86 442 Power Locks & Windows

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Question 86 442 Power Locks & Windows

Just bought the car a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! Drivers power lock switch only unlocks passenger door but doesn't lock it while passenger switch locks and unlocks same door (but you have to really push!). Drivers door does nothing for either switch. Also, drivers power window just quit working. Could this all be related? I have a motor from my old 93 Achieva when it's windows quit but then restarted ... would that motor fit or do I need a new one?? And to get to all this, I'll need to get the door panel off. Any advice before I just start pulling at things?? Any words of advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Jim
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Past Administrator

It sounds like you might have some intermittent switches. A common problem with power switches in the doors because all it takes is one time with the window down in a rain and they can get corrosion that only gets worse with time. Sounds like you have tried to eliminate the switch from the motor but in the case of the driver's window it could be either. I am not sure if the motor from a later model car would work, your best bet would be to physically compare them side by side and see if they are the same in appearance and part number. About the inside panels, that can be tough. I have never removed one from that year and model Olds. I understand your reluctance to just start ripping things out, almost universally the arm rest comes loose first with long screws that secure it to the inner door metal, then from there the panel/panels. There may be some screws or not. Usually along the bottom they use pop in friction retainers. Hopefully someone will respond with some first hand knowledge. Good luck.
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:16 AM

door locks

Clean door lock switches by soaking them in white vinegar work them back & forth let soak .check wireing in door post they often break from opening &closing doors