Alternator; Proform or Tuff Stuff ?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Alternator; Proform or Tuff Stuff ?

Soooooo cruising the other day, I turned a corner and the ever-so-lovely GEN light came on ! I’ve been figuring since I added two 12” Kickers and a 1300 watt amp that I’d need to go with a better than stock Walmart battery (it HAS lasted through 6 years and constant bass from a 12” subwoofer), and the stock 63A alternator. I’m also planning to add a light bar, sunroof, and possibly led rope around the ceiling; so I’ve come to the conclusion that I wanna do an 800 CCA battery and 100A alternator.

I’ve been looking into Proform and Tuff Stuff, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either? Not really going for glitz and glamour as much as performance and reliability; don't really care about all chrome this or matching that. Just looking for solid parts, so maybe I can get some opinions. Even if anyones got battery opinions, I’m all ears. Thank you CO...
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
don't really care about all chrome this or matching that. Just looking for solid parts, so maybe I can get some opinions. Even if anyones got battery opinions, I’m all ears. Thank you CO...
Then just get a 105A CS130 from a 1989-90 Custom Cruiser with Olds 307. It bolts in place of your alternator and there is even a conversion harness available so it's a plug-in. Start at RockAuto.
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:30 AM

Here's a good thread on upgrading your alternator.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pgrade-136378/

I installed a modern 10si alternator on my 71 98 and it works great. I got it at the auto parts store for less than $100. I guess I should have checked out the salvage yard I probably could have found one there cheaper.

As far as batteries are concerned I would buy one at Sam's Club/BJ's/Costco. They have the best deal around. I bought one of those Optimas and tried it but the one I got apparently had an internal short or something because it wouldn't hold a charge. So I sent it back...
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Here's a good thread on upgrading your alternator.
The OP has a 1980 Delta, so he already has a 12SI. The CS130 is a bolt-in, especially with the adapter harness.

Old May 13th, 2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Then just get a 105A CS130 from a 1989-90 Custom Cruiser with Olds 307. It bolts in place of your alternator and there is even a conversion harness available so it's a plug-in. Start at RockAuto.

Part number 3351011?
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Part number 3351011?
Yup. Just be aware that the quality of the AC Delco stuff has been dropping lately. I got a brand new AC Delco alternator for my truck a while ago. It lasted about 30 days before the rear bearing failed, which oveheated and melted the case. Yes, it was covered under warranty, but still...
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:55 PM

Yup. Just be aware that the quality of the AC Delco stuff has been dropping lately. I got a brand new AC Delco alternator for my truck a while ago. It lasted about 30 days before the rear bearing failed, which oveheated and melted the case. Yes, it was covered under warranty, but still...
Thank you Joe, I appreciate you man !
Old May 14th, 2020, 07:23 AM

If you go aftermarket I highly recommend Powermaster. They're honest about the amperage ratings and you get a test report (with graph!) with each unit.
Old May 14th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Do you really think they test each individual unit? I suspect one out of every batch and the same graph sheet in all of them for that batch
Old May 15th, 2020, 06:37 AM

Based on the units, and paperwork, I've had in my hand, I do think it's done for each unit.

I've had other brands where the "graph" was on their glossy advertisement paper. That's not so helpful.
Old May 15th, 2020, 10:08 AM

If you want a "shiny" alternator I have had good luck with Proform. I run dual electric fans, electric pump and a single 10" sub. Alternator has yet to let me down.
Old May 18th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by EarlSpilner
If you want a "shiny" alternator I have had good luck with Proform. I run dual electric fans, electric pump and a single 10" sub. Alternator has yet to let me down.

I was wondering what proforms performance was like, how do you feel about em? My build, I am adding a sunroof, and hydraulics; i also considered wiring led rope lights to a switch and running them around the roof, so I would like to be able to have something that will power that and my subs without an issue. AC Delco I'm familiar with, but figured aftermarket is worth a shot looking into also; but quality seems to be sketchy all the way around...
Old May 18th, 2020, 03:48 PM

Well with hydraulics are going to have extra batteries anyway so that will help with the momentary hi amperage draw. Mine is a 120amp and a believe they have a bigger model 150 or 180. I would get the biggest one they have and pair it with oversized batteries and you should be good.

