The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin
Ta quote Jim
Hi, bye. Werm. Off to de rodeo.
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Mawn'in all

Allan, Yippie Ki yay Didn't know ya could rodeo in de dark up thar

Mike, Er I told cha so, Hope dem pups didn't tear up de house during de thunder boomers

Sammy, If ya see any 69 w-30 drop tops, I don't wanta hear about it OK?

I jes curious has anyone counted de number of Vistas Rob has been shown an turned down. No wonder he's a bachelor

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, it gets light here at 04:45 so no probs wit de light. Nice an cool right now as de judges start to arrive.

Rob turns down all the 455 cars and de ones dat are too spensive. He's also got some preferences to color and options. I understand his issues but de market ain't quite expanding ever yar if not ya know what I mean.

Btw they serve free koffee n donuts here fer brekkie. Lunch is Spoda be a grill sumpin or other.

Nice dey also gots wifi here at de course!
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rare day that I don't go to the Awful house. Thought it would be nice to sleep in a little.

The dogs thought they heard thunder, but I think it was an airplane. Looks a little overcast but still fairly bright out.

Not sure what I want to do today. Clean house a little, go to the junkyard, I'll figure it out here soon.

Clint how's the soreness today?

Okay see ya.
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike! I found a DIY video that show how to rekey any similar lock cylinder. Best thing is I still have the old busted one so when I pull the tabs I'll also know what the code is. I didn't know it would be this easy. Also easy? How to pull the dash cluster for bulb replacement! Yeah there's no downside to a 750.00 car. I'm not worried about it ending up being perfect. Only thing I really don't like a lot is how light the car is, it gets thrown around a fair bit in deep snow. I know, there's that nasty 4 letter word agin.
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Funny about the Awful house. I stayed home and had fake Eggo waffles, then had a bacon sandwich for lunch, and then my sister was driving through town and I met her at the Awful house for dinner.

Went to mow at the shop today. Got quite a lot done. It was a beautiful day all day, then after mowing a couple hours it started raining, hard. Luckily the dogs were in their room while I was gone, lots of thunder. I bet we got two inches of rain in less than two hours.

Power went out as well, and the cable. Boy what to do when there's no TV or internet. It's nice out now. Lucky the cable came back before Fantasy Island was over.

That one Vista here in Atlanta was one I was sure Rob would like. No rust, 350, 6K. I think Rob isn't really interested in a Vista, don't know why he'd put us on, though.

Think I'll clean up in the kitchen a little and then relax. Long day coming up tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:13 AM
CQR

MOrnin.

Mike Tuesdays are the worst after a race. And as luck would have it I was doing a $900 water pump job on a Chrysler that had me up and down on a creeper. It was tough keeping my groans to myself. Can someone remind me why we bailed them out again?

Allan, We had enough cloud cover to keep it real warm last night. It's just under 70F right now. and it's only spose to get to 76 for a high. Not cool enough to make any headway with the attic fan.

Jamesbo, I gave up on that thread. Theres some people you just can't please.

Have a humpday all.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Anutter hot one on de way at the track.

Clint, I hear ya on both counts.

I don't think I'm gonna do this again next year. Slurp o koffee. Enjoy your day.
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man I just can't get going. The dogs woke me up at 5 and I thought, gee I can sleep another hour. Got up after 8. Took them to dog jail and went to the Awful house, knowing I wouldn't see anyone. The one woman says, I just texted Win that you're here he'll be here in a minute. So I stuck around and talked with him. Now, I need to be on the road to Florida [in 12 minutes] and it doesn't look like I'll make it. I'm not even ready to go. Oh well.

Clint what are your thoughts on a really extended oil change? The oil in the Cadillac is two years old but it only has a couple hundred miles on it. Should I change it anyway, do I need to change the filter as well, should I leave it be and just wait for the requisite 3000 miles to come up? It's Mobil 1 that's in there.

Okay gotta get it together. My Mom has a laptop so I'll try to check in. If it's nice tomorrow I'm gonna wax her car. And paint the hubcaps.

Have a good rest of the week everyone I'll see you when I see you.
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
CQR

Mike, I'd leave it. may not wait the 14 years its gonna take to get the 3000 miles. but I'd wait until at least 1500 miles.
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:58 PM

may not wait the 14 years its gonna take to get the 3000 miles.
LOL! sorry Mike. Anyway got the cast off and the sutures removed today, I'll be back in the boot probably 'til August, I'll start phys. therapy in 2 weeks but, starting Monday I can ditch the crutches, that will make getting around so much better, and I can go to Homecoming w/o being hindered too much, (and bring my camera).
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:19 AM

Afternoon everyone. It has been far to long since I was on here to converse with all ya'll. Stupid work makes me forget all the important things in life.

