The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Obligatory first post

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Obligatory first post

Hello everyone. It looks like we have to post here before being able to post anywhere else, so this is my obligatory post. I live in Niagara Falls Canada and just unloaded my 1970 Cutlass ragtop that had degraded to parts car status, and am using the money to buy a nice clean California 1973 Custom Cruiser. I hope to learn from the experts here and possibly offer my poor backyard mechanic advice as well.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Welcome
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM

i offer my backyard mechanic advice as well. i just try not to steer someone in the wrong direction. i love to help when i can. welcome and i am pretty new here also. i found that i don't give to much advice for engine performance because these guys will run circles around me. i can rebuild a stocker but to hop ane up these guys know there stuff.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Here's the obligitory "welcome to the site" 73 Custom cruiser, runnin' with the big boys now
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i offer my backyard mechanic advice as well. i just try not to steer someone in the wrong direction. i love to help when i can. welcome and i am pretty new here also. i found that i don't give to much advice for engine performance because these guys will run circles around me. i can rebuild a stocker but to hop ane up these guys know there stuff.
Most of my backyard stuff may get you unstuck in a pinch, but when an expert sees it, they'll either laugh or react in shock at how someone would drive something so unsafe.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
olds..older..oldest

CANADIAN TAKEOVER

Welcome to the site! At the rate Canucks are joining,we may have to form a "splinter" group for those of us who use snowtires half the year! As a doctor, I for one will welcome your backyard mechanic's input, as I have all the mechanical skills of a mentally challenged aardvark.From Barrie, derek
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Smile Get a grip

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Welcome to the site! At the rate Canucks are joining,we may have to form a "splinter" group for those of us who use snowtires half the year! As a doctor, I for one will welcome your backyard mechanic's input, as I have all the mechanical skills of a mentally challenged aardvark.From Barrie, derek
You use snow tires?? where's the challenge in that!! I always take extra shorts with me when I race down the 400 Rick in the Swamp
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Another Canuk here as well and I have been working on my 69-98 convertible. The car is really solid as it came from saskatoon. The front end and engine bay were never cleaned up so I have been breaking it down and fixing , replacing , painting then putting it back together soon I hope. This will only see nice weather , no snow tires for her anymore. No more salty roads not that it saw any out in saskatchewan which may explain why most everything is fixable. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfman98/
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

N-i-a-g-a-r-a F-a-l-l-s

Slowly I turn, step by step

OOOOOOOOOOOOPS I'm showing my age when I start remembering Abbot and Costello routines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBbkGmt9mk
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM

Well "Disco Dave" is the name showing your age and do you keep a disco ball in your living room, maybe both Welcome to the site. Great place with a lot of smart Olds guys to help you out were needed
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM

WELCOME, DISCO DAVE! Sort of dates me, too. I remember those 3 piece casual suits with tons of "jewelry" & those high heeled/high soled dancing shoes. Still like Saturday Night Fever. However, like new stuff, too! Wife and I do the North Texas Push now; they call it the "****" (I think) on the East Coast. Go for it with the '73 Wagon, you'll never regret it, and they can be fixed up. Aron
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Originally Posted by citcapp
Well "Disco Dave" is the name showing your age and do you keep a disco ball in your living room, maybe both Welcome to the site. Great place with a lot of smart Olds guys to help you out were needed
Actually I was about 5-6 years old when the disco era was dying, so I'm probably not as old as you would think. However I did get the name for liking the Bee Gees.

I remember that Abbott and Costello bit as well, but Iassure you was not around for it's original run. Anyone remember the Abbott and Costello cartoons from the 60s? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY ABBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

N-i-a-g-a-r-a F-a-l-l-s

Slowly I turn, step by step

OOOOOOOOOOOOPS I'm showing my age when I start remembering Abbot and Costello routines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBbkGmt9mk
Before I forget (I'm old like Jamsbo), hi Dave, and welcome!

