A/c issues on a 73 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2014, 07:38 PM

A/c issues on a 73 Cutlass Supreme

Got a "new to me" 73 Cutlass Supreme..very vanilla car..original...great car but have a question about the air conditioning...it worked very well a year ago but has not been used since last fall..according to the prior owner..and I got no reason to question him....When I move the lever to a/c on the dash I get a squeal under the hood and no cooling..further anywhere I move the lever (heat, a/c, vent, defrost, bi level, etc)..I get a squeal under the hood...when I move the lever back to off...no squeal...it was 90 here today so couldn't really tell if when I went to heat I was actually getting heat...the fan speed lever is on high..moving it does not decrease the air flow..it just stays constant on what I'd consider high....belts look almost new...any thoughts where I might start looking? any thoughts really appreciated.
opos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
030.JPG (68.2 KB, 28 views)
o51.JPG (66.8 KB, 31 views)
o55.JPG (65.6 KB, 40 views)
o56.JPG (67.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by opos; April 7th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM

First guess is the compressor's bad (locks up when clutch engages), causing AC belt to slip.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. Sounds like a seized compressor.

Time to hit the junkyards...

- Eric
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:16 PM

That ac belt looks horrible pic #3, i'd bet it's loose also.Nick
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Administrator

x2 on the belt looking really worn, it may be slipping. If it's not the belt, I'm going to x3 on a locked up compressor.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by nsnarsk65cutlass
That ac belt looks horrible pic #3, i'd bet it's loose also.Nick
Ooooh. Really good eyes.

See if you can turn the compressor easily by hand, or if it's really tough, or locked up solid.

- Eric
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ooooh. Really good eyes.

See if you can turn the compressor easily by hand, or if it's really tough, or locked up solid.

- Eric
Not really i have to put things further away to see things clearly anymore,but yes turn the compressor by hand if it turns smoothly and no binding replace the belt.Nick

Last edited by nsnarsk65cutlass; April 8th, 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:43 PM

compressor clutches are going if they werelocked up it wouldnt spin at all look down at the compressor u see meal filings all over the place also replace you orfice tube and condenser when air is on fan should be spinning all the time clutch should be locked on the fan
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws
compressor clutches are going if they werelocked up it wouldnt spin at all look down at the compressor u see meal filings all over the place also replace you orfice tube and condenser when air is on fan should be spinning all the time clutch should be locked on the fan
If the compressor were seized, it wouldn't spin at all, so the belt would slip on the pulleys, causing it to squeal.

Metal filings where? On the outside of the compressor? Why? Because the clutch is slipping?
Please elaborate.

The Frigidaire A/C system with the POA valve has no orifice tube.

Why do you say he should replace his condenser?

What sort of a link do you believe exists between the compressor and the fan?

What is it that you believe causes the fan clutch to lock?

I am prepared to believe that you have a vague idea of what you're talking about if you can explain it in prose that does not resemble the ramblings of a homeless crackhead.

- Eric
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM

I'll get into it a bit more today...just seems strange that the squeal is not just involved with the a/c being selected on the control...anything but "off" causes the squeal (heat, vent, bilevel, etc).... and I got to try and figure why the fan speed control is not able to adjust fan speed...it simply is locked on high speed no matter where I put the control lever....got a feeling that is a separate problem from the squeal..

Last edited by opos; April 8th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are you sure you get the squeal on HEAT?

Check to see whether the clutch is engaging and the belt is slipping, and go from there.

- Eric
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Ok...got a look this morning before the heat sets in...it's going to be 90 today and an old guy like me with lung issues has to "hide out"...The A/C belt was pretty loose and is a bit frayed along one edge ..the compressor clutch spins freely and doesn't appear to have any grinding or make any noise when turning by hand..I tightened up the belt and a couple of things happened...first I got the A/C to start blowing cold so that's great..it might need service but seems at least to be working...second the constant squeal I had is now a "chirp, chirp" that starts after about 20 seconds after turning on the air and seems to get worse if I let it run...got a feeling it's the belt...before I pop for a new belt I think I'll get some belt dressing and see if that will quiet things for a period of time..if that works I'll get all new belts...the other belts are tight and look good but if I'm going to the trouble to replace one..I'll replace them all...

I would have sworn that the squeal was apparent at any setting other than off but after tightening the A/C belt the other settings don't seem to squeal...must be hearing things.

Where is a good on line place to order belts and get the right ones? We got the dumbest bunch of auto parts guys at the local store front place I've ever seen...too busy talking hot rod talk and not able to read the catalogs ...

Many thanks to all that weighed in...Just working my way through a new to me car...next is full service, etc..thanks again

opos

Last edited by opos; April 8th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Get a helper and watch the compressor when someone turns on the AC for the first time after starting the car. The AC clutch should engage and the slip will be obvious (squealing, smoking, may even throw the belt) if the compressor is locked up. Might be why that belt looks so bad as others have noticed.

The AC compressor engages when you select AC or Defrost and pretty sure the clutch stays engaged until you shut off the engine which may explain why you are getting the squeal on other settings. Assuming it is the compressor, you should not get the squeal if you select vent or heat without going to AC or Defrost first.

If it is locked up, I would make sure the system is holding pressure and otherwise in good shape before replacing the compressor.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good news, Opos.

You're in luck if it was just the belt.

As for mail order, RockAuto seems to be the most highly recommended these days, though all of the major parts stores have web sites where you can look up all of your part numbers, so you can walk in with them and know you're getting the right parts.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Good news, Opos.

You're in luck if it was just the belt.

As for mail order, RockAuto seems to be the most highly recommended these days, though all of the major parts stores have web sites where you can look up all of your part numbers, so you can walk in with them and know you're getting the right parts.

- Eric
Just a final report on things...new belts solved the problem..(replaced all 3 while things were apart)..the A/C belt that was on the car was the wrong belt..too narrow and was riding too deep in the sheave and slipping...tightening things eased the squeal but it kept "chirping"...the new belt made things quiet as can be...charged the system with the new refrigerant and it blows nice and cold...about done with the "nits"...got to replace the vac hoses..they are original and very hard and brittle but none leaking...just going to work through them one at a time and prevent any future vac leaks. Darn I like this car!!
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Well done. The local parts store is a good source for most things under the hood.
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well done. The local parts store is a good source for most things under the hood.

I agree but getting some kid that would rather be texting and playing games on the phone is the issue around here..found the parts at one of the parts stores where a bunch of old guys that nobody else will hire work...and no problem..won't go back to the local O Reilly's..