Anybody Know 65 Cutlass Dash Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2014, 12:52 PM

Anybody Know 65 Cutlass Dash Wiring?

Still trying to figure out where the ground comes from for my turn signal indicators, and probably dash lights too. I've looked at various wiring diagrams and it appears only power wires are in the bundle going to the circuit board. Everything shows as going to a common ground. I'm guessing I left a ground strap off when I swapped instruments and harnesses. The dash is grounded, but not getting to the circuit board.

Anybody know exactly where this circuit board gets it's ground?
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:06 PM

See the screw going through the printed circuit, with the pencil pointing to it? That's the ground. This is not a 65 cutlass dash, it is a 66 Skylark dash. But all the GM stuff from that era worked the same. And there can be more than one of these bolts going through the circuit board and doing the same grounding job. Possible answers to the no ground question can be a bad circuit "board", bad ground at the site of the bolt(s) or elsewhere, no one can tell from afar.

Good luck,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DASH GROUND 002.jpg (48.7 KB, 27 views)
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:09 PM

Excellent picture Mike. Thank you greatly. I'll stuff my fat $ss under there tomorrow and see what's up !!
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:09 PM

The wiring diaphragms for the 65 year cars sucks. I have the factory manual and doesn't show the blower motor circuit which is what I need. My blower runs all the time, I finally put in a tingle switch to shut it off. Sorry I'm off the subject.
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
The wiring diaphragms for the 65 year cars sucks. I have the factory manual and doesn't show the blower motor circuit which is what I need. My blower runs all the time, I finally put in a tingle switch to shut it off. Sorry I'm off the subject.
Quite alright. I enjoy hearing about other people's wiring tragedies. Makes mine seem not so painful, somehow...
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:00 PM

It would appear I've mis-diagnosed my problem. I seem to be finding grounds on the circuit board. I also found my meter was dead and I had to put a new battery in it. I'm hoping the ground is all common back there. If so, I guess it's not getting the signal to the dash blinkers.
Heavy sigh....no schematic....more heavy sigh....
Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM

I may say, the copper ground strap that attaches from the back of the passenger side head to the firewall is electrical ground for the body including the dash. The small ground wire that's part of the negative battery cable attaches to the frame grounds the frame electrical-tail lights, head lights, horns, parking lamps, horn etc. On my 64 F-85 build, I made a heavy 0 gauge ground cable from the battery to the front of the drivers head and then from there ran a copper ground strap to where that stock little ground wire was originally attached to the frame. I also made a heavy 0 gauge positive cable to the relay from the battery along with a Scorpion Digital Battery Terminal-of course if the goal is Concurs 65 stock some of this won't work.
Attached Images
IMG_2728.JPG (106.5 KB, 18 views)
IMG_2725.JPG (138.0 KB, 19 views)
IMG_2297.jpg (83.8 KB, 20 views)
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:29 PM

Hey Robski....beautiful pictures in the previous frame. Too nice to drive !!
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Honestdave have you seen my thread titled "update progress on 64 post? it on page two under major builds. I am going to update it in a week or so. Currently attemping to install an Old Air Products modern A/C system.
Attached Images
IMG_0978.jpg (90.1 KB, 15 views)
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Honestdave have you seen my thread titled "update progress on 64 post? it on page two under major builds. I am going to update it in a week or so. Currently attemping to install an Old Air Products modern A/C system.
Spanking frame, Robski. I'll check out the build progress.