I wanna lower my 87 cutlass supreme brougham

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM

I wanna lower my 87 cutlass supreme brougham

So I was thinking about heating the coils.. bad bad idea..

so what is the next easiest.. but safe way to do this.. i want it low.. like in the picture.. thanks guys

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2lowyo5.jpg
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM

you may be able to pick up some lowering springs at the local parts place or on ebay. but ill warn you now, the ride is gonna suck!, it will be bumpy as crap to the point it gets annoying..plus you run the risk of hitting speedbumps and raised manhole covers.. what ever you choose "ye have been warned"
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM

jus cut the coils its no big deal...i did it to my 82 cutlass and my 81 grandprix.I will admit the ride isnt as soft but who cares thats part of lowriding.
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM

As strange as it may sound, i used 1" lowering springs from a 4.3L S-10 on my '82 Calais. I didnt have any internal coil compressors and the stock springs i had bought off ebay just didnt compress far enough. These had almost the same angle in the springs as the stock ones, and fit in just great. The car just looked mean going down the road. And it rode pretty nice as well, I drove the car comfortably for 2 years after doing this before selling it.
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I just looked at the picture...these springs will give you near the look you want in the front...as for the back, probably lowering springs for the cutlass unless you dont have the money. I'd still suggest looking into the S-10 springs. My next cutlass is going to get those 1st thing.
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM

If you want it THAT low, bag it. Spring only give you 2 inches at the most.

I put Eibachs on my Alero, and I will be putting them on the Delta soon
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM

heres mine with the coils cut
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I'm not into the lowering thing. From what I hear bags are one of the best ways to lower. For geomitry purposes, the front spindle is limited on how low you can go and still function properly even with bags. Bags are very expensive when you take into consideration all the parts required to do the job correctly.

One of the cheaper way's to go, without a bind would be to use, drop spindles for an S10 and some circle track rear pigtail springs. I specify pigtail because that's what stock fit rear springs are referred to for a proper fit without modification, and are available in a variety of heights, from 10-14 inches. I believe factory rear springs are 16" free height. The pigtail springs are like 50 each from speedwaymotors.com or daymotorsports.com . I don't know what the spring rate you would want, maybe between 125-175 to ensure a quality ride. Ask a salesrep-tech for advice.
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:48 AM

hillbilly way

I left the v6 spings in mine and threw a rearend in the trunk i will send u a pic as soon as i get one up.