Just be sure to hook the voltage sensor up to the factory harness and not to the back of the alternator or battery. That way it's sensing the voltage the car is getting and naturally takes into account voltage drop in your wiring.

I would also check in with some low rider forums about wiring up that hydro setup. They would likely have some good info on best practices to keep you running good. That type of setup is way out of my area of experience.
Old May 18th, 2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by EarlSpilner
Well with hydraulics are going to have extra batteries anyway so that will help with the momentary hi amperage draw. Mine is a 120amp and a believe they have a bigger model 150 or 180. I would get the biggest one they have and pair it with oversized batteries and you should be good.

Just be sure to hook the voltage sensor up to the factory harness and not to the back of the alternator or battery. That way it's sensing the voltage the car is getting and naturally takes into account voltage drop in your wiring.

I would also check in with some low rider forums about wiring up that hydro setup. They would likely have some good info on best practices to keep you running good. That type of setup is way out of my area of experience.

Oh my hydros are definitely all going to be run to external batteries, lol. I meant moreso the amp for lights, sunroof motor, and sub. I think 120 would be a bit much; though it would be safe to go a little higher, I think my application it's a bit much. I'm figuring 100A alternator and 8-850 CCA battery will do just fine. I live in NC, so the winters are nowhere near compared to what it was back in Jersey. But I appreciate ya man !
Old May 19th, 2020, 06:34 AM

LED lights, the sunroof and most stereos add almost no load. I have a 10" sub and the 5 channel amp only pulls 2 amps when turned up louder than I can stand in the car.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:28 AM

The OP has a 1980 Delta, so he already has a 12SI. The CS130 is a bolt-in, especially with the adapter harness.

would we happen to have a part number for this adapter!? JUST got the alternator, aaaaaaaaaand no adapter.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Type 12si cs130 adapter into Google...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...iring-adapters

Amazon Amazon

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...-Harnesses.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W1204-Alter...-/162516936440

https://swperformanceparts.com/ES1005W/

Old May 21st, 2020, 11:33 AM

​​​​​​@joe_padavano ; any ideas !? Coming up short on the lower bracket and the B+ battery cable is too long for the rear bracket to fit..

Old May 21st, 2020, 11:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Loosen the bolts holding the other ends of those brackets, start the bolts, then tighten the fasteners.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

The strut on the back isn't mandatory. You can remove it.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:45 AM

The strut on the back isn't mandatory. You can remove it.
you da man, thank you ! Sometimes I have the bad habit of overthinking when the answer is right there; bear with me ..
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

you da man, thank you ! Sometimes I have the bad habit of overthinking when the answer is right there; bear with me ..
The CS130 is smaller and lighter than the original 12SI, so the vibration isn't such a big deal. You should run a ground strap in place of that strut, however, just to protect the electronics in the alternator.
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:58 PM

The CS130 is smaller and lighter than the original 12SI, so the vibration isn't such a big deal. You should run a ground strap in place of that strut, however, just to protect the electronics in the alternator.

What gauge wire, and ground from the strut block side, to what? Not trying to be a butthole, just never heard of that. Unless you mean the 12g wire that goes to the back of the alternator ? Keep in mind I had to run to my job to order the adapter harness, so I havent hooked anything up; merely mounted and got it ready. Also have to pick up a battery..

Last edited by EsoWuhn; May 21st, 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:02 AM

Also, now that I’m trying to put everything together the lower mounting spot isnt threaded like the old one; where it goes through the bracket. So should I just nut and bolt it ? Or is there a better attachment method
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Also, now that I’m trying to put everything together the lower mounting spot isnt threaded like the old one; where it goes through the bracket. So should I just nut and bolt it ? Or is there a better attachment method
Yes, a nut and bolt works fine. It's just slightly more of a pain in the butt when adjusting the belt, as you need three hands.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:08 PM

Yes, a nut and bolt works fine. It's just slightly more of a pain in the butt when adjusting the belt, as you need three hands.
@joe_padavano noted. Now more questions..

can i run the alternator without the lower bracket bolt ? My problem is the bolt to hold the alrernator and p/s bracket goes in crooked with the alternator bolted on. The alternator is also tight where it adjusts, not as free moving as the OE (i understand the size differences). Itd be no problem to just shave the bracket down, but there is a bolt o the underside of it that attaches it to the block, which i have NO access to. I have included photos as well..

Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:11 PM
Rodney

Eso:
Definitely run a dedicated ground from the alternator to the engine block or run it back to the battery negative post. With that much current flowing, you don't want to chance a bad ground connection from the alt case, through the brackets, to the block, through the block ground, etc. That's alot of "connections" that can fail. A single heavy gauge wire is more dependable: under 100A run a 6 awg wire, 100-200A run a 4 awg wire. You should also "upgrade" the charge wire as well.

Rodney

Last edited by cdrod; May 22nd, 2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Eso:
Definitely run a dedicated ground from the alternator to the engine block or run it back to the battery negative post. With that much current flowing, you don't want to chance a bad ground connection from the alt case, through the brackets, to the block, through the block ground, etc. That's alot of "connections" that can fail. A single heavy gauge wire is more dependable: under 100A run a 6 awg wire, 100-200A run and 4 awg wire. You should also "upgrade" the charge wire as well.

Rodney
@cdrod noted, thank you! So just a small 4g wire from the back of the alternator bracket, to the back of the alternator? I do have a threaded port, and with the rear strut gone i can threat it to it. ...in other words, I can run my 10g battery positive to the red, and 8g negative from the bracket bolt to the black; yes ? Sorry, i do better with visuals ..

Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:49 PM

figure this oughta work? Proobably oughta get a bigger lock washer though..Getting ready to make my ground strap. Thank you for the hel gentlemen !
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:37 PM
Rodney

Eso:
You really need a larger charge wire!! If your alternator is putting out 100A, a 10 ga wire is not gonna handle that much current. 6 ga minimum 4 ga if your alternator puts out more than 100A. I have a 170A Tuff Stuff alternator and my charge and ground wires are both 4 ga. A 4 gauge wire can carry a lot of current so I have a 175A fuse between the alternator and the battery for protection. Here's some pics of my set-up. My alternator is clocked 180 degrees from yours so the Bat and ground lugs are in different locations from yours.

Rodney

Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:38 PM

Eso:
You really need a larger charge wire!! If your alternator is putting out 100A, a 10 ga wire is not gonna handle that much current. 6 ga minimum 4 ga if your alternator puts out more than 100A. I have a 170A Tuff Stuff alternator and my charge and ground wires are both 4 ga. A 4 gauge wire can carry a lot of current so I have a 175A fuse between the alternator and the battery for protection. Here's some pics of my set-up. My alternator is clocked 180 degrees from yours so the Bat and ground lugs are in different locations from yours.

Rodney

@cdrod I definitely understand now. Only thing is I haven’t chased down the wire to see WHERE it goes. I can only assume the starter, but again im not sure ?
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:07 AM
Rodney

Eso:
Do you have a chassis service manual? You need a wiring diagram to trace the charging wire. On earlier cars the charge wire connected to the horn relay, the aftermarket wiring harnesses usually route the charge wire to the starter. I'm unfamiliar with the '80 Delta, it's possible that it connects to the fuse block thru a alternator fuse.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:36 AM

Eso:
Do you have a chassis service manual? You need a wiring diagram to trace the charging wire. On earlier cars the charge wire connected to the horn relay, the aftermarket wiring harnesses usually route the charge wire to the starter. I'm unfamiliar with the '80 Delta, it's possible that it connects to the fuse block thru a alternator fuse.
I have a haynes manual, my original owners manual, and thats about it. I dont have a legit GM Chassis service manual. The wire i know goes into the wire loom, but after that I havent a clue where it goes. I read Olds had a bit of a different wiring scheme when it came to the B+ alternator wire than Chevy, but with as much reading as I’ve done I forgot where I saw it and what article/book I read. Figured I’d have to jack it up and trace the wire...ordered a Tuff Stuff 100A alternator, and have to work today so I’ll make my straps while I’m there...just have to come home and find the lines which hopefully can be done. Thank you again

@cdrod ; will post a photo once I get my wiring hooked up

Last edited by EsoWuhn; May 23rd, 2020 at 02:31 PM.