79 Cutlass Supreme Brougham T Top Diesel 5 speed Mojave interior. How rare?

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2016, 10:35 AM

Good point Olds64, however, I do not want to chance waiting to buy the car from his estate.. Although he is 85, he looks strong and healthy so I could be waiting for years, plus, I don't want to get the car that way, just because he kicks the bucket. He is a jerk but I don't wish anything to happen to him. Second, there is the chance that nobody will remember to call me about the car anyway and his estate will just sell it on me. Although I think 10g is pushing it for this car, it really could be a one of a kind so I took him up on his offer, called him and said I was ready to come over with the cash. How did he respond? He said "listen, I did not promise you the car for 10k, I said I would think about it so don't come over" With that said, he hung up. This guy is a jackass. He is playing with me. He must have nothing better to do and he enjoys having some power over another person with his treasure by driving others up the wall.

Last edited by Herbie; December 17th, 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Where's the car located, in Miami or in NY? Also, key in on that interior, if any of it has turned a purplish color it's been over-exposed to the sun. And you will NEVER find replacement material. I have a 79 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with the black Madison Velour interior and fortunately mine was stored indoors for may of its years so the seats are not faded. They get really foul looking when they fade. The Mohave is a similar black fabric, the same on the sides of the pillow cushions which really get bad. And as that's a t-top car, be really careful.

A five Speed Diesel though, man I'd run for the hills on that or be ready to swap it with an F code 260 motor (gas), as that transmission probably won't handle much more than that.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; January 16th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM

for that car at 10 G's i better be able to drive it to nationals and win its class.
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:57 PM

I'd say go on over with the cash anyway
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie
This guy is a jackass. He is playing with me. He must have nothing better to do and he enjoys having some power over another person with his treasure by driving others up the wall.
You need to put dog poop in a bag, set it on his door step, light it on fire, ring his door bell and run. What a geezer!
Old January 17th, 2017, 06:49 AM

LOL, I haven't seen that one in a while. Now I'd say go over with $11,000 and make his day. And leave with the car. Of course I do have a biased opinion (being the 78-80 Cutlass advisor for the National Club) and I really do think this is something really special here. I agree 100% with the others that this is a low demand, not-very-popular car. But to someone like me it's found gold. I can't get enough of these cars, and this is a RARE one.
Old January 17th, 2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Where's the car located, in Miami or in NY? Also, key in on that interior, if any of it has turned a purplish color it's been over-exposed to the sun. And you will NEVER find replacement material. I have a 79 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with the black Madison Velour interior and fortunately mine was stored indoors for may of its years so the seats are not faded. They get really foul looking when they fade. The Mohave is a similar black fabric, the same on the sides of the pillow cushions which really get bad. And as that's a t-top car, be really careful.

A five Speed Diesel though, man I'd run for the hills on that or be ready to swap it with an F code 260 motor (gas), as that transmission probably won't handle much more than that.
Hi there.. Yes, I know all about the black cloth on these cars turning purple from the sun. This car is in PA, it's been in the old fart's garage, the interior is still black and fresh. As far as swapping the 260 diesel for a gas, you are missing the point on why this car is so rare and why I want to buy it. I can say, I am almost 100% sure, this is the only 79 260 diesel 5 speed mojave brougham t top cutlass left in the world. To chop up this car would be a sin. I would also say that I am pretty sure there are less than 20 260 diesels left, maybe less. I have never even seen one in person. Several people claimed to have a 260 diesel but after we looked into it, turned out the 260s were exchanged for the 350 diesels. They only made the 260 diesel for 79 and by the time most were exploding within the next few years, the 350 diesel was the only engine available for an exchange. The 260 diesels are almost all gone. I would like to hear from other 260 diesel owners who still have their original engine in their car. As for the old fart, he has me pinned in his corner. No new updates. He won't sell it to me, even at 10g. To me, the car is worth the money, maybe not to others. I still have and enjoy my super rare optioned out 80 Cutlass Supreme Brougham diesel but this 79 would make a great sister car to my 80. I would also like to hear from any Cutlass owners who have a loaded to the max Cutlass. My 80 has everything from leather, cornering lamps, fiber optics and even twin power seats. This is the first Cutlass I have ever seen with twin power seats.

Last edited by Herbie; January 17th, 2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:55 AM
delete

$10K is waaaay out of the $$ for that car. To each their own & if you have to have it go get it but know that you are def overpaying for it.
If you love that body style put the $$ towards the nicest H/O in your price range & have a chance for some upside.
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
$10K is waaaay out of the $$ for that car. To each their own & if you have to have it go get it but know that you are def overpaying for it.
If you love that body style put the $$ towards the nicest H/O in your price range & have a chance for some upside.
Nope, 10k is not out of line for this car. We will not find another original 260 diesel t top 5 speed Cutlass Supreme Brougham with the mojave interior ever. It's one of the rarest, if not, the rarest Cutlass to be found. As for finding a H/O in this body style instead, understand, it's not that I must have this bodystyle, it's the fact of what this car is. You can see 10 H/Os of this era at a carshow, how many diesel 5 speeds are we going to find. None.
Old January 18th, 2017, 08:52 AM

Right on.
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:18 AM

You can see 10 H/Os of this era at a carshow, how many diesel 5 speeds are we going to find. None.

This is kind of the philosophy on why I keep my 77 Supreme Brougham sedan. I'm always the only one at any show! Then again, the same is true for the 73 442...lol.

