General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rare sight- V6 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Rare sight- V6 Diesel

I believe this is one of those things where they basically cut off 2 cylinders of the Olds 350 Diesel and ended up with a 260 V6 Diesel with some very familiar looking parts. Missed out on a chance to add a junker to the collection yrs ago because I did not have the $25 for the scrap price.

Not something you see every day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-4-3L-V6...579f1d&vxp=mtr
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
I believe this is one of those things where they basically cut off 2 cylinders of the Olds 350 Diesel and ended up with a 260 V6 Diesel with some very familiar looking parts. Missed out on a chance to add a junker to the collection yrs ago because I did not have the $25 for the scrap price.

Not something you see every day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-4-3L-V6...579f1d&vxp=mtr
He's been trying to sell that thing on ebay for MONTHS. The price hasn't budged either, so, more power to him.

Of course, the V6 diesel has ONE redeeming social value - it is the source of the ONLY reverse rotation water pump that fits an Olds V8. Instead of wasting substantial money on the March psudo-serpentine systems, get one of these water pumps and build a real one.

I've only ever seen two V6 diesels in the wild, both in RWD G-body Cutlii. One was at the Nationals in Seven Springs and the other was at our club's annual All-GM show a couple of years ago.
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM

I (when I was I in retail) ordered and sold a Cutlass Ciera (FWD) diesel. The fellow lived out of state and did a fair amount of driving. I remember seeing him from time to time in the service lane and then I got out of retail and into wholesale (for the same dealership) and never saw the car again. It was the only Ciera diesel that I know of, both in the dealership and at the auctions for the past 23 years.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM

I had one of those for a number of years. Mine was in an '82 Supreme (RWD). I bought it in '85 with like 65k highway miles on it. Got it cheap due to the diesel, but it was perfect for what I wanted (an emissions test exempt vehicle I could drop in a 454 cid DX block gas build). I drove it with the diesel (in Wisconsin, year round) for about 2 years until I pulled it off the road for the new drive train. I got 25+ mpg with it and didn't have any serious issues with the original drive train except for the injection system leaking down towards the end once turned off. I was contemplating using the serpentine system on my gas build, but never got quite that far...