Old School speaker box

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Old School speaker box

Haven't been able to do much to the car this year because of the money situation, so I decided if I'm going to cruise around here and there I need some tunes. Since the factory AM radio limits my listening enjoyment, I went to work on a solution. I wanted to keep the factory radio wired to the front speaker just in case I wanted to flash back to the 70's. I had some sound system parts laying around, a vintage pare of new Kraco Slimline 5" dual cone speakers I bought back in the mid 80's to install in my 72's doors or kicks and a recently acquired Pioneer 4X45watt Super Tuner III CD head unit. I just needed rear speakers for the tray and got some Sony Xplod 6X9 3 ways. I installed the 5" Kraco's in the kicks with the head unit located in the dash glove box. Sound was real good but I felt the Kraco 15 watt max needed a little help so I thought of designing a box to straddle the console under the dash, out of the way angling speakers toward the front occupants. Mocked up the model out of cardboard after taking some measurements. After 8 or so hours, a little scrap plywood, with another new vintage set of Kraco Slimline speakers from a E-bay seller, and viola, a retro speaker install from back in the day.
The box is temp wedged in place with some high density foam rubber and foam protecting the console contact surfaces. Took a little fitting to get it right then stained it walnut. What do you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Right channel speakers.jpg (91.0 KB, 4 views)
Right left channel.jpg (91.0 KB, 4 views)
Head unit in box.jpg (52.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Wireman134; July 13th, 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Double post