75 delta 88 convertible - radio install question

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2017, 05:53 PM

75 delta 88 convertible - radio install question

Hello,

I have a 75 delta 88 convertible. When i purchased it, the radio was replaced with an old 2 **** radio (but they gave me the original - not sure if it works).

I purchased a kenwood 2 **** radio as a replacement (with RCA output, because I want to add amps), but then I changed my mind because most of the music I listen to is off my phone or streaming.

I plan to purchase a regular din radio, but have reservations about cutting my dash. Has anybody done this? I understand the wood panel removes, and there is another piece behind it that would need to be cut as well (and runs the whole length of the dash, if I want to take out to replace)

my options as I see it:

1. buy replacement dash, cut that one and put my radio in - save the original dash and radio if I sell the car (if the new owner wanted it). This just seems like a lot of work....

2. put original radio back in the dash (for looks), and put new radio in an under dash kit or glove box.

3. use the 2 **** kenwood that I bought but lose streaming ability (least preferred option)

Am I being too crazy about cutting the dash? the car is almost 100% original, but certainly not a show car/trailer queen, but maybe 1 day if I sell it, it will make a difference to somebody if the dash has been cut. I'm sure a time will come where parts are not so readily available..

Those modern 2 **** replacements with bluetooth/RCA's that are sold have horrible reviews, so I don't want to go that route.

Any opinions?
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:29 AM

You got try option 4: get the original radio rebuild to new specs how you want it. I bought a Retrosound myself but I mostly use USB, however the option to scroll through the folders already doesn't work anymore and the radio is crappy..
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:36 AM

Don't cut the dash on your car to install a radio. Here's how I installed a DIN radio in my 71 98:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html

Plus, there are other threads with some good info on various radio options. Check it out!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html