Well I have been busy making money to pay bills and spend money I have been able to keep up with Sandy on facebook, sort of and the odd post from others but that is all Time to stop working so hard and live life a bit more.

Cheers, Adrian
Old June 11th, 2015, 04:22 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Adrian, Good to hear from you. Hope its not too cold down there.

Have a Thursday all.
Old June 11th, 2015, 04:42 AM

Mawn'in all

Hey, Dare's my pal Adrian. Don't stay such a stranger

Went to de big city yesterday to get my tooth cleaned and took sum Q slaw and fried okrie to a dear sick friend.

Today, I gotta go to Lowe's and get sum more [I think I've already bought 20 gallons] white fence paint

De guy what cuts my hay was blow'in and going fer de last to days. He got it all up in round bales late yesterday before de weather turned

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Gorjeemus day shaping up, but thankfully after this were Spoda tank and get some much needed rain.

Y'all prolly heard about the police officer who was shot here Monday? He and his partner were trying to execute a warrant and got sot 52 times? Really a sad story and puts a face to what's wrong with society. The murderer then set fire to the house while he was still in it and dared fire rescue to put it out. He's now a crispy critter.

Jim, I nose dis guy what's named Tom Sawyer who kin paint like a ad fool. Jess needs sum insetive. One 20 gallons?

Adrian, welcome back! How's everyone down under? Been out hunting again this year?

Clint, you all stretched out and limbered up? Just in time for another race weekend.
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had an uneventful trip down here yesterday, and had a successful trip to the eye surgeon today. Everything went fine and I'll be headed home tomorrow.

Hey there Adrian. Thought I'd be over on your side of the pond this week but my friends weren't that coordinated. I'll try again in September.

Lots of rain here this morning. I was going to wax Mom's car but it didn't stop raining in time. Figures it's beautiful out now.

Well have a good evening everyone.
Old June 11th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Mike, Eye surgeon? what did I miss?
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:32 PM

Hey all, winter still hasn't come for me here. only getting down to about 5 on average at night then back to 20 or so during the day so that isn't winter in my books

Everything is going ok here. The new machine they installed at work is up and running in the commissioning phase, won't be long till it is fully operational.

Haven't been able to go hunting yet this year unless you know of someone with enough private land that will let you on to hunt then you can't hunt in Queensland. In NSW and Vic you can hunt in state forests but not in QLD so I have to try and figure out a place to go. We will see

Hope all is alright with your eye/s Mike. Don't want to be loosing those

Geez, sounds like he had to reload a few times Allan, not a good thing at all.

If you get over in September Mike it will probably be crazy hot by then.

Take care ya'll,

Adrian
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Mawn'in all

Does anyone but me ever have de kind of day when ya wake up an jes can't decide what to do.
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Well Elsie arrived last evening with a vengeance. Rain was so heavy it was hard to see 50 feet. Much cooler today and more needed rain on the way.

Whar is Clint??

I called Tristar yesterday and asked what's up with my molding. After all it's been close to 3 weeks waitng Now. Oh, it the wrong side. Duh these molds are symmetrical! So buddy calls back 10 minutes later and says he made a mistake and that its painted and ready to install. Gonna do that at 9 dis mawnin.

Went to de boneyard yesterday and picked up those door lock cylinders. They're put together different and I suspect I need a proper key to get the cylinder out. So I used parts from one to rebuild the old one. It's back in and works. Good enough.

WTH? Gas here just went UP again? Good thing I filled up yesterday and also took along several jerry cans. This gouging at the pumps is out of control. Oil is still only 61/bbl so I figure the CEOs are just jacking us because they "need" mo money in their already fat pockets. Can ya tell I'm a bit ticked?

This end o de werk week so enjoy it!

Last edited by Allan R; June 12th, 2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Dang otter kerredt
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim I nebber weary bout dat. I'm just so pleased I waked up. Sumpin ALWAYS comes up on de to do nebber ending list.
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sorry Allan, I'm here by myself today. gotta work on one of the Dragstrips Grudge cars today. Nope, no racing for me this weekend. I havta go look at a new chipper with the MIL tomorrow and then I have a 450cc engine to build.

