The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2016, 03:38 PM

Well, ya know, I ain't as flexible as I used to be, replaced the valves under the bathroom sink...wow a lot of rust, pretty much choked closed with it, rusted threads, so a little finessing there, that one is working good now, I'll tackle the kitchen next, but my body don't like the bending and contorting anymore, so I'm going to get some grub and relax.
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:51 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter nice one

Plowed de garden an fix'in to plant sum taters. since de Super model's Irish. We oughta have enough fer de Cast of Spartacus

Dan, How close to de Flint water crisis are you? Did ya ever think about mov'in? I'd jes look at it as great pratice fer under dash werk.

Mike, Come on up, I'll give ya de Ecclesiastical deal

John, Hope ya got dem gutters cleaned out before de monsoons hit

Have a GREAT day Olds friends, de garden is waiting and sunshine's burning
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wow, been awhile since I was first in line in the morning. Hope everyone is doing well on the Hump Day.

Gonna take in the junkyard today. Haven't been in almost 2 months. Not looking for anything in particular, but everything in general.

Been looking for awhile now for a VW Bay Window Bus. I've had a couple over the years. I don't know what happened to make them like gold. Even parts busses, incomplete busses, are demanding a premium. Well, some of them have been for sale for a long time. I've even been looking out west. Seems most of them in Colorado are decent but have no engines. You'd think they'd be plentiful in California but they aren't. Puzzling.

Looks like it will be another beautiful day here. Haven't seen a forecast so I don't know when rain is coming. Eh, I don't care. It's nice now, that's what matters.

And now for the countdown. T minus 6 and counting. I need to get a few things for my annual trip to Australia. Is it still "annual" if I didn't quite make it last year?

Time for the Awful house. I'm giddy. We were told the Camp Cards that the scouts are selling wouldn't have the 10% discount on them. And indeed the local ones around here don't. But, the aforementioned guy I know that moved to Cherokee sells one for the entire Atlanta area, and it does have the discount. I'll be taking orders and hit him up this weekend. The manager here is going to flip. He thinks he's saving the world by restricting jelly.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Edit- Jamesbo you got me!
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik g'mawnin'.... Got all the de-leafing and mowing done yesterday. Went pretty good; hate climbing that extension ladder to get at one of the real high gutters; but I bite the bullet, climb extra careful, and pray the ladder (rated at 200 lb., about 25 lbs lighter than my weight) doesn't fail.

One complicating circumstance is that this the height of wasp season, and they love our house -- the attic, mostly. They get in under the metal roof and through the siding and they're swarming everywhere. I bring a can of wasp bomb up there with me, but it's not a lot of consolation. Not fond of those little critters at all... huge nuisance. They get into our screened patio, too, and when the sun's out, we get a hundred or more trapped in there up against the screens. The good thing is when they're on the screen trying to get out, I can suck 'em right up with the vacuum. But when I'm 35' in the air on an aluminum extension ladder, it's a different game.

Mike, we watched the X Files episode last night from Season 1 called "Fallen Angel," which is the one with Max Fenig, the epileptic abductee with the old Airstream, towed by a late-70s Chrysler Town & Country. Mighty cool episode -- and Airstream. I'll bet that old Lean Burn 440 got about 3 mpg pulling the Airstream, but never had a transmission failure.

Dan, I heard ya' about the decreased flexibility.

Beautiful garden, Jamesbo.

Y'all have a dry one -- monsoons seem to be hitting for real tomorrow down here.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; March 10th, 2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:33 AM

Jamesbo, I'm 2 1/2 hours from Flint, we get our water from Lake Michigan, with the filtration plant about 4 miles from me. They send out annual reports that shows how it compares to federal guidelines for chemicals, criptospordium(sic) etc, we always beat the guidelines handily. John, what kind of weather do you have coming your way? Heavy rain & flooding?
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. 71 here and sunny today, we warmed up very quickly and supposed to stay well above normal for the next 7 days. Woohoo. I'm usually mowing the lawn around the end of March, might be earlier this year.

I was thinking of going to take a look at a 79 Riv on craigslist that is close to me, looks really clean for 6k. I'll be dead of course if I even think of buying it.

John - that's no fun dealing with those things while on a ladder. Hope you don't get stung.

Jamesbo - nice looking garden. Nice to have all that room to plant stuff.

Dan - glad to hear that your water isn't affected, I feel bad for the people of Flint, after all it's not like they did anything to deserve it.

Mike - I like airstreams too. And yes, I like to pitch a tent, the wife says it's my favorite pastime. Does T-6 to Australia mean that you're leaving in 6 days?

Well, have a good night all
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter nice on down ere

Hope John's OK. The swamp is getting hammered. Come to think of it, John's de only fella I ever met from Louisiana dat didn't have at least 1 piroque, 2 john boats, 12 shot guns, 50 duck calls and a 100 decoys. De got sporting good store in Louisiana bigger dan Walmarts

Note to self. Give John a HF battery powered wasp zapper tennis racket thingy

Dan, I guess I need to ax.What kinda pipe ya running Galvanized? Copper? PVC?

Mike, with 14 acres you'd have plenty of room fer everything [currently]

Zo, What's de deal on going down under every year. Ya got a marsupial sweet heart down there?

