The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Whew, just got in from mowing shortly after 1100, 91 and 70% humidity. Still cooler than if I had waited until 1800 this evening to be done by dark. Still need to do my lifting workout, which I'll start within the next hour, and then run out and get some takeout for dinner because it's my wife's cleaning day. It will be a tough day for her because she cleans at Max's house, and it will be the first time she's been down there since he was put to sleep.

Later this evening I'll take the cover off the car, give it a quick look over, and load it with my show/traveling supplies, and my show sign so I don't have to mess with it in the morning. I bought a nice trunk organizer (pic) that allows me to keep all my supplies in one location and just lift it out of the trunk when I get to the show and store it under the rear end out of the way.

Hope everyone is having a nice day and I'll probably check in again later..

Trunk organizer with traveling and show supplies
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:22 AM

My H/O's trunk at the nationals had wheel, stock jack, another jack, belts and hoses, a bag of ignition parts, 3 folding chairs, The Club, a column lock, a car wash mitt, a bucket, a tote of fluids (oil, coolant, atf, ps, brake, detailing, car washing, windex) a cooler, loose beverages, paper towels, shoes, and a bottle of hooch. Thing was FULL, and my friend said it reminded her of my Monte Carlo's trunk.
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - You're not 'far' off in suggesting my course is a 'links' style golf course; although, the term 'links' is often used to describe or refer to any game of golf on any course - which is just fine for the many who often refer to the game of golf. James is being a tad more particular, since there is a more formidable and more accurate description to a true links golf course. Four conditions, IMO, often distinguish a links golf course from any other type of golf course: (1) A (generally) daily prevailing wind; (2) Narrow fairways; (3) Pothole bunkers & (4) Deep rough. Most links golf courses are situated along a large body of water's coastline - my course buttresses up along the coastline & it has a daily prevailing wind. The holes are not necessarily narrow but each fairway is guarded by trees (most golf course fairways are guarded by trees). We don't have many pothole bunkers - we have two; yet, we do have a pretty fair number of sand bunkers on all holes which protect the greens and are located on tee-shot landing zones. Our rough is certainly not the type of rough you'd experience in Scotland or England - it's a normal rough.

And, yes - the concrete (Portland cement) has set up wonderfully. I think I may remove the forms today.

Another morning of boring golf for me: 39/42
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What an unexpected pleasure at the Awful house today. It's always(usually) nice at the Awful house, but today I got out of work quite early, around 1030, and got to the AH too early for my friends. I was about to give up and go home and another guy came in who is usually there in the morning, so we talked awhile. Then the regular Friday at 1130 guys came in and we all talked. The one guy drove up in a 50? Ford pickup he just had restored. Resto mod with Torque Thrust wheels, beautiful wood bed, a really nice truck. It was his birthday so everyone sang happy birthday. Just a nice time being there. Glad I got to participate.

So no rain and not until Monday. Then we get hurricane rain. But until then nice weekend. And hot. Cool.

Chris I forgot what kind of dog you said Max was, but if he was a long hair dog your wife won't miss him for weeks and weeks. When my Max died I was vacuuming up dog hair for weeks, and even right out of the laundry my clothes had dog hair on them, so that took a couple washings to get rid of. When both my dogs died some years ago I still had dog hair two months later when I got Tiger, so I never was rid of it. I don't mind. I don't even notice it after all these years. Although on my work evals it would be good, good, good, appearance poor. Because they said I always had dog hair all over me. I said love me love my dog and I wouldn't sign it.

So work tomorrow, we should be done fairly early. I plan lots of moving and mowing this weekend. It's been three weeks since closing and I've done precious little. That needs to change.

Okay! Gonna do a little something before time to wind down. Oddly, I feel a little charged up. Might be from the Awful house or it might be from The Cure running in the background. Have a great afternoon everyone.

Old August 27th, 2021, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
My H/O's trunk at the nationals had wheel, stock jack, another jack, belts and hoses, a bag of ignition parts, 3 folding chairs, The Club, a column lock, a car wash mitt, a bucket, a tote of fluids (oil, coolant, atf, ps, brake, detailing, car washing, windex) a cooler, loose beverages, paper towels, shoes, and a bottle of hooch. Thing was FULL, and my friend said it reminded her of my Monte Carlo's trunk.
John - Your's was justifiably cluttered traveling 300-miles. These shows I'm going to are usually less than 50-miles away. As you can probably see, I do carry extra coolant, oil, and ATF (doubles for PS too). Bought the 3-ton scissor jack just to use in the 4-4-2.
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:44 AM

