The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2021, 05:28 AM

Otto - Great video, loved it!
Old August 31st, 2021, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I love tractors but a man's gotta eat. Fresh bagel, cream cheese capers and nova

James - The bagel looks great. I love smoked salmon, I don't particularly care for lox though. My Dad would smoke some of the salmon we'd catch on our salmon fishing trips, as well as alot of the other game we harvested like venison, pheasants, and quail. He was very good at it.
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:47 AM

Good morning guys,
Slow morning around here. I got up pretty late for me, around 0700. I think I was able to sleep in a little because it's so overcast outside. It's not raining right now but we're supposed to get multiple waves throughout the day.

No big plans. Will have to run a few errands later today. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:50 AM
Running On Empty

Otto. Several of my cousins were regulars at the Badger Steam & Gas Show since they reside just outside Baraboo. I've never attended but I always wanted to attend. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to finish watching after I've finished the fence. Great video.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:09 AM

Haven't beenhere in a couple of days. Nice pics of cars and tractors. Otto's vid won't play for me, so I may have to re visit it later. At the car show that I was at a couple of weeks ago, in Coopersville, they had a large display of tractors in one lot, as they have a tractor museum right on the main drag of town. There is a blueberry farm about 20 miles south of me, along U.S. 31 that has a couple of steam tractors out front, not in use in decades. When we used to visit my cousins in Oostburg, Wi. back in the late 60's early '70's, we went to a fair east of there, and they had running steam tractors moving about about, always pretty cool. Stopped at my buddy's place on Sat. to check out the '70 442 that he picked up. A very solid and rust free car, no flaking on the frame, no rust or even dirt on the bottom of the door panels. He already has a new exhuast system for it, and is planning on rebuilding the carb as it wants to lay down a bit if he tries to get on it. As it is a post car, the doors shut with a solid thunk. A nice car. Much to my surprise he had pulled the engine out of his '68 442 and rebuilt it. He took it to work (Mahle) and the guys who run the test cells did all of the machine work on it, and he put it back together. This was a Turnpike Cruiser, but when he bought it in '96, he added a cast intake and four barrel to it along with a JM 18-20 cam. Well now it has .030 over 10.25:1 pistons in it, and the 2.072 intake valves, along with an Erson cam. It should pull a little better when it installed back in the car. A busy boy, not sure where he finds the time.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 31st, 2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:17 AM

Jamesbo, if you get a new JD, don't challenge a steam locomotive to a pull off.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:40 AM

Not to worry
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:40 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Fun video.
James - Perhaps you could level the playing field with this beast.

Old August 31st, 2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jamesbo, if you get a new JD, don't challenge a steam locomotive to a pull off. https://youtu.be/kA0E7kRhd6M
Dan - Cool video, quite the mismatch. Now get one of the ginormous JD's like the one Norm posted below, and I'd bet the JD would pull the steam tractor backward. Of course then you could hook the ginormous JD up to a large locomotive, and the locomotive would easily win, but it would still be fun to see the battles.
Old August 31st, 2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Dan - Fun video.
James - Perhaps you could level the playing field with this beast.
Norm - Wow, that is a beast, never knew they even made one with tri-wheels on all four corners.
Old August 31st, 2021, 11:33 AM

Norm, I used to own a field big enough for that beast, but it has 50 homes on it now
Old August 31st, 2021, 11:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Wow, that is a beast, never knew they even made one with tri-wheels on all four corners.
The production 9620R comes w/ dual wheel spindles/axles. You can upgrade w/ another axle wheel spindle to accommodate x3. Many farm tractors were/are produced in this manner - not all, but most. You can also determine the size of axle, wheel & spindle to accommodate the many various widths/heighths of tire combinations.
Old August 31st, 2021, 11:51 AM
Running On Empty

The last of my Mom's brother's wives (you get that one?) - making her my Mom's sister-in-law (my Aunt Ruth) passed away this past January. This (Mom's) brother's name was Dennis. Dennis was the fourth oldest in the family of 14 & the third oldest male in the family. Dennis' brother Ben (Bernard) lived up the gravel road from Dennis ~1 mile. Together Dennis & Ben owned/farmed 1.5 sections of land (1.5 sq. miles or 960 acres). My Aunt Ruth sold their share of the farm ~3 years prior to her passing away - contingent on her being able to remain on the farm and reside in the home until she passed away. Some very large farm bureau purchased the farm and it remains in agricultural farmland.