Jamesbo. I do everyday. But you forgot the put 'first' at the end of the sentence.

Adrian hope the fam is all well. If you come across a good deal on a HQ or a XB or XC gt for a good price let me know.

Started raining last evening. So far we've gotten 1.5" and no signs of it slowing. It's so wet around here the Aspen bark is getting all wrinkly.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik G'mawnin' ...

... from da' Swamp. Already had a shower, and they're sayin' 80% for rest o'day. Lookin' ominous.

Adrian, I'm going to start calling you Lazarus. Welcome back to the "up over" gang~! Hope the family is doing well.

Allan, I heard ya' about jes wakin' up... So much to be thankful for. Jamesbo, that's really a luxury of our times. It's a mixed blessing, IMHO. Hopefully, all the options will have a "spoon full of sugar [to] make the medicine go down," to quote a line from one of my all-time fave movies from when I was in 3rd grade.

Got a little customer looking to write a proposal, so I'm going to put a few hours in at a saltmine of sorts beginning Monday. I'll prolly make enough to pay my gas bill of getting to Slidell, where he is. He's a visually impaired guy who works his keister off running a food truck, so I'll feel decent about not getting rich offa' him. And it might help me ease back into my freelancing, which I've been wanting to do.

Who has any recent knowledge about buying a decent pressure washer? I'm looking to spend somewhere b/w $500 & a grand, depending on quality, performance, & value. I'm looking at 3. What d'yall think?

DR

Sam's

Lowe's

One has a Suburu, one has a Honda, and one has a Kohler engine.

Y'all have a great Fright Day the 12th, Oldsmofriends.

Chores beckon.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM

And now something completely different: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...rs/?refer=news Allan, I hear you on gas prices, went up 40 cents in the last two weeks.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, stay away from the Kohler engines. Buy the Honda, it's a better engine. The Subaru powered one looks decent too. Both have free ship but the Honda has better PSI.
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:47 AM

John, I bought the extended warranty on mine
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM

At one time I thought that Kohler was the best out there, that is until I bought my Toro rider about seven years ago, every time that I turned to make another swipe down the lawn, I would get a puff of blue smoke, this being the first year that I owned it, I was thinking "not good", so in the fall I called the dealer and had them pick it up...four months later they call me and tell that it is done, about late February, turns out that they had to fight w/Kohler to replace my cracked block, even though I had less than 25 hours on it. The blocks were bad (18hp), and they had come up with a new design and get them cast, which also added to the wait, fortunately they had it during the winter when I did not need it, so never again.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Captain Starfire

Thanques

... for the advice, friends. I do have a Kohler home backup generator and it has been good, but the motor is actually a B&S made to Kohler's specs. I'm with you guys, and would gravitate toward the Honda or the Subaru. I'll keep you's posted (as the old N.O. ladies would say when I was a pup).
Further insight and advice eagerly read.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Onan or Deutz for backup gen sets. They're the best. Onan is a division of cummins IIRC
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a nice drive home today and got home in time to pick up the dogs. Seems they got into it earlier today and had to be separated. It sounds to me like they were just playing but the little girl that works in the back just started working there and she freaked out. So when I went to pick them up I had to go into a room and talk with the doctor. I felt like I was in detention.

Ah so my eyes are fine, it was my Mom who had some eye surgery. Sorry 'bout that. She had surgery for a detached retina in March, but the doctor didn't think it was healing just right so he did a little warranty work. Everything came out okay and when I talk to Mom tonight I'll find out how the day-after check up went.

Adrian when I'm normally there in March it is routinely between 35 and 40 celsius. I love it. Is there a big temperature difference between Queensland and NSW/Victoria?

Got some catching up to do. I like being away but then I like to get home. And now it's time for the weekend. Hope everyone has a good one.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Morning all, the family is good. Allegra is up and running around getting into everything she can reach. Being the only guy in a house with 3 girls can be a trial at times

John, we use water pressure units at work and from experience if they are rated at 3k they will only run around 2300, these are hard wired. We also have 2 diesel powered 6k units and they also run around 5k at best. Just something to keep in mind. I too would go for Honda powered

Clint, are the cars required to be a little fixerupper fully restored or needs restoring? Just a quick search for you to look at. http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/resu...=TopDeal&cpw=1

I'm more then happy to help locate one for you.

