Wood grain change in dash 71 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I'm replacing the wood grain going across the dash and I'm to the point where the 'cutlass supreme' emblem is on the glove compartment. Does this emblem just pop off? I can't see anywhere inside the glove compartment where it would be attached in other ways...
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Lansing built

question

see pdf pg 60 of 64
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...to_Sec_1-3.pdf this is off the 1970 assembly manual but should be the same for 71?

Pat
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The nut on the backside is recessed. You have to take the glove box door off the hinge to see the second recessed hole. It's not a hard job, I did this with my car too.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:08 AM

After taking the glove box door off, it was smooth getting the decal off! I've moved to replacing the wood grain on the main area of the dash now and was wondering if there was an easier method for removing the wiper switch? Once I have the two bolts out behind the dash that's holding the switch on, should it remove easily? Does the T shaped part of the switch pull off?

Thanks for all the help!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM

Are you referring to the **** that says "Wiper"? There is an allen head set screw on the side of the **** that must be backed off. The **** then comes off and the switch can be removed. You've done the hard part. Hope that's what you meant about the T shaped part. They use the same system on the fan and heater/A/C *****.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Are you referring to the **** that says "Wiper"? There is an allen head set screw on the side of the **** that must be backed off. The **** then comes off and the switch can be removed. You've done the hard part. Hope that's what you meant about the T shaped part. They use the same system on the fan and heater/A/C *****.
Brian gives you very good advice on removing the head of the switch. Don't lose the head or the allen screw (just undo the screw enough to let the head come off). You will also have to take off the convertible 'up/down' dash switch. But that's about it. Do you need a pic of the back of the dash to help out? Here is info from the 71 Assembly Manual http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...12__Part-1.pdf I don't know what other options your car has on the dash, but this section covers them pretty nicely. I like the details you can get if if you increase the magnification of the images