The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Not only can I turn wrenches on my '72 Supreme...

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2023, 05:28 PM

Not only can I turn wrenches on my '72 Supreme...

I can also dismantle a dryer down to parade rest

The belt was stretched so I'm replacing it, and while I'm at it, I figured I may as well replace the tensioner too.

Now let's just hope I can get it back together and it works

Old July 8th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Running On Empty

I replaced the motor in mine last fall.
Old July 8th, 2023, 06:21 PM

mine eats heating units
Old July 8th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Whirlpool. I know it well.

Consider getting replacement bearings for those 3 wheels on the back. When those go, it makes a noise you can hear across the house. If you don't replace 'em, at least clean & grease 'em. New bearings really is the right fix though.

Strongly suggest you clean it thoroughly with your shop vac or other device to get rid of every bit of lint inside the machine, the interior of the output pipe to your exhaust & all the way. Clothes will dry faster. You & your family will notice reduction in drying time. If you've never cleaned the output pipe to the outside of your house, this is a good time to learn how.

If you feel like it, pull the screen at the back and scrub it with steel wool just to be sure it doesn't transfer burnt clothing material onto other clothes. That's not critical.

Also be aware that the replacements from Whirlpool work fine, but have funky heat-sensitive (not mechanical) switches that drive the circuit board that drive the dryer. Not as good as what you've got, but your current machine will give up the ghost at some point.

Net net, you're getting toward the end of life of this machine, but a few spare parts can extend its life by a year to 24 months. If my experience is any guide.

Chris
Old July 8th, 2023, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
Whirlpool. I know it well.

Consider getting replacement bearings for those 3 wheels on the back. When those go, it makes a noise you can hear across the house. If you don't replace 'em, at least clean & grease 'em. New bearings really is the right fix though.

Strongly suggest you clean it thoroughly with your shop vac or other device to get rid of every bit of lint inside the machine, the interior of the output pipe to your exhaust & all the way. Clothes will dry faster. You & your family will notice reduction in drying time. If you've never cleaned the output pipe to the outside of your house, this is a good time to learn how.

If you feel like it, pull the screen at the back and scrub it with steel wool just to be sure it doesn't transfer burnt clothing material onto other clothes. That's not critical.

Also be aware that the replacements from Whirlpool work fine, but have funky heat-sensitive (not mechanical) switches that drive the circuit board that drive the dryer. Not as good as what you've got, but your current machine will give up the ghost at some point.

Net net, you're getting toward the end of life of this machine, but a few spare parts can extend its life by a year to 24 months. If my experience is any guide.

Chris
Thanks for the advice Chris. I put it all back together and it still drug the belt across the drum. We can live with that, but once it starts spinning, it makes a loud screeching noise. I got a kit with 4 rollers, a belt and a tensioner. When I had it apart, I checked all the rollers and they spun pretty freely with zero play on the shaft, so I didn't think I needed to replace them (guess maybe I should have). Should I back up and punt and replace those three in the back as you suggested?

Oh yeah, BTW, I did give it a good cleaning while I had it apart and found about 5 bucks in change while I was at it...guess I got paid for the job...lol.
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:34 PM

The screeching noise in my case was 1 of those rear rollers. It’s kind of like going through a carb - once you have it apart, replace the parts that wear and you’ll probably win.

If you have replacements, but them all in and, but before you do, clean the h*ll out of anything that might hold the rollers from spinning freely - in my case mostly girls long hair.

If you don’t have replacements, recommend you get them. I believe they’re the fix. But you might extend life a few months without them by cleaning & degreasing the rollers.

So yeah, probably back up and replace those rollers and I think you’ll be happy.

Chris
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:35 PM

Oh - an exacto knife can help you remove hair and lint. Grease may not be needed on the rollers, but that’s your call.
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:38 PM
Banned

Amen. I delivered and installed appliances for Sears for many years. Trained people over and over. Good for you getting into it and getting involved. They really are pretty simple when you break them down.
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:39 PM

On the related laundry washing machine, use Affresh tablets to clean it. Your front seal may be moldy, it’s typical and you can get replacements sent. It’s not too bad replacing them and you’ll be happy knowing your clothes aren’t being washed in mold.

If you decide to take it apart, the clean out drain is in the front. Bring a few towels and some tootbrushes to clean it out. If I remember right, there’s a filter in there which likes to retain laundry muck. Also the exhaust line for the washer is corrugated rubber which loves to retain washing muck.

If you _really_ get into it, remove and clean the muck out of the corrugations or replace the exhaust line.
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
mine eats heating units
x2

I just replaced the heating unit in our dryer. Momma says it's on year 14 now.
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:43 AM

The screeching noise in my case was 1 of those rear rollers. It’s kind of like going through a carb - once you have it apart, replace the parts that wear and you’ll probably win.

If you have replacements, but them all in and, but before you do, clean the h*ll out of anything that might hold the rollers from spinning freely - in my case mostly girls long hair.

If you don’t have replacements, recommend you get them. I believe they’re the fix. But you might extend life a few months without them by cleaning & degreasing the rollers.

So yeah, probably back up and replace those rollers and I think you’ll be happy.

Chris
I got 4 rollers with the kit, so my plan is to replace the two upper ones in the back and the two in the front. I'm also going to clean up the shafts and use white lithium grease. Is that a good idea?
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:45 AM

On the related laundry washing machine, use Affresh tablets to clean it. Your front seal may be moldy, it’s typical and you can get replacements sent. It’s not too bad replacing them and you’ll be happy knowing your clothes aren’t being washed in mold.

