64 Cutlass Aluminum Radiator Again

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

64 Cutlass Aluminum Radiator Again

I have a '64 Cutlass, the dreaded "one year only" for water pump and radiator.
I tried to buy an aluminum radiator for it a while back, when I got it I discovered that
every single ad for a '64 Cutlass radiator (an there are a bunch of them) is wrong,
the ports that the hoses go into are on the opposite side. ( top is on the passenger side and bottom is on driver side on the car.)

So I have decided to try again. I found one for a 60-64 Buick that has the hoses correct but according to the measurements it is 1 3/4" higher than mine.(don't know if that would matter)
I'm not sure how wide the openings where the hoses go on mine but this one is 1 3/4"

https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion+Cool...QaAj2KEALw_wcB

So if anyone knows where I can get a correct aluminum radiator (I am already expecting to pay more) for my car or has any other info. please set me know.
Old May 14th, 2022, 06:53 PM

I bought the radiator for my 67 from this ebay seller. Measure EVERYTHING on your existing rad and then look through the offerings in the store. Find one that matches your measurements and there you go. The ebay listings have all measurements from tank size, core size, and even inlet/outlet size. They have fully welded tank rads as well as stamped tanks that look like the factory ones. Once you find the correct size, you can select 2, 3, or 4 row cooling, with or without trans cooler. Very decent prices as well.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...tlass&_sacat=0
Here is the one I bought.
Old May 15th, 2022, 03:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

US Radiator sells correct brass ones for both A/C and non-A/C applications. They bolt in. Just get one of those.
Old May 15th, 2022, 06:14 AM
Crusin in my 6-4

Thanks for the info. I want to get an aluminum radiator because I have tried everything else to get the car to run cooler.
But on Friday when it was 90 degrees out and I had to drive in traffic it was up to 210. I was at my local friday night classic car
meetup on Friday and a couple of people I talked to who had them swore by them. I need to get it running cooler. There is a long hot L.A. summer
right around the corner.
Old May 15th, 2022, 09:22 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

I am seeing this radiator on the ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224543913267

I have to check the measurements more closely but on this one the upper radiator goes to the opposite side of mine. (mine is on the right the one in the posting is on the left) Here is a pic of my set up. (below)
I'm not sure if this is even the original radiator. Does anyone think I can get a hose that will attach to the opposite side? Doesn't seem to be much in the way.
Here is an upper hose from ebay

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...m-385972/62327

Old May 16th, 2022, 05:50 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I had my 54 Super 88 it ran hot after I put AC in it. I spent $600 having the original radiator re-cored to a 3 core. It was money wasted. I studied radiators and studied radiators. The inlet was in the middle and the outlet was on the drivers side. I wound up buying an aluminum radiator for a 68 Dodge. The width was perfect and it had the flanges on each side to mount it. It was a little shorter so I made an air dam to keep air from going under the radiator. I had to use a bushing in the lower hose since it was smaller that the hose on the Olds. Problem solved. So what I am saying is to study radiators for other brands. You might find one that works.