66 Cutlass Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2024, 09:24 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

66 Cutlass Wiring Harness

I'm kicking around the idea of completely re-wiring my 66 Cutlass since I'm taking the body off for a repaint and chassis overhaul, but it seems that Painless, American Auto wire, etc do not make a cutlass specific harness for 66. Wiring isn't exactly my area of expertise, so I want to make it as easy as possible and I'm wondering if I should get a universal harness or maybe get a Chevelle harness and modify it? I just don't want to create any more work than necessary.

Thanks!
Old January 31st, 2024, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is there some specific problem with the original harness? The reality is that the "easy as possible" way to do this is to use the original harness. It's a lot easier to replace a few individual wires than to make a painful, one-size-fits-none harness work.
Old January 31st, 2024, 10:53 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is there some specific problem with the original harness? The reality is that the "easy as possible" way to do this is to use the original harness. It's a lot easier to replace a few individual wires than to make a painful, one-size-fits-none harness work.
It's had a radio molestation, tail light wires shorting out, fuel sender wire broken, etc. While I'm no wiring expert I have messed with it in a quite a few 50-70 year old vehicles and I just know how brittle the wire insulation tends to get. A lot of hidden problems turned a simple engine swap into a frame off overhaul so I just thought while it's apart would be the time to just squash any existing and potential wiring issues.
Old January 31st, 2024, 11:14 AM
Oldsdruid

First put the Summit catalog down.

Then go with a specialty reproduction wiring company like Lectric Limited, Narragansett or YNZ. You'll be far happier with the product and the installation.