Hidden lights

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Hidden lights

I am repainting the dashboard in my 55 Super 88. The glove box and ashtrays are finished. No easy feat with all those grooves. I noticed a small piece of green glass embedded near the top of the groove in the center of the ashtrays. I shined a flashlight in the hole and surmised that there is a light that shows where the ashtray is at night. What is the source of that light? I don’t see any bulbs in that area.
Quandary number 2. The courtesy light switch under the dash is a slide switch. When I removed it from the dash a small piece of what looks like folded aluminum foil fell out. Is that supposed to be there? It also appears to be a switch without an electrical connection. Surely there is wire that attaches to the switch. I can’t find any loose wires hanging under the dash nor do I see a place to attach the missing wire to the switch. Anyone have a idea?
Old July 6th, 2022, 04:43 PM

Oops! Never mind the first question. I had been looking for the ashtray light with just the parking lights on (first click on the headlight switch) but when I turned the headlights on too, the ashtrays lit right up. The bulbs are hidden above the ashtrays. Still need to know about the courtesy light switch.