airconditioned control room outside on a 90 degree day and sure enough, in a couple minutes he'd broken a sweat. Kept him out there a couple hours and he got acclimated to it. I said, it's the exact same thing with all this machinery. Watch your trends and you'll see that the temps will track ambient temperature until everything acclimates.

And three days later he was squalling about high equipment temps again. I gave up. *end rant*
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
you're going to want to attach the lowest line on your auxiliary cooler to the lower tranny cooler line. then you're going to want the auxiliary cooler outlet line to connect back to the radiator cooler lower inlet. there is such a thing as having tranny fluid that is too cool.

bill
Is there a reason that I can't put the aux cooler ahead of the radiator cooler? (ie: tap into the upper cooler line instead of the lower line.) This would be easier for routing the cooler lines since the upper line turns straight down... and their is a section of my upper line that is questionable, so I would be able to remove that entire section.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mak

Red face

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Mak, have you checked the radiator to make sure it's in good condition? No plugging or other restrictions? The radiator trans cooler itself could have some issues after all these years especially if the fluid has ever overheated and deposited varnish on the cooler passages.
I replaced the radiator last week... didn't solve the problem. I installed a deeper trans pan a while back, which didn't help either. Like Joe said, there's probably an underlying transmission problem that will need to addressed eventually, but a cooler may help short-term. This puke/smoke problem has occurred 8-10 times in the past 2 years... every time has been on a hot (90*+) day when I was driving somewhat aggressively.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by Mak
Is there a reason that I can't put the aux cooler ahead of the radiator cooler? (ie: tap into the upper cooler line instead of the lower line.) This would be easier for routing the cooler lines since the upper line turns straight down... and their is a section of my upper line that is questionable, so I would be able to remove that entire section.
if you connect it like i described, you will be putting your auxiliary cooler ahead of the radiator cooler. the lower line in to the radiator is the output of the trans(supply, if you will), the upper line on the radiator cooler is the return line to the trans.

question of the day: why did gm do it that way? (there is a very logical reason)

bill
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:13 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
question of the day: why did gm do it that way? (there is a very logical reason)

bill
I don't know the answer... but I did go ahead and route my cooler lines as you suggested (using the lower line.)

I bought the largest cooler my local auto parts store had. I didn't like the idea of attaching it directly to the radiator, so made some brackets (it must be more efficient in open air.) It turned out very nice.
It's supposed to be hot here tomorrow. Now I guess I have to go out and drive "somewhat aggressively" tomorrow... to see if it works okay!

Old June 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by Napoleon1991
No need for pics now... it's a done deal!
But thanks much for the offer.
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mak

After driving my car a couple hundred miles on almost exclusively hot days, it appears the trans cooler is doing the job. I also found although the fluid looked good on the stick, it looked like crap in the drain pan... so I flushed the fluid completely. Lastly, it seems I was filling it a little higher than I thought... just above add line in my driveway, is actually just above the full line at the gas station. (my driveway's not as level as I thought... Duh!)
Anyway, so far it shifts great & no signs of any leaks at all!

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:26 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Sounds like you did a lot of useful stuff, flushed the transmission, added an oil cooler (the same way I would have done it), and correctly filled the transmission.

And you let us know you fixed your problem, if that helps someone else with a similar issue that's surely what this forum is all about, thank you.

Roger.