'66 Wonderbar AMFM problem

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2023, 06:41 AM

'66 Wonderbar AMFM problem

Good day all, just looking for a little advice on my '66 Delco Wonderbar am/fm radio. The radio itself works fine but when you press the wonderbar button, you hear a click, the radio cuts out, and you have to turn it off and back on again to get it working again. Any suggestions? It was working last time I used it (the seek that is).

I popped the top off and watched the mechanism. When you press the Wonderbar, the little tab that goes into the tuner transmisson pulls out like it's supposed to but the transmission doesn't start up. The wonderbar was working recently but it slowly started to fail and now it's not doing anything. I made a little video of it acting up, shown below.

Old December 20th, 2023, 06:59 AM

Since you've already disassembled the radio you've gone beyond the troubleshooting steps detailed in the factory manual. You need a Wonderbar/AC Delco manual to fix your radio.

Here's a thread in which I inquired about radio troubleshooting guides for the radio in my 71 Oldsmobile.
​​​​​​
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...manual-170429/

If you don't plan on repairing and tuning the radio to the level I mentioned in the other thread, I suggest reassembling it and sending it out to be repaired.
Old December 20th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Since you've already disassembled the radio you've gone beyond the troubleshooting steps detailed in the factory manual. You need a Wonderbar/AC Delco manual to fix your radio.

Here's a thread in which I inquired about radio troubleshooting guides for the radio in my 71 Oldsmobile.
​​​​​​
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...manual-170429/

If you don't plan on repairing and tuning the radio to the level I mentioned in the other thread, I suggest reassembling it and sending it out to be repaired.
I don't know if I would call popping the top off the radio as "disassembled" .

The radio works great, other than the seek function so I'm thinking it's probably not worth digging too deep. Just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this.

I do have the service manual for it though.