BTW, one more board to cut for the fence. It's the last remaining board which has several custom cuts to accommodate where this fencing section ties into one of the gate brick columns. This last section requires a little more custom cutting as I'm accommodating a step-down in terrace/terrain since the surface of the ground is lower at the gate.

Next, we'll see about that dryer....
Old August 31st, 2021, 12:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I used to own a field big enough for that beast, but it has 50 homes on it now
James - Uncle Denny & Uncle Ben could put a half dozen of those beasts to use - each. Each (of these) Uncles had ~6 running tractors - they owned a combine (together) and leased it out to adjacent farmers and/or relatives; or, perhaps more appropriately - they horse traded and/or bartered for services, hay bales, silage, etc., etc., etc. Maybe they swapped Holsteins and swine - I don't know. They each milked ~160 Holstein twice daily (so they each most likely owned 200 - 220 Holstein) and ~1,000 swine each.
Old August 31st, 2021, 12:43 PM

James - Uncle Denny & Uncle Ben could put a half dozen of those beasts to use - each. Each (of these) Uncles had ~6 running tractors - they owned a combine (together) and leased it out to adjacent farmers and/or relatives; or, perhaps more appropriately - they horse traded and/or bartered for services, hay bales, silage, etc., etc., etc. Maybe they swapped Holsteins and swine - I don't know. They each milked ~160 Holstein twice daily (so they each most likely owned 200 - 220 Holstein) and ~1,000 swine each.

So nuff real live farmers, I was a piker farmer No offence to any of your relatives but owning a dairy is like being in prison. The 2 closest ones around here were shut down by the EPA Seems like they didn't ;like the way they washed down their concrete floors in milking stalls
Old August 31st, 2021, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

It takes a fair amount to offend me; and, you certainly have no intentions of being offensive. Some folks lot in life was/is shaped by many factors. You are absolutely correct - a dairy farm is a prison. Interesting you should mention cleanliness of dairy barns. I helped both of these two Uncles (Ben & Den) install rotating paddle barn cleaners in both of their dairy milking barns. Talk about a job with all-hands-on-deck. We did one barn one month and the other barn the following month. The day the concrete trucks arrived for the pour you never saw so many swinging dicks gathered in one location to pour concrete. Forty stanchions to each side for a total of 80 stanchions in each barn. During milking, you'd bring in between 50-60 Holsteins, turn them out and bring in another 50-60. I believe only one two or three of my first cousins (I have 57 first cousins on Mom's side alone) became farmers - most of my cousins wanted nothing to do with farming. One of Mom's brothers (Ed) owned a tree farm/saw mill just South of LaCrosse, WI (Genoa, WI). I don't recall how many acres but it was really big and the stands of trees were enormous. One of Ed's daughters (my cousin Sally) won Wisconsin State Fair x3 years in a row with her Thoroughbred. Sally's horse was gorgeous @ 16 hands - just a beautiful animal. To give you an idea of the size and age of the trees in this forest (tree farm), we could ride horse(s) through many of the acres of woods and not hit the first branches.
Old August 31st, 2021, 03:02 PM

Norm, So what did they do when they cleaned it out? The reason [ I think] the EPA closed down the dairies near me was they felt [thought} he manure was running off into near by creeks

On a side note. I once was at a rezoing meeting where the neighborhood ***** brought in the Sierra Club to make me look like a baby killer, They had slides of beavers floating face down and children on respirators to show what "Evil developer did to the world. After the meeting [read public B.S. hanging] I asked one of the Sierra Club guys wat was the affect of Agriculture on the environment? He said, It's not that it isn't a problem, it's such a big problem we can't address it "

My horse pasture [formally cow pasture] has a basin that empties into a spring head. I will guarantee you when it rains, manure washes down out of the grass and into the spring that feeds the river.

