Engine Harness question

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Engine Harness question

This is on a 71 442, 455, 4-speed.

What does the black with orange stripe wire do that comes out of the engine harness bulkhead connector? On the schematics I see that it goes to the Transmission down shift solenoid, but I have a 4 speed. I can't tell from the wire bundle that is on the car if it just terminates on a 4-speed or goes somewhere.

I am asking because on my car I see that the terminal is pushed out of the block and is chewed up. It might have been making a connection, it isn't now.

The car isn't running yet, I have been doing a bunch of work on it and stumbled across this.
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kowal
This is on a 71 442, 455, 4-speed.

What does the black with orange stripe wire do that comes out of the engine harness bulkhead connector? On the schematics I see that it goes to the Transmission down shift solenoid, but I have a 4 speed. I can't tell from the wire bundle that is on the car if it just terminates on a 4-speed or goes somewhere.

I am asking because on my car I see that the terminal is pushed out of the block and is chewed up. It might have been making a connection, it isn't now.

The car isn't running yet, I have been doing a bunch of work on it and stumbled across this.
It is the downshift wire for the TH400 application,and every harness has it whether you have a TH400 or not. For non-TH400 applications the wire is supposed to be taped up out of the way.
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you Joe.

I am double checking my work before starting.

I did tap the key last night, the starter solenoid engaged, but the starter didn't drive the motor. But...I wasn't sure of the battery charge, I only had the positive cable lightly across the battery post, I hadn't checked connections, etc.. I will tighten everything tonight and I charged the battery overnight.

I got this car from Mecum in the spring. Been working on it since. It had a wrong length water pump, shimmed alternator and power steering brackets to match, wrong pulleys all conspired to have the two belts interfere, also a leaky power steering pump, damaged radiator and tapping lifters (sounded like a sewing machine). I swapped parts and fixed all of this and along the way I swapped a hacked up headlight harness for a new one, re-routed the positive battery cable to where it should be (didn't unbolt on the starter though) and a few other odds and ends.

I didn't touch the carb, distributer, starter and connections to it or most of the dash (I did replace a bad tach and cleaned up the associated wiring). I did disconnect the engine compartment bulkhead connectors when I swapped the headlight harness. I also replaced the old crappy looking alternator with a rebuilt open faced unit.

A little disappointed that it didn't just fire up last night, but tonight I will try for real. It ran reasonably well before taking it apart.