If you decide to take it apart, the clean out drain is in the front. Bring a few towels and some tootbrushes to clean it out. If I remember right, there’s a filter in there which likes to retain laundry muck. Also the exhaust line for the washer is corrugated rubber which loves to retain washing muck.

If you _really_ get into it, remove and clean the muck out of the corrugations or replace the exhaust line.
Our matching washer gave up the ghost a long time ago, so we got a top loader to replace it.

The vent hose is fairly new, but I am going to clean it out.
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Amen. I delivered and installed appliances for Sears for many years. Trained people over and over. Good for you getting into it and getting involved. They really are pretty simple when you break them down.
Yup...as my stepson says...if something went together, it has to come apart
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Lansing built

I put a timer in my Whirlpool dryer about 3 years ago and it was 3 when it went out! I worked for an appliance repair place many moons ago. Learned a lot. I fix my own stuff and my furnace also. My central air has went down 2 times in four years. I have contacts in HVAC and tell them what I think it is the problem is. I have been right both times but since I have them do the work the only charge $150 for parts. labor and trip charge.

Pat
Old July 9th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Your plan to clean, degrease, replace rollers should work just fine.
Old July 9th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Your plan to clean, degrease, replace rollers should work just fine.
And white lithium grease? Do I need to use that?
Old July 10th, 2023, 05:54 AM
Jeff

The screeching noise there before you dismantled? That should've been your clue as to the roller bearings needing replacement. What's ridiculous to me is that you can buy the kit like you did (I did, too) and save yourself a pile of cash vs buying all the parts separately. It was an insane price difference.

I've replaced those, the belt, sensors, fuse, and heating element (3 times) on my dryer. Oh, and resoldered the circuit board twice, then sprung for the replacement board. Once the boys move out of the house, the dryer will be replaced by a Speed Queen with the mechanical controls, and no more of this "wrinkle release" or "steam option" settings. More gizmos / features, higher chance of failure.

The bearings should already be lubed, but I don't recall if I greased them before installing or not.
Old July 10th, 2023, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
The screeching noise there before you dismantled? That should've been your clue as to the roller bearings needing replacement. What's ridiculous to me is that you can buy the kit like you did (I did, too) and save yourself a pile of cash vs buying all the parts separately. It was an insane price difference.

I've replaced those, the belt, sensors, fuse, and heating element (3 times) on my dryer. Oh, and resoldered the circuit board twice, then sprung for the replacement board. Once the boys move out of the house, the dryer will be replaced by a Speed Queen with the mechanical controls, and no more of this "wrinkle release" or "steam option" settings. More gizmos / features, higher chance of failure.

The bearings should already be lubed, but I don't recall if I greased them before installing or not.
I cleaned everything up and put it all back together and the rollers are good. Started it up and still heard the rattling noise, so I took it back apart and looked deeper into it. Upon further inspection, I discovered this...

Notice the cracks?...so I patched it up as best as I could until I get the new fan.

It's much quieter now, and I'll be replacing the fan when I get it.
Old July 10th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Bfg

I use a 25 ft. rope to dry my clothes, those gas dryers are destroying our planet!
Old July 11th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 72455
I cleaned everything up and put it all back together and the rollers are good. Started it up and still heard the rattling noise, so I took it back apart and looked deeper into it. Upon further inspection, I discovered this...

Notice the cracks?...so I patched it up as best as I could until I get the new fan.

It's much quieter now, and I'll be replacing the fan when I get it.
Of course it was something that you didn't expect to replace. That sounds like my luck. I did learn the first time my dryer went down to immediately tear into it and figure out what was going on. Laundry piles up quickly when you have a family, and Mama Bear doesn't like going to the laundromat.
Old July 11th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Of course it was something that you didn't expect to replace. That sounds like my luck. I did learn the first time my dryer went down to immediately tear into it and figure out what was going on. Laundry piles up quickly when you have a family, and Mama Bear doesn't like going to the laundromat.
Nope...I didn't expect to have to replace it, but I'm glad I figured it out, and at $100 total for the roller kit and the fan, I'm still in for way less than a new dryer
Old July 11th, 2023, 10:31 AM

Looks just like the heater fan in an Olds!

But ours from the 60’s were metal….
Old July 12th, 2023, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I use a 25 ft. rope to dry my clothes, those gas dryers are destroying our planet!
i hope your furnace and ac are off.
Old July 12th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Bfg

No more gas for me, I’m using my toaster to heat my house
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:34 PM

Got the new fan assembly today, and after literally destroying the old one to take it out, the new one went in with a breeze. Hit the button and she runs like a champ. Turns out the noise I heard and what I thought was the belt slipping on the drum was actually the old blower wheel spinning on the shaft.

And that's that with that...
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:42 PM

Good job, and welcome to the home repair club! In the past 4 months I have repaired the washing machine, the dryer, the water softener, a ceiling fan, the RO water system, one AC unit, the pool pump, and the lawn irrigation system. Whew.
Old July 19th, 2023, 03:55 AM
Running On Empty

I'm a card carrying member of the same club. Within the past year I've repaired (replaced) the electric clothes dryer motor, replaced Cuisinart microwave door switch, replaced Kitchenaid dishwasher electronic control door panel & replaced Culligan water softener water pump power valve assembly.