General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 Heater Hose clamps -Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:20 AM

70 Heater Hose clamps -Install Tips

- Any tips on how to get those single style ring clamps seal the hose. will be using ribbed sytep hoses from npd..

Is there a tool to compress the ring - do you compress the ring or just spread it just enough for install and let the spring tension do its thing..I am all for factory clamps, , but if these blow off, it is not worth it. thanks
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM

There is a special tool that makes it much easier to install them than regular pliers. However, you could probably make a tool by grinding a V notch in the ends of a pair of pliers as that's pretty much what the tool looks like.
I had one that wouldn't seal well. It was the 3/4" or so pipe that sticks up out of the rear of the block. The spring tension just wasn't enough to seal it well. So I left the spring clamp on there but put a worm type(modern) clamp below it on the end of the hose. Being on the rear of the engine and under the other clamp, it's pretty well hidden.

If you got the spring type clamps from a reproduction supplier, I'd suspect that it may not be the correct size or may just not be a good quality(strong enough) clamp. If you can't get away with what I did, you might try your best local auto parts store and see if they have some.
They would obviously be used but you may find some original ones in a box of hardware etc at a swap meet.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM

thanks, I go the clamp kit from supercar a year ago. I plan on getting the heater hoses from npd, they are local. It is a standard hose on all GM made by details . I think I may have the old pliers used back then, for spreading the clamp…but not tighten, which I fear I will have to do to get them to seal. But it just may not be worth it. May just get some double band type clamps like those used on the rad hose..
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Del70
I think I may have the old pliers used back then, for spreading the clamp…but not tighten, which I fear I will have to do to get them to seal.
The spring clamps that I am referring to are just one piece of thick wire/spring steel bent into a circle with the ends sticking straight outward for you to grab with the tool and squeeze together which enlarges the circle so you can slip it over the hose and then just let go. The spring tension alone holds and seals the hose. I'm not familiar with a tool that would "tighten" that type of clamp.