Battery / Generator issue

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2024, 03:24 PM

Battery / Generator issue

Hello all,

I tested my voltage at the battery after a long drive and I have 12.3 volts. I know this is low. I then checked voltage at the generator with the car running, and I get about 14 volts. What could be going on here? My voltage regulator is about 2 monhts old, and I did polarize it, unless I did that part wrong. Any ideas here? Battery is 1 year old. 1961 Olds 98, 394, 4bbl.

Thanks guys.
Old April 24th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Administrator

What is the voltage at the battery with the engine running?
Old April 24th, 2024, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What is the voltage at the battery with the engine running?
It is about 12.1 - 12.3 with the engine running, no matter the idle.
Old April 24th, 2024, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by eggydrummer
Hello all,

I tested my voltage at the battery after a long drive and I have 12.3 volts. I know this is low. I then checked voltage at the generator with the car running, and I get about 14 volts. What could be going on here? My voltage regulator is about 2 monhts old, and I did polarize it, unless I did that part wrong. Any ideas here? Battery is 1 year old. 1961 Olds 98, 394, 4bbl.

Thanks guys.
I thought your issue was resolved a couple months ago? Something change? I recall you had a wire incorrectly installed. I'll have to look at your old thread when I get a chance.
Old April 24th, 2024, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I thought your issue was resolved a couple months ago? Something change? I recall you had a wire incorrectly installed. I'll have to look at your old thread when I get a chance.
I thought the same thing. The GEN light issue was taken care of. Voltage was around 14.5 or so running, and since then, it has dropped. I have changed nothing since.
Old April 24th, 2024, 04:01 PM
Running On Empty

Here's your old thread just for context in case another member wants to review. I'll look at it in a bit. It still may be related to your current (new) issue.

GEN light always on?
Old April 24th, 2024, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Hello all,

Thanks guys.
Just for clarity, not to be picky; but, you don't polarize a VR, you polarize the ALT via the VR on your GM vehicle.
Old April 24th, 2024, 04:05 PM

Just for clarity, not to be picky; but, you don't polarize a VR, you polarize the ALT via the VR on your GM vehicle.
I do appreciate the nit pick, I gotta get this stuff right.
Old April 24th, 2024, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

That's OK. Not everyone is going to get that point. The point being is the ALT needs to know which direction to send the voltage. You're fine, you're getting it.
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I spent time reviewing your other thread w/ particular attention to two items:

(1) You noted previous mechanics mentioned some wiring issues/peculiarities (near the fuse box/firewall?); and,
(2) Wiring diagrams.

If this were my issue, I would unequivocally start w/ the absolute basics by labeling every single wire which makes up the charging circuit. Between your B&W diagram(s) and the diagrams supplied by Supernice88 you should take a marker/pen and painters (blue) tape and label each wire in the wiring circuit so each wire clearly represents, is identifiable & most importantly matches the exact wiring of the wiring diagrams. Yes, this can be daunting - we've all had to do it at some point. There exists no miracle cure here. You must label & identify every wire in the charging circuit. There are a cluster of red wires you'll find in the color wiring diagram - label every one of them to match the wiring diagram. Stay with the charging circuit only. Label the battery wire(s), the horn relay junction block wires, every wire between the generator & the VR. This is going to take you a little time & effort. Lay out ~5" pieces of blue painter's tape on a table. Write on each piece of tape the color & purpose of wire TO/FROM VR>BATT, TO/FROM VR FIELD, TO/FROM horn relay junction box, etc. etc. etc. Use a notebook (whatever), print out the wiring diagrams. I see no other manner in which to begin troubleshooting your issue until you have 100% confidence your labels match the wiring diagrams/schematics.

EDIT: Don't short cut yourself. You MUST validate the beginning and end-point of each of those wires -don't simply toss on a label and call it a day. VALIDATE each wire's beginning and end point match the wiring diagram. Good Luck and have fun.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 24th, 2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old April 24th, 2024, 11:24 PM

Take a volt reading at the reg gen terminal with the car at idle, then again with the engine at a higher rpm. Do the same reading at the reg B terminal
Old April 25th, 2024, 03:53 PM

Mike - I spent time reviewing your other thread w/ particular attention to two items:

(1) You noted previous mechanics mentioned some wiring issues/peculiarities (near the fuse box/firewall?); and,
(2) Wiring diagrams.

If this were my issue, I would unequivocally start w/ the absolute basics by labeling every single wire which makes up the charging circuit. Between your B&W diagram(s) and the diagrams supplied by Supernice88 you should take a marker/pen and painters (blue) tape and label each wire in the wiring circuit so each wire clearly represents, is identifiable & most importantly matches the exact wiring of the wiring diagrams. Yes, this can be daunting - we've all had to do it at some point. There exists no miracle cure here. You must label & identify every wire in the charging circuit. There are a cluster of red wires you'll find in the color wiring diagram - label every one of them to match the wiring diagram. Stay with the charging circuit only. Label the battery wire(s), the horn relay junction block wires, every wire between the generator & the VR. This is going to take you a little time & effort. Lay out ~5" pieces of blue painter's tape on a table. Write on each piece of tape the color & purpose of wire TO/FROM VR>BATT, TO/FROM VR FIELD, TO/FROM horn relay junction box, etc. etc. etc. Use a notebook (whatever), print out the wiring diagrams. I see no other manner in which to begin troubleshooting your issue until you have 100% confidence your labels match the wiring diagrams/schematics.

EDIT: Don't short cut yourself. You MUST validate the beginning and end-point of each of those wires -don't simply toss on a label and call it a day. VALIDATE each wire's beginning and end point match the wiring diagram. Good Luck and have fun.
Thanks for that, I will do that. I appreciate the feedback as always.
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks for that, I will do that. I appreciate the feedback as always.
If you can't figure out (read) where a particular wire should begin &/or end (e.g. appears confusing) just ask we'll help figure it out. No sense guessing since you want it iron clad.