Offset Wiper Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM

Offset Wiper Motor Question

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this. I just replaced the wiper assembly in my 65 442 with another from a 65 f-85. The main arm on the 442 one was about 3/4 inch longer than the f-85 one. Someone had put a new motor on an offset plate to make it fit, since the center was now further to the driver's side and a normal motor wouldn't bolt up to it and do a full circle. It would bind.
The assembly from the f-85 fit perfectly and is hooked up and working in the 442, stock transmission assembly bolted to motor, all bolted to original holes in the firewall.
My question is...why would anybody put an assembly in with a longer drive bar in the first place? Did they just use the wrong assembly and were then playing catch-up, or was it a thought out plan to move the wiper motor over a bit for clearance purposes?
The off-set plate looks professionally built and the three holes line up perfectly with the ones in the firewall, but there are two extras for the new wiper motor, as it has a different footprint.
The whole thing has me shaking my head a bit.
Old October 5th, 2013, 12:34 AM

You didn't say if you swapped from 1 speed or square motor to two speed round motor, all i can tell you is that the two speed round motor requires the adapter mounted to the firewall,mounting it directly to the firewall will not work.My f85 has the round 2 speed motor with the adapter that bolts to the firewall.I recall reading a post a couple of months ago the op was assembling a 64 he got in pcs and ran into this same problem.
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by nsnarsk65cutlass
You didn't say if you swapped from 1 speed or square motor to two speed round motor, all i can tell you is that the two speed round motor requires the adapter mounted to the firewall,mounting it directly to the firewall will not work.My f85 has the round 2 speed motor with the adapter that bolts to the firewall.I recall reading a post a couple of months ago the op was assembling a 64 he got in pcs and ran into this same problem.
Interesting observation. My switch appears to be for a two speed. The motor I swapped into the 442 came from the f-85 and looks like a square motor. The one I removed from the 442 looked like a round motor, but not stock. It bolted onto the adapter plate, but the wiring harness didn't go near it so there was a jumper wire run to it. It looked really hokey, so I replaced it all with the f-85 stuff. Looks proper now, but only have one speed. Maybe the other stuff is stock for a two speed set-up. I'll have to do some more research before I get rid of stuff. I want it to look stock, and not really planning to drive it in the rain, but the best laid plans of mice and men....
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Ya the 2 spd round motor on my car has that jumper harness and it's factory,yes it does look hokey.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nsnarsk65cutlass
Ya the 2 spd round motor on my car has that jumper harness and it's factory,yes it does look hokey.
Maybe I disassembled a factory unit. Hmmm....maybe I can then sell the whole unit, transmission, offset plate and motor, to someone else !!
Always looking for a positive outcome.