I built a subdivision in middle of Settin Down Creek Golf club [Bob Cupp design and a bear of a course.]\ I named the subdivision "The Links' and caught alot of $hit about it . That's the only reason I know the difference.
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Norm - As you suspected, I was using "links" in the generic sense, although I am quite familiar with the more specific definition of a links style course such as many British, Scottish, Irish courses.
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I forgot what kind of dog you said Max was, but if he was a long hair dog your wife won't miss him for weeks and weeks. When my Max died I was vacuuming up dog hair for weeks, and even right out of the laundry my clothes had dog hair on them, so that took a couple washings to get rid of. When both my dogs died some years ago I still had dog hair two months later when I got Tiger, so I never was rid of it. I don't mind. I don't even notice it after all these years. Although on my work evals it would be good, good, good, appearance poor. Because they said I always had dog hair all over me. I said love me love my dog and I wouldn't sign it.
Mike - I don't think I ever mentioned what type of dog Max was. He was a feisty, black and white, Boston Terrier.
Old August 27th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Running On Empty

The only links I am familiar with are the ones I've seen on the chains around my ankles - oh wait, what thread is this?
Old August 27th, 2021, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The only links I am familiar with are the ones I've seen on the chains around my ankles - oh wait, what thread is this?
Hand cuffs too, I wanna meet her!
Old August 27th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hand cuffs too, I wanna meet her!
Chris, you'd need a Permission Slip signed by your wife.
Old August 27th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I built a subdivision in middle of Settin Down Creek Golf club [Bob Cupp design and a bear of a course.]\ I named the subdivision "The Links' and caught alot of $hit about it.
Tough crowd.
Old August 27th, 2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - Your's was justifiably cluttered traveling 300-miles. These shows I'm going to are usually less than 50-miles away. As you can probably see, I do carry extra coolant, oil, and ATF (doubles for PS too). Bought the 3-ton scissor jack just to use in the 4-4-2.
I don't roll out of the garage without a tool bag full 'o sockets, wrenches, pliers, etc, plus jumper cables, jack, and a portable air compressor (those items stay in the trunk of every vehicle in the stable). I don't think I've ever needed oil or ATF while out on the road, but I have plugged tires, and even pulled the air horn off the carb to get some junk out of the needle valve - on the side of the road while on my way to work one morning - and still made it on time.
Old August 27th, 2021, 12:29 PM

Chris, you'd need a Permission Slip signed by your wife.
Permission slip, hell, I'd need an ambulance on call. I may have put "the boys" in jeopardy just by my original comment!
Old August 28th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good morning at work. Got there at 4, first wheel at 530. Sat and solved the world's problems with a guy up to that. Then had biscuits. We finished up around 9 and were headed home a few minutes after. Overcast and a great day to do stuff. I have a Valiant to go look at this afternoon. I had two to look at but one sold.

I hate to think of all the trips I took as a kid in my beat up old car with nothing to save me should I break down. Never did. When I moved to Atlanta I had to fly back up home and drive one of the cars down. I was already in maintenance by then so I brought my carry around toolbox on the plane as a carry on and put it in the front closet. Had that with me and needed nada on the trip home. Which was fine. And before we knew to be worried about old tires, I ran the hell out of tires that were decades old, driving downtown on the expressway, across the state, what have you, never a problem. But now that I know better I don't press my luck.

Okay gonna get ready to go see that Valiant. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old August 28th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Good morning everyone,
​​​​​​Can i continue to post progress on my car being painted on this thread I started even though it's kind of changing what the thread was originally about? Or should I start a new one? T

Thanks
Old August 28th, 2021, 09:43 AM

This thread is for what you're doing today. "I'm gonna paint my car. I like this color. Here's a pic."

Questions and feedback requests should probably be their own thread.
Old August 28th, 2021, 11:23 AM

Thinking about retiring the Massey Ferguson 135 because I really want a bucket., People tell me the spindles are the weak point of a 135 and don't add a bucket

So, I "thinking about a John Deere 3025 E with a bucket

Old August 28th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Running On Empty

Thinking about retiring the Massey Ferguson 135 because I really want a bucket., People tell me the spindles are the weak point of a 135 and don't add a bucket

So, I "thinking about a John Deere 3025 E with a bucket
James - I am clueless regarding reputation, durability, service, etc. of the JD 3025. I will say this, however - I sure see a ton of them in use.
Old August 28th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Norm, They have 4 John Deere's at my golf course [larger sizes] and seem to like them and put a WHOLE lot more hours on them than I ever would. I guess if you're gonna have a Green Cemetery ya need a Green tractor [ and not a Deutz]
Old August 28th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Always room for one more

Well the Valiant was a bust. Last registered 1993. Last running in the yard, maybe 14 years ago. Doesn't run, I thought it did. Overall it was fairly solid. Little niggling rust, like little holes around the back window, rust in the fender heals, and of course it needed floors. Had power steering and power brakes, which are rare on a Valiant. Guy started at 4200, then cut that down to 3200 in his ad. That's what he started at today. I said not interested. He said make an offer, which I hesitated to do, because I'm thinking parts car, but I said I'd do 500. He said he'd do 1000. That's a big jump from 3200 to 1000, but I still was unmoved. I told him I -might- do 700 which means that's what I would do because that's what he's going to remember me saying. Driving home I thought, I should just turn around and go give the man 1000. But I didn't have a great trailer with me and Tiger was with me and it would have been a huge ordeal. I may call him next week and then go back with a better trailer. What's the differnce between a couple hundred dollars. That car there if someone else bought it, they'd probably pull the 6 and rebuild it for a turbo Barracuda project, and scrap the rest. I can't have that.