I don't want to talk about gas prices, nearly $1.50 a litre here at the moment

Usually I have a struggle just to get out of bed because my list is too long Jamesbo

Mike the temps can differ a fair bit on a day to day basis. The main difference is the humidity. On a 40 deg day with humidity close to 100 they are not fun at all

That's all for now,

Adrian "Lazarus"
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM

Evening strangers!

It's been a while. How is everyone doing?

I'm hoping to get on a bit more often now, but work is still busy and now that car season is here, I don't seem to have that much time to get online.

Still having trouble with the Cutlass. The Delta is still going strong and the Mustang has had another warranty visit.

I have a feeling I'll be making a few "help me" posts with Cutlass issues.

I've come to realise that no matter how many cars you have, there will be a time you will end up without a functional car. On Monday, the only car I had I could drive was the loaner Fiesta the dealership gave me when I dropped the Mustang off. The Delta had a flat that I fixed later that day.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Worm. Looks like a nice day shaping up.

Paul it has been awhile. My Mustang gets its oil changed on Monday, its first time. Today I've had that car one year. It has 4700 miles on it.

Gotta get it together. See ya later.
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

MawnIn all

De Sonata got its molding installed. Took all of 5 minutes. Don't know why they couldn't have just done it right the first time. Cross my fingers and toes that I'm finally done with these bozos.

Yesterday I had lunch with my sister. We walked from her place to the restaurant. It was a nIce walk through an older neighborhood with trees like the ones Jim is trying to save. Thai food place. I had a seafood soup which would prolly be enjoyed by anyone from NO. It was a bit on de spicy side and had wonderful flavor. It was also a huge bowl and I didn't finish all the bisque.

I bought a couple of stunning Asian lilies and gave one to my sister and one to the missus.

Funny the forecast was for showers today but nothing so far.

Mike, your stang gets the same kind of miles my Sonata does only I change my oil more often.

Ted? You still with us? I see you guys were getting hammered with weather last little while. Hope you had the hatches battened down.

Clint, have fun with that rebuild. So much for having a weekend off huh? Why doesn't the MIL just rent a chipper? Maybe she has enough trees to justify having one....

John, I also have a lawnmower with a Kohler 7 horse rating. It hasn't been reliable since the day I bought it. My neighbor who runs a yard maintenance company only buys Honda or Briggs $ Stratton. Reason he says is reliability. What did you decide on?
Koffee Time I guess. May Saturn smile on your first day of weekly freedom.
Old June 13th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Weed'in de garden dis mawn'in. Ya'll come by an help
Old June 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo is Dahlonega close to you? The map doesn't show an easy way to get there from here. If it is I'll come help in the garden.

Here's something I wanted to ask. My neighbor over at the shop is a mechanic, and he said whenever you need an engine rebuilt it's much better to get a low-mileage engine from a "supplier" (he was careful not to say junkyard) rather than to have your motor rebuilt. Cheeper maybe, but better? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of putting in the new engine only to find out that was the reason the original car was sent to the junkyard in the first place. Any opinions?

Got a charger on the convertible. I haven't touched that car in months. It will be nice to get it all cleaned up and ready for a summer of cruising.
Old June 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, do a compression test, leak down test and check oil for contamination. If it passes muster a low mile engine will save time and money. Is this for the Saturn? If it is and you can find a low miler, IMO your mechanic friend is right.
Old June 13th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Always room for one more

I started out asking him if he rebuilt engines, and he told me this before I mentioned the Saturn. But I also am thinking about a rebuild for the Dodge van. Not sure what to do about that one. I wouldn't mind doing a rebuild myself for once, just to say I've done it.
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:11 AM

A nice warm and sunny day here.

I'll be spending a couple of hours later today helping to move cars at a local dealership to make room for a car show tomorrow. It is surprisingly a lot of work considering how many times you get in and out of a car. But how else can you say that you drove a Regal, Volt and Escalade in the same day?

Mike, one year and 4700 miles? I guess with your fleet, not many of your cars get many miles.

Allan, I recently wondered the same thing about the local dealership I take the Mustang too for service. I took it in for regular service and a couple of weeks later I needed to take a wheel off. With a breaker bar and impact socket, I couldn't move any of the wheel nuts on one wheel. In the end I took it back to the dealership, they took all the nuts off but had to replace one wheel stud
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon Mawnin People

It's been awhile since I've been on ClassicOlds Too much back reading for now to catch up, so whadda miss?

Been moving my middle one to Savannie and werking on the honey do list. Whelp it's hot now and summer-like conditions here in full force

Hope all is well with everyone