84 Delta No reverse light

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM

84 Delta No reverse light

Hi and thanks for any help on this,
I have an 84 delta 88 with a 307 engine and my back up lights will not work. I have replaced the bulbs, neutral saftey switch, and checked fuses but still no back up lights. I need to get the car inspected so I can park and restore my 88 ss monte. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by delta dude
Hi and thanks for any help on this,
I have an 84 delta 88 with a 307 engine and my back up lights will not work. I have replaced the bulbs, neutral saftey switch, and checked fuses but still no back up lights. I need to get the car inspected so I can park and restore my 88 ss monte. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
There isn't a lot to the backup light circuit. Power comes into the switch (with key on) and goes out to the sockets. The sockets are grounded to the body.

First question is, when you replaced the switch, did you adjust it properly? The switch on these cars snaps into place and should automatically adjust position as you move the shifter through the gears. Have someone stand behind the car and check to see if the lights come on when you move the shifter through the gears.

Assuming that isn't the problem, pull the connector with the two green wires off the switch and jumper across the terminals in the connector. With the key on, you should have lights. If not, check for +12V to ground on one of the two pins in the connector. If not, find the power problem. If you have power, put the jumper back in and trace the green wire back to the backup light sockets. This could also be a simple bad ground at the socket.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Hi and thanks for the response,
The connector with the 2 green wires is not connected and I do not see where the can be connected to the saftey switch. I know this to be the problem because I used a jumper wire and the lights work. Is there a male connector for this or is it supposed to be connected on the saftey switch? Is it possible that I have the wrong switch because the one I removed did not have a place for the connector. Thanks
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by delta dude
Hi and thanks for the response,
The connector with the 2 green wires is not connected and I do not see where the can be connected to the saftey switch. I know this to be the problem because I used a jumper wire and the lights work. Is there a male connector for this or is it supposed to be connected on the saftey switch? Is it possible that I have the wrong switch because the one I removed did not have a place for the connector. Thanks
You must have the wrong switch. There should be two sets of terminals, one pair for the neutral safety switch and one pair for the backup light switch. In the interim you can simply wire a toggle switch between those green wires to pass inspection.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Thanks,
after looking online, I do have the wrong switch. Thanks for all the help and may be back in the future if I have a problem,lol. What would dummies like myself do without the internet sites like this and knowledgeable people like yourself, besides spend a lot of money. Thanks again