FWIW I'd hate to drive that tractor on a wet day, Those outer tires would sling mud sky high

Even my small 135 MF would sling mud when I had to put out round bales in the winter.
Old August 31st, 2021, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

After grachet skool I taught Majors Biology in college (plus a course in Oceanology & one course of Physical Science) in Florida for x5 years I resided in a couple apartment/duplex locations around St. Petersburg/New Port Richey for several years until I finally moved into a upstairs "garage" apartment (built as a servant's quarters) in Dade City (County Seat of Pasco County, FL). It was nothing fancy - x1 bedroom, toilet/shower, living room area, small dining/kitchen area. The garage was situated alongside a very nice older three-story home on two acres with an immaculately maintained landscape/yard, picket fence, etc. The husband passed away, an older widow resided in the home and her three sons stopped by nearly daily, or so. They owned 30,000 acres of citrus groves and several swine farms throughout various areas of Florida. It was a big operation - they primarily raised/sold oranges but I believe they raised grapefruit, as well. They used much of their pulp and orange/grapefruit peels (rinds) as swine food supplement. A very nice family and very hard working *****. They told me the servant quarters were previously used by the head groundskeeper. This family had some cashola.

During the summer months for two years (when not teaching) I worked part-time/full-time (based upon need/requirements) on a tree farm just outside Starks Corner New Port Richey, FL. It was fun work, often I'd have to mow around the plantation - the owner's home consisted of several homes (I don't know who all lived in them) and there were a fair number of outbuildings with lots of equipment. Several contraptions I was unfamiliar with until one day one of the foremen and I were talking and he told me about the owner of the tree farm (I never met the owner but I saw him a couple times). The foreman told me the owner of the tree farm made his claim-to-fame as the inventor (with several patents) of a round baler transport and dumping trailer. He was selling them all over the country.

The manure from the dairy farms for both of those two Uncles (Den & Ben) was loaded onto a manure spreader(s) (located at the end of the dairy milking barn) and taken into the fields where it was spread & tilled into the soil of various fields i.e. corn, soybeans, alfalfa, wheat, sorghum & red sweet clover.
Old August 31st, 2021, 04:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Rained when I got home. I expect the same tomorrow.

Not much new around here. Gonna hit the sack in a minute so I can get up early for overtime.

I did finally get my state tax refund today. Only took three and a half months. Still waiting on the federal refund.

Tomorrow is Hump Day. If only. Also the start of a new month. Yippee.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old August 31st, 2021, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

Four cheese tortelloni in pesto. By rights I should be following this up with a chocolate malted milkshake but I'm out of ice cream.

Old August 31st, 2021, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I generally always get my state return before my federal. Don't wait for your federal refund to buy chocolate malted milkshake supplies - get them now.
Old August 31st, 2021, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

Guys - I know often it's a PITA to look at pictures of the "The Wall". I tried to keep them somewhat minimal - enough to paint a picture of current progress & I really appreciate all your comments and your patience in allowing me to post them. I reached the final milestone today - this will be the last of the pictures of "The Wall". Thanks for following along.

Old August 31st, 2021, 05:27 PM

Hi guys, We are in Bremen Maine. It's really beautiful. Got a cabin from VRBO. It's very basic, the floors run up and down. Went to Acadia National park today- really cool. Also ate Lobstah Oh yeah baby!!
Old August 31st, 2021, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Good to hear from you. Glad you're enjoying yourselves. There's nothing wrong with eating one or several Maine lobsters daily. Enjoy.
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:04 PM

Very good, Norm. I enjoy The Wall on here, but I must say I enjoy my 1 to 1 comparison of Pink Floyd's The Wall vinyl on my stock vs modded Technics I am currently doing.

Parsing your timeline, you may have been residing in Dade City in the 80s. My father, in his pursuit of hunting, was on one of his many, over the course of the years, hunting leases with his friends, mostly dental colleagues. I was able to join him at age 6 for a good five years there until 91 when the lease was terminated. Place was owned by Agra Timber and it was and is called the Green Swamp and was just east of Dade City across the little Withlacoochee River. The property backed up to the river, and the camp was an old cypress Florida home, probably made in the 50s. We also had camping trailers. Very wonderful place for a boy to learn to shoot, drive, hunt, and eat strange things in the company of good men, most of whom are now dead. They leased, not all at the same time, a total of about 12,000 acres of Central Florida woods. The hunting was abysmal by my standards today, yet it one of the leases I remember most. The building is now a Boy Scout Camp called Little Bigfoot, they removed the remains of the trailer camp, but the old log shack remains, and probably will for another hundred years.
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:26 PM

Norm - Nice work on the wall as you say. I know that you busted your *** on that project and it turned out so nice. Kudos and much respect, the pictures along the way were a bonus I think all will agree thanks for sharing.

