Heater Instrument Light

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2024, 01:30 PM

Heater Instrument Light

Does anyone know how the heater instrument light is removed? I know that it's from behind, but it in there pretty snug and I don't want to just pull on it or twist it and end up snapping something off.

Thanks
Old February 18th, 2024, 01:30 PM

Sorry, 1972 Cutlass Supreme.
Old February 18th, 2024, 06:17 PM

Can you be more specific on which light you are referring to? I’ve been around these cars since the 70s and I do not know which lamp you mean.
Old February 18th, 2024, 06:20 PM
Oldsdruid

I think the best way to get at it will be to remove the instrument cluster faceplate, then remove the clock or blankoff plate (comes out from the front of the dash) and go in thru the clock opening. That way you can see down into the HVAC control and get a bit better view of what you're doing.

This the floodlight above the HVAC head, right? Bulb replacement should be remove the floodlight lens and replace the bulb if that's all you need to do.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 18th, 2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old February 19th, 2024, 07:12 AM

There are two light bulbs in the lower part part of the dash just over the heater control levers (same as over the wiper switch on the other side of the steering wheel). When you remove the phillips head screw and green acrylic lens, there is a small metal diffuser that is part of the lower dash, so the bulbs aren't accessible by just removing the acrylic lens. I can reach the bulbs with my fingers from under the dash, but they would not come out by pulling them straight out or twisting them, as you would for the rest of the dash light bulb sockets.
Old February 19th, 2024, 07:38 AM
Running On Empty

I'll see if I can find a reference - I've replaced many bulbs. I "think" the bulb(s) you're after are 161 bulbs. I'll have a look at the PIM to find a number to cross reference but I'm rather certain they're of the 161 type.

Old February 19th, 2024, 07:52 AM
Running On Empty

So far, no luck. I think there exists a chart in either the CSM or the PIM which lists the bulbs/lamps and locations? Can't recall. I was hoping the page which lists the flood light filter would list the bulb/lamp - no such luck, sorry.

Old February 19th, 2024, 08:02 AM
Running On Empty

Sorry can't provide more help. I just can't remember exactly which bulb it is. Even the chart Joe listed in this (below) URL link doesn't provide the exact position for your situation (that I could find). It's an inquiry you made yourself some time ago. Good Luck.

72 442 Dashboard Indicator Light Inquiry
Old February 19th, 2024, 08:20 AM

The bulbs that I am referring to are the two "flood light" locations in Joe's illustration. Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Jim
Old February 19th, 2024, 10:09 AM

They are in plastic housings that need a quarter turn counter clockwise to remove (counter clockwise if you're laying under the dash looking at the back of the bulb). Easiest to get to by pulling the clock (or tach).
The plastic is probably extremely brittle and will break. That's more or less OK - it'll still hold the bulb but might rattle. Replacement housings are surprisingly hard to find. You can get an entire accessory light harness with the right housings, or try a generic "twist lock 168 bulb socket". You need the ones with wires - not the ones that have wipers that go onto a circuit board. I haven't verified that the generic ones actually fit though.

Here's a pic of the harness. The white sockets are the bulb sockets. They twist into the metal housings.
https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...p?number=15600

I'd almost recommend just replacing the harness, but it includes the bulb on the headlight switch which is just a real adventure to deal with.
Old February 19th, 2024, 11:49 AM

Thanks for this info. Kind of what I figured, but did want to just snap them off. I've had the car since 1978, so I guess I can't complain that I have a bulb out.
Old February 19th, 2024, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Knights
The bulbs that I am referring to are the two "flood light" locations in Joe's illustration. Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Jim
Deleted