General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1964 Olds Jetstar1 Value?

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM

1964 Olds Jetstar1 Value?

I have a friend who has a 64 jetstar1 the car is SUPER loaded with options
394 motor
power bucket seat
FM radio
Vacuum Trunk Release
Autronic Eye
Tilt
Power Antenna
AC
Power Windows
Power Brakes
Power Steering

My question is whats it worth? Its a project car but solid im considering buying it and maybe parting it out but i am not really famaliar with oldsmobiles. Thanks for the input!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Trying to remember member

Yes, that is a highly unusual '64 Jetstar 1 being highly optioned like that. I can safely say that being optioned like that means it had a higher sticker price than a basic Starfire, and a basic Starfire isn't very basic.
Unfortunately, '64 Jetstar 1s don't bring much money. Relatively too little, as far a I'm concerned. So a car car like this ends up being worth less than the cost to restore it. The sad reality of a lot of cars out there.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM

OK so are the parts worth much? Like the options? I dont know much abou toldsmobiles i mean power bucket seat is worth ? fm? power windows? ac? 394? im just wondering if its worth my time to part it out.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM

I have a feeling that car is worth more whole than in pieces, especially if it is rust-free, which judging by the pictures, it is.
Clean the dust off, put some wheels on it, and maybe free up some bits, and sell it whole. If all these things get parted out, there's just going to be a bunch of useless parts floating around, with no cars to go to. Combining it with a rusty car with a good interior would be perfect.
Just don't part it out.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:29 AM

ok whats a fair price for it as it sits?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM

According to the Old Cars Price Guide, a complete '64 Jetstar 1 in parts-car-only condition is worth about $900. If it's better than parts car but doesn't run and is worth restoring, the value jumps to about $2600. That's a big jump, in my opinion. I'd be surprised if you could get that much for a non-running but complete '64 Jetstar 1.

Anyway, as far as parts, it seems like there are always people on here looking for bumpers, especially rear bumpers, for a '64 full-size Olds. They tended to rust through at the mounting points, so finding good quality cores is difficult.

You don't have a photo of the rear, but that front bumper looks pretty good and could really help someone's restoration if you do decide to part it out. Body and trim pieces are not reproduced for the full-size Oldsmobiles, so if those fenders, hood, etc. are all good, they're worth something to somebody.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM

rear bumpers gone. what are the options worth? fm radio hard to find i would guess, tilt? ac parts? power bucket?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM

They'll probably have some value, but it's very difficult to put a dollar amount on. It's also likely that it would take time to find homes for them. Are you willing to hang on to this car for a year or two and advertise the fact that you have it in order to sell off those kinds of parts? I think that's what some of them might take.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM

OK i wasnt sure how popular options and accessories were for these cars i know a 64 chevy fm radio goes for 5-700 alone so i wasnt sure how valuable this stuff was for the olds.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM

I think the radio itself could be worth something, if it's in good working order and is AM/FM.

It could be worth as much as all the rest of the car!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If it could be made to run without too much investment, you might sell it and turn a profit.

If not (and this is what I would expect to be the case), you're looking at an uphill battle.

It looks worth buying if you like it and want to slowly bring it back to life.
If not, then turn around, and walk slowly away from the vehicle...

Also, if you decide not to buy it, why not post its location so that others here with similar cars can have a shot at it?

- Eric
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM

well i can get the car for a reasonable price (under 1000) so i think ill buy it and part it out. seems like i can do fairly well based on the options it has.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM

Is that a "C"clamp holding the thermostat housing??

Like they have said, you must have plenty of time to part it out. Also if you sell a couple of parts can you hold onto it until the rest sells ? It may take a couple of years. I think your best bet is to clean it up, see if it will run. Then sell it as a whole car. Put it up on all the Oldsmobile sites, the "HAMB" web site, "Classic cars for sale", where ever there is a for sale place. Remember you may sell one or two parts and be stuck with an incomplete car that nobody wants. Do you have a place to store it? I don't think much of the parts will fit a chevy, Buick, or Pontiac.
Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; February 2nd, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM

Where are you and the car located? I am looking for a parts car for my Dynamic 88 restoration. I don't care about the engine or tranny. Mostly looking for good sheetmetal and trim pieces. Do you have more pics? How clean are the front and rear quarters? Any rust on the back of the trunk lid or inner part of the front quarters just forward of the hood hinges (the inner jamb where the hood fits in? Dean