I hope you can find a way to get a hold of the car! Good luck!
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:12 AM

There are 3 prices/values to every car:

* Market Value
* What someone is willing to pay
* What you are willing to pay

It's that simple.
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:36 AM

You are right BlueCalais. I called the old guy again last night.. One way or another, I have to make peace with this.. I took my offer up to 11g. He started out a little kinder by saying, "look mister, I can see you are interested but I don't want you to keep wasting your time and keep your hopes up but I really don't think it's going to happen and I have your number in my book." With that, he said, thanks for the call and as usual, hung up again on me. I almost wanted to say to please put my phone number in the glovebox of the car so someone can contact me later but I figured that would really **** him off. Again, the guy is 85 but he could make 100, who knows? I don't want the car that way, I would like to have him know I will care for it until I am 100. In all my years of car buying, I have never, ever been in a spot like this. I look online in my limited spare time for any information on 260 5 speed diesels and can't find much of anything. Geez, does anyone have one or know of one? Maybe the old fart knows how to use a computer and is reading this now, laughing at me. I just want the %$#@!^&* car.... I have to come up with another idea to win him over. Money does not seem to do it for him.

Last edited by Herbie; January 19th, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Unfortunately, looks like this gig might be toast. However, there is a possible alternative to this rare bird. Just sent you a P.M.
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

* Market Value

It's that simple.
The third one is the only one that matters if you are the buyer. The second one is the only one that matters if you are the seller. "Market value" is impossible to determine for a car like this and is irrelevant. Frankly, I wouldn't pay $10 for this car, let alone $10K, but then I've waaaaay overspent on other cars. If you have the cash, do what makes you happy. If you DO buy it, just don't kid yourself that you'll ever find a buyer who feels the same way about it.
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Understood Joe. Point well taken. It's not about making money with this car, I just want it for myself. I'm sure there are many cars out there that I would not want for free that others are pulling out the cash for. I like oddball cars. The value is not as important to me. I collect my cars for great pleasure, not for profit. Thanks for the tips. I have to get back to work now and get this car off my mind for a while. It's just a car so I'm not going to let it overload my mind. There are more important things to take care of. Everyone have a great day!
Old February 18th, 2017, 06:40 AM

Here is something Pontiac offered around the same time. Not as insane as Mojave, however, the pinstripe affect was everywhere on this interior including the headliner. They called it the Valencia package offered on the 77 and 78 Bonneville Brougham. Did you hear the story about the family who went to see a shrink but when the shrink found out they owned both a Mojave Cutlass and a Valencia Pontiac, his treatment was to take two aspirin and dump the two cars for a car will plain vinyl bench seats. I know, ha ha silly.
The interior in the 77 - 78 Pontiac Bonneville's had a standard headliner, (no stripes) and this interior was on a standard Bonneville, not a Brougham. The Brougham had the pillow top interior. My 1st new car was a 78 Bonneville with the red striped interior, as in your pictures, there were only 2 groups of people that had opinions on this interior, you either thought is was the ugliest thing or you really liked it, there was no one that just said "it's ok". I don't remember it being called "Valencia package" it might have been called that I just don't know.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:27 AM

I like oddball cars too. So I understand where your coming from. A couple months ago I came across a '75 4Dr Pontiac Gran Lemans with a 455 and a 4 speed. I'm sure that almost nobody else would give it a second look or use it as a donor but I thought it was the coolest car I've seen in a while. No budget for It though. If you end up getting it, enjoy it for what it is. That's all that matters.
Tom
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Hey Herbie, I think there are more oddball loving cars here than you think. I have a pair of Supremes but I also have a 1964 Chevy Impala convertible with a 409 in it. Impala owners see the "bench seat" and ask how can you spend on the the convertible top and 409 engine but not on the SS package that gave it bucket seat? I've had this car for 21 years now and can't ever see my car with bucket seats.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:17 AM
ph_ckstick1

Is he really a jerk? or just being rude because someone is not getting the message..

NOT FOR SALE
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:28 AM

Hello Herbie, I finally got around to installing the power seat in my black/silver 79 Cutlass on the drivers side. I decided to hide the switch under the seat rather than cut a hole into the side fabric. Someone might want to put this car back to bone stock someday, and slicing a hole there would be counterproductive to that end.

I love the power seat addition, I just pull the switch out from under the seat, adjust, and tuck it back under. It's working so well that I am considering doing the same for the passengers side, so my wife can reap the benefits as well from a set up like this.
Old June 28th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Administrator

* Market Value

It's that simple.
You forgot the most important one... The price the owner is willing to accept.
Old April 13th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Herbie, I currently own a 1979 Cutlass Calais, Caramel Brown/ Tan cloth, 260 diesel w/5speed & T-TOPS. It does need a fuel line, but it ran when parked 2 years ago. Contact me if interested, Thanks ,Whips5spd.
Old April 13th, 2022, 10:21 AM

Whips5spd, that's quite a rare car. Herbie hasn't been active since 2019. You might consider sending him a PM. Hopefully he still checks his email associated with his ClassicOlds account and will see the notification email of a received PM.

BTW, is the fuel line your car needs between the fuel pump and the tank or is it a high pressure fuel line between the injection pump and injector?

Old April 14th, 2022, 09:05 AM

It's between fuel tank and pump, just haven't gotten to it.