Unknown wires above transmission

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Unknown wires above transmission

Got the Cutlass home and am going over it. While under the car I discovered a couple of wires that come together at a rubber boot. I can't tell where they originate. And they were not hooked up.

Can anyone shed some light on what this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wire above transmission.jpg (66.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg
Wire above trans 2.jpg (69.7 KB, 29 views)
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Registered

Isn't that for the downshift/passing gear solenoid? There should be a a connection on the left side of the trans near the back of the pan that it plugs into, just about in the area you're showing.
The wire should come from the downshift switch under the dash if it is what I think it is.

The orange with black stripe wire goes tho the bulkhead connector then inside it orange to the downshift switch. The dark green wire goes to the bulkhead connector then it is dark green with double white stripe to the neutral safety/reverse light switch on the lower column.

Last edited by Bluevista; March 7th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Could possibly be the TCS connection (Transmission Controlled Spark)?
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scrappie
I forgot to mention that the green wire is for the TCS solenoid.
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Isn't that for the downshift/passing gear solenoid? There should be a a connection on the left side of the trans near the back of the pan that it plugs into, just about in the area you're showing.
The wire should come from the downshift switch under the dash if it is what I think it is.

The orange with black stripe wire goes tho the bulkhead connector then inside it orange to the downshift switch. The dark green wire goes to the bulkhead connector then it is dark green with double white stripe to the neutral safety/reverse light switch on the lower column.
Originally Posted by scrappie
Thanks for the information guys, I will crawl back under the car today and look for the connection. I found the wire tucked by the right side of the tranny, so that is where I searched the most and did not see anything.

The guy I bought it from had a Transmission place rebuild/or put a rebuilt TH350 in the car within the last year. Apparently they forgot to hook it up.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM

The th350 doesn't use that wire it has a cable that runs to the carb. That does the same thing. Those wires are for a th400. The cars are set up for both. The only thing it would be missing other then the th400 would be the detent switch on the gas pedal arm. Don't worry about it you don't need it unless you upgrade to the th400.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
The th350 doesn't use that wire it has a cable that runs to the carb. That does the same thing. Those wires are for a th400. The cars are set up for both. The only thing it would be missing other then the th400 would be the detent switch on the gas pedal arm. Don't worry about it you don't need it unless you upgrade to the th400.

Good to know. I probably would have spent half the day under the car looking for something to plug that damn boot into. I guess I will just clean the wires, wrap everything up and store them away until a TH400 drops in my lap.

BTW, I would like to thank all that take the time to respond. It sure enlightens newbies like me.
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

You guys nailed it. I answered the question in the Transmission thread, but you all beat me to it.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM

The TCS is not even worth hooking up - just tape and forget for now.
Originally Posted by defiant1
I guess I will just clean the wires, wrap everything up and store them away until a TH400 drops in my lap.
Come to Texas and you might get your wish... At least one 454 engine block was taken away from a barn by a tornado, never to be found again.
Of course we all know what comes up must come down, and I bet you would not want that dropping in your lap!
I still wonder about the sound it made when it reached Earth, and if someone was around to hear it (and remember it).