General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970-1972 Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

1970-1972 Cruise Control

Anyone know where I can get the rubber vacuum diaphragm for 1970-1972 Cutlass cruise control? I have all the parts I need to make it a functioning system, but the rubber is rotted right out. I tried Steel Rubber parts-no luck. I know it's not a common option on these cars. Not sure, but I think Olds used the same vacuum diaphragm up to 1975. Anyway, please LMK. Thx.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM

While I do not know the answer to your question, this inquiring mind wants to know where I can get all this cruise control stuff! Any repros made or is it available only used?

I sure want to add it to my 72 as it will eventually be my "Cruise the USA" car. I did 900 miles with it once in 13 hours and my foot and leg was tired.
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thumbs up

Where did I get all the parts? I've been patiently shopping the web. I've found quite a bit of good stuff on ebay. There's gold on the internet. If you're not in a hurry, it just takes time.

FYI, I just bought a complete (drool) NOS cruise unit for my Cutlass. I was expecting to pay upwards of 1000 to get it, and probably would have too. Must have been the planets lining up, because I got it for just under 230.00.

I'm taking my time to do a quality restoration on my Cutlass. I admire your dream, and one day I'll be in the same spot 'cause these cars were meant to be driven. There is nothing (and I mean NOTHING) cooler than taking your ride out on the town. Seems like everywhere I go, someone wants me to stop and have a look at the car. (you'll love this) Last summer I had the car out for a quick run to the Grove and back. One guy couldn't stop watching my car and almost hit the ditch at 65mph!! Felt sorry for him, so I stopped to let him look. Aaaahhh, the thrills of owning a bygone head turner.

Allan R
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Paul,
I really enjoyed looking at your website and checked out some of the links.
Re: the rubber diaphrapm - nope, I'm in no hurry. Have a great vacation. LMK what you find when you come back.

BTW, my project car is my Dad's Cutlass S that he bought new. I'm putting every option that Olds offered (within reason) into this. Dad always ascribed to armstrong everything. So this car came as a basic A52 option package (PS,PB,AT).

I have a thing for big cars, and have owned 98's since 1983. There's just a special feel about them you won't find in other cars. But, I enjoy the heck out driving both of my Olds. Soon as I figure out how to put pictures in here, I'll put in a couple for you.
Best regards,
Allan R
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Oops! I posted a link to a website and noticed it wasn't what you needed. Sorry.
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

If you need the rubber diaphragm that looks like a bellows they are hard to find in good shape, been there. They are rare to begin with and are usually dry rotted or are worn through from the internal spring, the later flatter and wider type are everywhere but not sure if they will work with the earlier set-up. They have to hold a vacuum once they are fitted over the end plate, a Mity-Vac comes in handy for testing. I found an old NOS unit about a year back on evilbay, an MG parts guy had a few and they were 25 bucks buy it now and they sold in about 3 hours. I guess MG used the same diaphragm on their cruise control or for something at some time. The tranducers are available rebuilt from Cardone but they only had a few on hand in the system last time I checked and they don't want cores, so if anybody needs one get it now. My '71 Vista Cruiser has it factory, you have to have cruise on a cruiser.

Allan
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

No apologies needed, Like I said I enjoyed checking out the link and it was OLDS.

Allan R
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Allan (you've got a great name buddy!!)

Thanks for the info.

71 Vista Cruiser?? Sweet. I love the look of that model. I had a 73 Custom Cruiser (5200 lbs of go anywhere in comfort) that I had to give up when gas went up (can't believe I'm going to say this.....) to only 1.15 a gallon. It was gold with the woodgrain sides and saddle interior. Didn't need a tent for camping, I had the Cruiser. If I had cruise on this baby, it probably would have got more than the 18 mpg I used to get. Probably would run out of gas closing the door if I still had it.

Allan R
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM

I was afraid that used was the only way to get a system...SO, if any of you guys have WHOLE pieces you would like to sell, PM me on what you have and I will start piecing it together. I think 250 is not bad for a whole system but want to keep it under 350 or so. I do not do ebay unless absolutely needed, as I have had too bad a luck on there in the recent past, especially with car parts. I trust Olds guys more anyway...Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Arrow

