What do I have here?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2019, 06:12 PM

What do I have here?

I bought a bunch of parts from a guy who was moving, one box was full of old wiring harnesses. I needed a connector, started going thru the box and found this. It had a BUSS ATO style fuse box, it fits the bulkhead fitting perfectly. The back side of the fuse box has no hacked up wiring, but connectors, or other “caveman redneck” wiring hacks. The harness has the round pin connector used on the 68-72 gauge pods, square alternator plug, flat 4 wire external regulator plug, resistance wire and yellow bypass wire for a points ignition.

I’m pretty sure the ATO style fuses didn’t become common until the late 70s, so if this is a conversion someone did, they were VERY meticulous. Has anyone seen something like this? Other than the ATO fuse box, it’s identical to every other A body harness.

Square external regulator alternator plug

External regulator plug

Points resistance wire and bypass wire

No hacked wiring, looks factory
Old February 7th, 2019, 07:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

My guess would be that's an older replacement harness for the 68-72 cars. Probably from the 1980s or 90s. Certainly nothing from the factory would have said "Bussman" on it.
Old February 7th, 2019, 08:14 AM

You can still buy fuse blocks from them:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...fb-blocks.html
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
My guess would be that's an older replacement harness for the 68-72 cars. Probably from the 1980s or 90s. Certainly nothing from the factory would have said "Bussman" on it.

i know it’s not factory, I was thinking limo, hearse, or some other commercial duty car, or aftermarket conversion to the above vehicles. Just curious if anyone had ever seen something like this, or could shed some light on the subject.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds

i know it’s not factory, I was thinking limo, hearse, or some other commercial duty car, or aftermarket conversion to the above vehicles. Just curious if anyone had ever seen something like this, or could shed some light on the subject.
The problem, as you point out, is that the ATO fuses weren't used for automotive purposes until much later. Also, Olds offered commercial and police packages that included upgraded wiring, bigger alternator, and factory harnesses for things like sirens and lights. That's why I think it's an early repro harness.