Keith
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:47 PM

Guys - I know often it's a PITA to look at pictures of the "The Wall". I tried to keep them somewhat minimal - enough to paint a picture of current progress & I really appreciate all your comments and your patience in allowing me to post them. I reached the final milestone today - this will be the last of the pictures of "The Wall". Thanks for following along.
Norm - "The Wall" is magnificent, but ya got to give us one last pic after it's stained!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 31st, 2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, We are in Bremen Maine. It's really beautiful. Got a cabin from VRBO. It's very basic, the floors run up and down. Went to Acadia National park today- really cool. Also ate Lobstah Oh yeah baby!!
Greg - Glad you're having a great time, eat a Lobster or two for me!
Old August 31st, 2021, 07:00 PM
Running On Empty

John - I am pretty familiar w/ the Green Swamp. I knew a portion of its history since you can't reside around Dade City without knowing some history of Hernando de Soto & his march through the Green Swamp. I did not know about Agri-Timber. I resided in Florida from 1988 through 1992. Prior to Dade City I lived on the coast (off HWY 19) in Hudson, FL. I did three things with my free time while living in Florida: (1) Fished, (2) Canoed & (3) SCUBA dived. I canoed the Withlacoochee River twice. These were overnight trips with four of us occupying three canoes. Each time we canoed the Withlacoochee we put-in somewhere around Hwy 41 in Pasco County. IIRC, we spent two nights & three days on each trip. We took out at Gum Springs each trip. I recall some locals talking about the guy who lived in the hollow of a big Cypress Tree in Green Swamp until they caught him. I don't know what he did or anything else.

I used to own a Technics back in the '70s. I can't recall what I did w/ it. I purchased a BD-1600 GLiPro about 15 years ago along w/ a DAK+Fader as I was moving vinyl to digital (which is still a work in progress when I can find the time).
Old August 31st, 2021, 07:11 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - Thanks. That was quite the project. I think I'll retire.

Chris - That's a good idea. I'll probably wait until late October or November before I stain. The boards should be as dry as they're ever going to get in 2-3 months time. I wanted Western Box Cedar (like I did the swinging gate), but I wasn't going to spend four times the amount I spent on Western Box Cedar five years ago. The price of #2 Pine lumber is crazy today and Western Box Cedar is plain nuts in price.
Old August 31st, 2021, 09:22 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by otto72
Glenn we have an event here in Sauk Co. WI called Badger Steam and Gas Show in August. In the spring a swap meet also. Thanks for sharing the albums very cool. Her is a vid someone took this year at the show.

https://youtu.be/mCG5qPCMsJM
Thanks for sharing this video , this was very intresting to se Otto

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - "The Wall" is magnificent, but ya got to give us one last pic after it's stained!
+1 looks great Norm and very nice pics.
Old August 31st, 2021, 11:25 PM

Greg, good to see that you're having a good time in Maine. Norm, great job on the fence. Posts set in concrete in the middle of each section, that has to be a damn sturdy fence.
Old September 1st, 2021, 03:01 AM

Norm, The wall looks fabulous. Your yard also looks like it was done with manicure scissors,,

Do you have another driveway/entrance? or is the side entrance the only one?

When you come home from playing golf, Do you have to open the gate to get it? Inquiring minds
Old September 1st, 2021, 04:11 AM

Maine

Cabin in Maine. They get Lobsters right here. Old business handed down from generations.

Not too fancy, floors ( actually whole place) is very un level, feels like waking up and down hill- but really cool actually''''

Cozy....

Old September 1st, 2021, 04:13 AM

This "Jet Pack" hot spot works good. Internet is just like at home!
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:09 AM

Greg - Neat looking old place you're staying in, glad you're having a great time! Safe travels home!
Old September 1st, 2021, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

James - Thanks. I’m telling you mowing centipede at 1.75” works really well. The driveway is a circular drive with another (main) entrance from the street in front of the house. I do occasionally use the gated entrance mostly for guests, hauling a trailer, etc.
Old September 1st, 2021, 09:55 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
+1 looks great Norm and very nice pics.
Thanks Glenn.
Old September 1st, 2021, 09:59 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks. Not a single nail used in the entire fence construction. This fence will be standing after numerous Cat 5 hurricanes.
Old September 1st, 2021, 11:08 AM

Wow, where'd the morning go? Dentist visit for my wife, furniture pickup for her, and trip to Walmart. Gotta get started on my workout here in a minute, and then mowing. Check in with ya'll later. Hope everyone's having a great day!