Hey Rob,
You have such a beautiful car...and putting Cruise in it would be a nice touch. But one thing my friend. The market will determine the price of what cruise will cost nowadays. I was s_ _ _ house lucky to get a NOS setup for a ridiculously low price. I know that for a fact because, like you I thought the only way to get a complete system was used. Buying the pieces one at a time is sometimes the only way you can get them. FYI, a good transducer can run you from 50 - 125 bucks or more, the turn stalk goes routinely for 75-125. And then there's linkages, mounts and vacuum module. The wiring harness is easy and cheap to get. So's the brake switch. But, the really hard part??? Getting the proper dash switch. They are nearly impossible to find. You can use the escutcheon plate from a power top switch and order the metallic overlay from H&H restorations. But the switch???? It's special. It looks like the power top, but it is 3 position and has a red indicator light built into the middle. I'm thinking that your estimate of 250-350 could be a little low but you never know. And don't forget shipping costs. Overall, to put together a good "used" complete unit has cost me over 600 bucks. And I'm still looking for good sources of wearable parts.
I can appreciate how you might feel about ebay; I've had some enlightening experiences there too. But, overall it's been ok. I would seriously set up a search engine there and keep watching. Obviously you don't have to buy unless you want. Hope you get everything you're looking for. My extra complete cruise system for 1971/72 Cutlass is not up for grabs because I want reserve parts in case anything needs replacing. Honestly, post a want or search the web for complete cruise systems. I use GOOGLE and search for "Cutlass / 442 Parts". If you can find a complete cruise at a dismantlers, more power to you, but hese cars are really getting hard to find. Maybe check out swap meets or car shows. I haven't found a lot there for Olds though. You can get the wiring harness new from Fusicks and Parts Place for sure. I bought mine through EZ2wire, price was great and it's perfect but delivery was painfully slow.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks Allen for filling me in a bit. Yea, I thought 300 was a little low and 500 seems more realistic for obsolete parts. I will need spare parts as well.
Yes, the only repro part I found was the wire harness, I guess that is a start!
I will just collect parts as I can run across them - not a big priority I guess.
With so many car partings here on this forum, i hope to find some things here and there.

Maybe by the time I am ready for these long trips I will finally have a SO who can help me drive. Maybe then I will not even need cruise...
900 miles in 13 hours was a bit much anyway I look at it.
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
Anyone know where I can get the rubber vacuum diaphragm for 1970-1972 Cutlass cruise control? I have all the parts I need to make it a functioning system, but the rubber is rotted right out. I tried Steel Rubber parts-no luck. I know it's not a common option on these cars. Not sure, but I think Olds used the same vacuum diaphragm up to 1975. Anyway, please LMK. Thx.
Hey, what year rubber servo deal are you looking for, still need it? The '71 used the earlier cylindrical one and the Jupiter II shaped one was later, may have used both in '71? I know a guy that has one of the later units with the bracket, are they all the same? I checked it out and it is in real good shape, did the compress it and hold your finger over the hole test and it stays in fine, may leak slightly around the backing plate but it can be taken off and resealed easily with silicone per the manual. I just did mine, it held fine and was within the leakdown rate but I had nothing better to do at the moment, thing holds vacuum like outer space now. If you are interested let me know, the guy hoards parts but I can probably get it with some adult beverage persuasion.

Allan
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
The '71 used the earlier cylindrical one and the Jupiter II shaped one was later, may have used both in '71? Allan
Hmm, I did not know about these differences. This is good info to know when seeking my cruise set...
Can you tell what type of servo this one is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelone...05/2749638502/

This is on a 71 but looks identical to the parts shown in my 72 service manual.
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

That looks like the newer version of the servo, but my assembly manual shows both? transducer has 3 wires instead of two like the '70 unit, I have one of those laying around if you need it. I mentioned in another post that the servo bellows I got was from an MG place that was liquidating and is gone now. I was looking at the receipt and noticed that they also sold Jag, Rolls, and Land Rover parts which made me curious. I searched around a little and noticed a servo that looks exactly like the earlier one and it is for Jags or Rolls Royce. There are no sizes listed but I bet that it is the same one I got for mine, just have to find out the diameter to know for sure, dead ringer for it. They are cheap too, one place I linked to is more expensive but has a better pic, everybody with those parts has them it seems. I would contact one of these or any other place and get the diameter, get ready for metric if it is across the pond, even saw one on evilbay AU going right now. This is only the bellows and you will need the end plates and spring that goes inside, this is the part that is always bad though. If the servo is the same there may be a whole new source. I could keep it a secret and buy some and sell them as Olds units and turn a nice profit, but I'm too nice a guy , dibs on the idea anyway.

The servo is 4-1/4 inches wide and 2-1/4 inches high assembled with the spring inside.

Allan

http://www.importpartsspec.com/cart/show/item/264438

http://http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?&sku=IN100497

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/...4a086bdb_b.jpg

Last edited by Bluevista; August 10th, 2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: size of servo
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Replying to my own post, like talking to yourself. There are a bunch of those things on evilbay, now that I found what they call them, if they are the same it would be cool. Just search "Jaguar Cruise Control Bellows", worth a shot anyway.

Allan
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Allan,
An interesting cross reference.
So would the Jag bellows fit the old style or the new style servos or both?
I need to find me a 'new style' housing to look 'correct' for 72...

Also, could you PM me a picture (or link) of your 'spare' regulator? I might need a spare unit.
Thanks!