Right Brake Light Not Working - '65

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2020, 01:00 PM

Right Brake Light Not Working - '65

The right brake light on my '65 doesn't work. Right parking light and right turn signal work, as does everything on the left side.
Based on another thread, it looks like the turn-signal switch. Any other possibilities?
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
The right brake light on my '65 doesn't work. Right parking light and right turn signal work, as does everything on the left side.
Based on another thread, it looks like the turn-signal switch. Any other possibilities?
The turn signal switch is the only place that could be causing the problem, so your diagnosis is correct. The wire from the switch to the socket is the same piece of copper for both the brake and turn signal circuits, so if one works, the wire, socket, bulb, and ground are all good. The turn signal switch will switch that wire to the right side socket between the brake circuit and the turn signal circuit when you move the lever. I assume this behavior happens both with running lights on and off, right?

One easy test is to disconnect the plug to the turn signal switch and apply 12V to the wire to the RH brake/turn light. This should be the dark green wire (though I have to admit that the wiring diagram in the CSM calls that RH in one place and LH in another place - the alternative is the black with yellow stripe wire).
Old October 28th, 2020, 02:33 PM

Thanks, Joe. Affirmative on the same behavior with running lights on or off.
I did find a new turn-signal switch in my stash, that I did not buy; so it must've come with the bevy of parts that came with the Vista Cruiser.