Jamesbo just remember, Nothing Runs Like a Deere. The Lake used to have a MF 135. I used to bush hog with it. If yours is in decent shape I could put it in front of my new house for a yard decoration.

Dan go post on your other thread and then come hang out with us here. We're lots of fun. Then we'd have a pair of Dans.

Well I think I'll throw in some laundry and then do some packing. With work this morning and then going to see that car, the day is pretty much in the bag. It's nice out, the sun is out and I think it rained while I was gone. Not real wet but it's a lot cooler.

Old August 28th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Mike heres one for you

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/...368370264.html

Old August 28th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Mike. The only thing I have in decent shape [including myself] is my wife .Cross fit every day at 6:00 a/m I did stop by the Massey Place and order new decals and paint. Sooooooooooooo it will look like it's in good shape when I sell it, FWIW I've lugged it all over creation on that trailer you bought from me. It fits like a charm
Old August 28th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Always room for one more

Otto that's a cutie. My object(s) of desire is the 1968 version. My Grandmother had one all the time I was growing up and I have that car now. I also have a few more just like it. Funny how everyone laughs at me for wanting such a dull car, but when I go to buy one it's obviously made of gold. I think that's with any car.

8K seems a little high for that one, but it's complete and not rusted. Go buy a compact car that deluxe these days and see what you pay. Could use some whitewalls.

Old August 28th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Running On Empty

I guess if you're gonna have a Green Cemetery ya need a Green tractor [ and not a Deutz]
James - Of course you must have a green tractor for a Green Cemetery - a no brainer isn't it? And, the JD 3025E series is made at the JD factory in Augusta, GA. Do they deliver or you have to pick it up? What day does it arrive? I'm tired and don't feel like reading what you said earlier. What attachments - bush hog (size?), front-end loader(?), weight plates (total weight?), mower attachment(?), post-hole digger(?), auger(?), they have a single PTO or dual (?), front-end forks(?).

EDIT: Cutting blades for clover, alfalfa, etc. (?), rake(?) - c'mon fess up.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 28th, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old August 28th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Okay gonna get ready to go see that Valiant. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Mike - I hope the car.is in decent shape and you can get good deal on it if you like it.
Addition - Mike I hadn't read through all the days posts, obviously, good luck getting it for the cheaper price if you really want it.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 28th, 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old August 28th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Norm, I have dug my last fence post hole and cut, fluffed and raked my last bale of hay. I 'm gonna leave that to you younger guys [or sub it out]

I'm gonna scoop up a little dirt and occasionally pile it on a grave

So front bucket and rear tiller [to clean up the garden] My Zero turn mower will cut circles around any tractor finish mower I've ever seen

So turf tires filled with water an antifreeze

I May keep the MF 135 [repaint it ]and just leave the bush hog on it. Because I'm getting lazy in my old age and hate changing out equipment

I need tp give this a little more thought cause I'm sure this will be the last tractor I buy before I go home to glory
Old August 28th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

James - I've cut, raked, baled, loaded/unloaded bales in flatbed wagons, ran 'em into hay lofts on elevators driven by a sewn 40' piece of 12" wide leather attached to the tractor's external clutch/flywheel & stacked 'em to the top of the rafters far more often than any city slicker should have to. You recall these belts which drove farm machinery? Sling around the external clutch/flywheel, back the tractor up to snug up the leather strap and away you go. This was also one of the first "mechanical" methods used to clean out dairy/cattle barns and move the $hit into the manure spreader. We'd also make silage in the same manner - leather strap attached to a big gnarly grinder in which we'd feed corn, sorghum, wheat, alfalfa &/or sweet clover.

Old August 28th, 2021, 05:39 PM

Good evening guys,
I went to the car show in DeSoto, MO today at their VFW. Hotter than Hades, and not much shade to be found but I still had a good time. They had some good grilled food and ice cold beer. There were quite a few cars there,, I'm just guessing, but probably around 300. Surprise of surprises, I ended up winning my class! A real shocker, I thought there were at least 5 other cars nicer than mine. I think one or more of the judges had a soft spot for Old's and was tired of Chebbies, Fords, or MOPARs always taking home the hardware. Here's some pics:

Old August 28th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sounds fun. Congrats on winning your class. What's the deal with that red, what appears to be a Chevrolet Chevelle SS (1965?)? It's tricked out but what about the lack of external door handles? Some form of anti-theft device or what?
Old August 28th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Running On Empty

It's "HAMMER TIME" (again).