Now Jamesbo, I thought you totally lost it, because I remember that shtick from The Three Stooges, not Abbot and Costello!
But I looked it up to prove it to you and found that we're both lucid:
http://www.dlmweb.com/news69.html
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Hi

Welcome Disco Dave,
I'm old too. Know nothing about 442's. So you can say "I'm a virgin newbie" I'm trying to soak all the knowledge thats in here.
Joe, Jamesbo Just to name two very outstanding men who know their Olds. But listen to ALL post in here. You'll always learn something.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Smile "Mentally Challenged Aardvark"

I almost fell out of my chair with that one.
Brought to mind pictures of the old Friz Freleng Pink Panther cartoons--specifically those with the Ant and the Aardvark.
May have to toss one in the DVD player so I can laugh some more.
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Ah yes. Jackie Mason as the aardvark. What ever happened to that guy anyways?
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:26 AM

Smile Attire

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
WELCOME, DISCO DAVE! Sort of dates me, too. I remember those 3 piece casual suits with tons of "jewelry" & those high heeled/high soled dancing shoes. Still like Saturday Night Fever. However, like new stuff, too! Wife and I do the North Texas Push now; they call it the "****" (I think) on the East Coast. Go for it with the '73 Wagon, you'll never regret it, and they can be fixed up. Aron
I tried high heels once, but I kept cracking my head on doorways...and the jewelry gets caught in my fur...
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Dave.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Welcome. Custom Cruisers are awsome. Please post pics when you can.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Here's one from the Ebay ad for it. I bought it off of a demo derby board because everyone (including the seller) agreed it was too nice to demo.

Old April 16th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Thumbs up

nice wagon, not many of these left. I have derbied a few of these,not proud of it but they are the best for the sport
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
in love with a '71 98

Hey Dave,

My name is Bob and I am actually the son of the previous owner of your wagon. The man who you bought it from, bought it off my Dad. My Dad was in a pinch for cash so he sold the '73 CC to him, not knowing that he was a demo derby guy. My Dad and I were both very upset that we had to sell the CC, as we had both wanted one for such a long time. I had actually stumbled upon his listing for it on the demo website, and had been desperately trying to save up to buy it back, but being a college student, that didnt work out so well.

As much as I still miss the CC, it makes me feel very good to know that this car went into a loving home, and to an Olds lover, and not destroyed in some god forsaken demo.

It sure is a small world, seeing as how I found you on here. As soon as I saw your avatar pic, I knew that was my old CC! Take Care of the ol' boy, as he deserves some attention. If you would, please keep me, and all of us updated on the car, as it really means a lot to me. And if you'd ever find yourself thinking of selling, I'd love to know as well. We didn't own the CC for very long, but I have some history with it, and quite an interesting story...thwarting thieves who were hired by a third party who knew about the car to come flatbed it out of my Dad's office parking lot!

Glad you rescued him!

-Bob
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

The guy I bought it off of seems pretty decent. I know he deals in quite a few cars as he seems to be part of a towing company as well. I think he recognizes what's 'too good to smash' as he's been trying to sell it for quite a while, all the while buying other cars to wreck. I haven't gone to get the car yet but will in the next few weeks. It's a looooooooong drive to Chicago, and even a bigger pain in the neck to work with US customs when exporting a car, but once that's all done it will be added to my collection of big tanks that get driven a handful of times a year (also have a 72 lincoln and a 72 LTD convertible that I am fixing up). I'll go through the car with a camera when I get it home.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
in love with a '71 98

I'm sure it is quite a pain to export a car into Canada, but for this one, it will be worth it. It is the most solid CC you will ever see, and absolutely one worth making a great cruiser to enjoy and have fun with.

Here's to hoping that you get it home safe and sound, with the least amount of troubles possible (knock on wood!). And like I said, thanks again for rescuing the ol' boy. It makes me feel so much better to know that this great old wagon is going to someone who will be able to care for it. Can't wait to see pics of it once it gets to its new home!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

I finally connected the truck I was going to use to my trailer (which has the LTD on it) and it makes the back of the truck sit a little too low. With the wagon I would imagine it will sit lower, so I think I'm gonna spring for a Uhaul truck with a hitch and use that.

I definitely appreciate the fact that it's a solid car (especially after working on my rusty truck the past couple of weeks), which is the main reason I am willing to make the trip for it.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
is Fast Enough ...

nice ...
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

I made it home in one piece

I will post pics later in the week when I take it off the trailer. Suffice to say though that you should make sure you have a car that is north of 5000 pounds parked firmly as far front on the trailer as you can. I started off my journey with the car a little back to save the springs on the old truck and found it wagging the dog rather violently. I'm lucky it didn't end up on its side somewhere north of Chicago, because it came awfully close several times.