1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM

1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible

Hello everybody;

I'm Francis, and i'm French.
In october 2007 I bought a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible.

This car was a project restoration started by the previous owner, but he never finish the car.
He bought a lot of new parts (new interior from carpet to top, new front bumper, many news body trims and moldings, all weatherstrips, news lights end headlights, new dashboard, etc), make a new paint, and make some bad works too...

The engine is entirely in parts. The previous owner tell me some valves are twisted. I have not checked, because I have another idea : in a corner of my garage slept an 1998 LT1 with automatic transmission, and with only 48 000 miles.

I don't like the color, so I decided to make a serious restoration.
I started this restoration only in July 2008, because before I need to make a new garage at my new home.
At this day, the body is off of the frame, all body parts are at a friend body-painter, and the frame is ready to be dismantled for sand blasting and painting.
I'm ready to put the body on the rotisserie, but I have a litlle at the rear : I don't know where to take the body.

For the color I planified a blue metallic.
The interior is white, but I don't be sure to put this, I don't like too much white interiors.
For the frame I planified to lower a little, to put front and rear 1998 Camaro calipers (it's better that drums !), to put a bigger sway bars, and of course to replace all bushings.
For the rear axle I have a posi-traction (in a other corner of my garage ;-).
For the wheels, I think I'll choose Torq Thrust II in 17"".

This is a small summary of my project.
I inform you of progress.
And I hope my english speaking is not to bad for to be understood :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
241f_1.JPG (26.3 KB, 61 views)
Img_2250s.jpg (55.9 KB, 53 views)
IMG_2273s.jpg (65.3 KB, 61 views)
IMG_2271s.jpg (58.7 KB, 52 views)
IMG_2274s.jpg (84.5 KB, 55 views)
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Here some pics of the bad works

Img_2311s.jpg is a nice job, but without finitions !
No need to paint, with fender in place nobody can see :-/

No comment for IMG_2310s.jpg
Attached Images
Img_2311s.jpg (45.4 KB, 37 views)
IMG_2310s.jpg (38.1 KB, 38 views)
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Francis,

Your English is fine and your restoration skills are impressive. Unfortunately you won't find much support in this forum for swapping a Chevy motor into an Olds...

I'm curious where in France you're located. My wife and I have property in La Roque sur Ceze.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:40 AM

swapping a Chevy motor into an Olds...
OH MAN! I can't believe someone mentioned the "C" word, and it was Joe of all people!

BTW, welcome to the site. Your English is good! It must be awsome to own an Oldsmobile in Europe. Of course, it would suck putting gasoline in it since your prices are so high. I remember it was over $7.00 / gallon in 2002 when I was in Germany.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM
69CuttyS

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately you won't find much support in this forum for swapping a Chevy motor into an Olds...
Not kosher to be sure, but I'm betting that our friend's Olds engine options are limited in the old country!
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
car nut farmer

Hello, nice looking project and nice garage. TRY and find an Olds motor, you'll be happier.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Past Administrator

Francis, don't forget to use a good undercoating on all body and frame parts, even if they do not show. There a some good products out there that provide good durability and corrosion resistance. I have used POR products before and like them. They have a good paint that has lots of solid pigments in it for color and it is quite durable. I would highly recommend it. I think the Chassis Coat Black for frame/undercarriage work would be good for you. And it isn't your fault if you don't have a good Oldsmobile power plant to use. Go ahead with the Chevy mill. You can always have a future goal of a nice 455 transplant later.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
car guy

Welcome some of those pictures look familiar Although I would'nt do it myself I am not married to Olds so if you want to put an LT1 thats fine with me.

Courious as to what an LT1 was in it 98. In the states 97 was the last year for the LT1. Also you say using 98 fbody brakes so I assume you have a whole donor car. Are thay the same as 98 brakes here in the states or are they a year behind like the motor is. There is a big difference in 97 and 98 brakes in the ones in the states.

The LS1 style brakes is not just a bolt in deal I can help you there if you are not sure how. If its LT1 style brakes I'm not quite sure what need to be done to make it work. You can check out my build thread and see what I am up to in my build.

Last edited by gearheads78; August 28th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The LT-1 is a great engine. I have one in my 94 Corvette and it is incredibly smooth with a good power band. I would not put it in my 72 Cutlass convertible but I am not in your situation. I will catch heck with the purist and I do love my Oldsmobile but it is your car and you are the only one you really have to satisfy. Good luck with you car.
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Hello !

Thank you everybody for the welcome.

Unfortunately you won't find much support in this forum for swapping a Chevy motor into an Olds...

I'm curious where in France you're located.
I live at the German border.

Originally Posted by Olds64
Of course, it would suck putting gasoline in it since your prices are so high. I remember it was over $7.00 / gallon in 2002 when I was in Germany.
Is one of the reasons for my choice for a modern engine.
Today it's $8.00/gallon

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
Not kosher to be sure, but I'm betting that our friend's Olds engine options are limited in the old country!
Yes, here it's not always easy to find the good parts.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Courious as to what an LT1 was in it 98. In the states 97 was the last year for the LT1.
You're right !
In France the real year of the car is not always the same year on the French title.

So, now the body is on the rotisserie.

I don't found bad surprises.
I will try to finish the below of the car before end October.
After I can send the body at a friend for make a new paint with a real professionnal preparation (he have a body and paint shop).
In the meantime I would work on the chassis.

For the engine, now I have some doubts about my choice
I have 2 350 Oldsmobile engine, I will check the number parts and the condition of this 2 engines.
Before to take a decision for the engine I have a lot of works, it let me time to think about it.

Francis
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:22 AM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by Francis
Hello !

Thank you everybody for the welcome.

I live at the German border.

Is one of the reasons for my choice for a modern engine.
Today it's $8.00/gallon

Yes, here it's not always easy to find the good parts.

You're right !
In France the real year of the car is not always the same year on the French title.

So, now the body is on the rotisserie.

I don't found bad surprises.
I will try to finish the below of the car before end October.
After I can send the body at a friend for make a new paint with a real professionnal preparation (he have a body and paint shop).
In the meantime I would work on the chassis.

For the engine, now I have some doubts about my choice
I have 2 350 Oldsmobile engine, I will check the number parts and the condition of this 2 engines.
Before to take a decision for the engine I have a lot of works, it let me time to think about it.

Francis
Francis,
Looks like you have a good start on your project. With some additions of some good shocks, rear sway bar (from 442) and quick ratio steering box your car will drive nicely on those French country roads. I think one of your 350 Olds engines would be a fine choice with some updates. Good luck with your project.
Regards,

Fred