Hurricane Ida is now approaching its rapid intensification phase. The eye wall is now clearly visible and is expected to be a major hurricane at landfall. Here's the recent GOES-East - Sector view: Gulf of Mexico - GeoColor. I created a 20 hour time loop.

Impressive >>> https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...LOR&length=240

Old August 28th, 2021, 06:25 PM

Chris - Sounds fun. Congrats on winning your class. What's the deal with that red, what appears to be a Chevrolet Chevelle SS (1965?)? It's tricked out but what about the lack of external door handles? Some form of anti-theft device or what?
Norm - Thanks! There's a term for that removal of the door handles, I believe it's called "shaving". You see it mainly in Sreet Rod and Restomod builds. All I can figure is they have some type of automatic door unlock/pop-open mechanism installed that allows them to get the doors open? Not my thing, but to each their own.
Old August 28th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

I think it looks stupid.
Old August 28th, 2021, 06:33 PM

I think it looks stupid.
It does look odd to say the least. Speaking of Ida, I sure hope Kenneth's family doesn't get hammered again, those poor folks have been through way too much! I couldn't/wouldn't live in an environment where there is such a constant yearly threat of a major natural disaster.
Old August 28th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Ken, I love your Heelers! Otto, I also love that Valiant, and it's only across the big lake from me!! Old 27 was great drove most with Olds and one stretch with my F100, both did great. Tonight we are in Cuba NY on way to see the old Woodstock site tomorrow, then on to Maine.
Old August 28th, 2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Ken, I love your Heelers! Otto, I also love that Valiant, and it's only across the big lake from me!! Old 27 was great drove most with Olds and one stretch with my F100, both did great. Tonight we are in Cuba NY on way to see the old Woodstock site tomorrow, then on to Maine.
Greg - Glad you had a good time on the Old 27 tour. Enjoy Maine, I have no doubt you will!
Old August 28th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Hot rodders do all sorts of ****. Chopped, Dropped, Shaved, Channeled, Filled, Frenched, Decked, Nosed, Pancaked, Peaked, Rolled, Sectioned, Wedged, Stretched and Tubbed, to name several.

Speaking of which, the Frog Follies, Evansville's Hot Rod Meet, is going on 2 miles away at the fairgrounds now. Got quiet at dark, hot rodders are now old men. Time gets everyone.

Today I loaded a pile of furniture and stuff that I had put around my Monte Carlo in June after the tree hit the house in Terre Haute. Took two trips in the Tacoma to where the 442 is, and buried it instead. Now I can work on the Chevy's water pump.
Then I went and got my van and missed the popup storm that had hit up the road that I was watching while doing the previous, and drove up to the next town for the ice cream stand. Had to dodge a downed tree. Van is doing well. I have a real nice spot for it, it lives in a large, semi climate controlled polebarn with lots of bass boats on trailers. I need the whole stall for the 442 + stuff, otherwise I'd inquire about a second spot with the van.
Old August 28th, 2021, 08:28 PM

Well, Ida will miss SW LA so a lot of our family is safe, but my oldest sister and her family in N’Awlinz bugged out for Tejas (Houston area) this afternoon. Very slow going on I-10 west, like crawling at 30 MPH for the 350 mile trip. Yuck.

Anyway, glad the storm will miss SWLA as those folks are still rebuilding from Laura and Delta. Lots of folks still displaced, a lot of houses and buildings still under (re)construction.

Last edited by Fun71; August 28th, 2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old August 29th, 2021, 02:39 AM

Norm, Years ago and friend of mine had a tricycle John Deere. We bushogged some bottom land , grew some corn and made cow feed with a hammermill. I've pulled wagon loads of corn out of that field with is tricycle John Deere. They sound weird but keep on ticking

Given your experience, I'm betting you don't go on hay rides

The farming days are all but over with around here. We [subbed out] cut some hay and rent out some pasture land for horses. but subdivisions have taken over most of the land parcels

Chris,

Nice pics and congratulations

Mike, I checked on John, He's at the plantation but his bride is high and ry in the mountains
Old August 29th, 2021, 04:28 AM

The farming days are all but over with around here. We [subbed out] cut some hay and rent out some pasture land for horses. but subdivisions have taken over most of the land parcels

Chris,

Nice pics and congratulations
James - Thanks for the congrats. That's aome pretty looking ground, with a nice stand of old growth trees in the background!