Welp, Got to get moving daylights burning

Have a GREAT day Olds friends

Clint, Where ya at?
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another fine day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. As Sandy would say, it's Divine favor. I miss all the Brian updates.

Jamesbo I need to look up Ecclesiastic. That 14 acres have any buildings on it?

Yes Darrell that's what that means. Except now it's T minus 5. I go to Australia every year for a car show. Vintage Chryslers. Been going for years. I met some people early on and see them each time, and we all go up to the show together. It's as much about seeing them now as it is going to the show.

John hope you're staying dry. I heard we're supposed to get our next monsoon on Saturday. Glad I work inside now.

Okay, Awful house. Then a couple errands then I don't know what. It will be something outside that's for sure. Have a good Thursday everyone.
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Nope, no buildings but zone NC Neighborhood shopping

Now this is funny

Facebook Post
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Jamesbo, galvanized, it's an old house, might be getting clogged. The Hollywood Squares video was a hoot.
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, thanks for that bit of levity... it brings back memories of when TV was G rated In retrospect, I learned a lot from that show.... and The Match Game. Funny how Peter Marshall used to more or less stay above the fray, whereas Gene Rayburn used to wallow in the mire. I just looked it up and Peter's still among the living; he'll be 90 this month. You go, Pete...!

I'll graciously accept any 'lectric swatter donations, Jamesbo.

Thanks for axin' 'bout our weather down here. Seems like we missed the real strong stuff in N. LA over the last couple days. They're predicting some heavy rains and strong gusts for tonight, tomorrow, and even into Saturday morning for us, although Ponchatoula isn't in the direct crosshairs. Hallelujah!

Mike, have a safe trip iffin' we don't communicate before liftoff. Take us sum pitcha's.

I think Clint's abandoned us. Maybe too many Rocky Mountain High jokes?

Whelpt, y'all have a dry one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; March 10th, 2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Always room for one more

Well Jamesbo that leaves me out, I don't have anything that resembles neighborhood shopping.

I used to watch Hollywood Squares when I was a kid. I never knew it was so dirty. I guess all the innuendo's and jokes went right over my young head.
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:56 AM

Mike,
Don't forget NC would allow you to put your very own Aweful House on the corners

John, Did ya ever learn what Charlie Weaver was talking about when he said "Donkey Fazoo?"
Old March 10th, 2016, 03:40 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy All

Almost hot 'ere. High temps are north of 80*F and frocasted to be so for at least another week.

Check this Buick Gran Sport that came in to the shop yesterday Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic That baby was clean as a whistle.

Looks like the yard sale is a go. Sadly I'm gonna miss all of Friday and half of Saturday due to werk

I'll check y'all on the flipside
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Captain Starfire

Sweet '65, eh Scot? Wish I could have seed it.

Jamesbo, I didn't even hear him saying it, but since you mentioned it, I Googled it and here's what I dun fount:

Donkey Fazool
1) Substitution word for comedic effect.
2) Default answer to any trivia question where you don't have a clue.
3) Standard answer used by Cliff Arquette (Charlie Weaver) on Hollywood Squares in the 1960's.

But not being one who's generally satisfied with the first answer I find, a little more searching revealed the original definition:

"The remnants of beans in donkey feces."

I'll have to remember that one.... I -- like Mike -- probably had all those references soar high above my head back in the Sixties. Sure liked ol' Cliff Arquette when I was a yoot, though. ;-)
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Got a little sprinkle las nite to help de taters get growing

John, Interesting. Glad Inquiring minds have an answer finally

Scot, Nice Granny Sport.

Ok Clint, Enough is enough. I know you're on FB now get back to CO

Headed to de mountains, Got a family coming Sunday p.m. but til then I'm good to go

Have a Great Weekend OLds friends
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Captain Starfire

Tangipahoa Flood

Mernin' from the house boat... We're like an island here. Thank goodness so far no water in the house or garage -- although my little out-buildings haven't fared so well. Hoping the mowers are above water.

Pretty much rained solid all night. They say we got around 13" in the last 24 hrs, and it ain't over yet.

For other inquiring minds, here's our view. Say a prayer the water stops where it is... Thanks!

From front door, looking due west.

From front door, looking NW

From front door, looking SW

From front door, looking SSW

From front door, looking SW

From front door, looking due west

Back yard. Notice bubbles erupting from septic aerator, toward the right.

Back yard. Poor Mary has water up to her shins. There's a small bush beside the visible one beside Mary that is totally submerged.

Back yard. I'm sure there's water in the metal out-building.

Back yard. More bubbles.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Be safe John. Can you get your a/c higher? Looks like it might get submerged.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM

So, here's an update. I get up this morning and I hear what sound like water running somewhere, I look in the basement, nothing and I had noticed what sounded like the water heater heating up water, but there really was no call for it. I usually have air purifier going in my bedroom, which masks sound also, forgot to turn in on before going to bed, so I thought that I could hear something, but never could figure out where it was coming from. Knock Knock, who's there? my neighbor, that's who. "Hey there's water running from a broken water pipe on your lot"! So, I get out there to my side yard, which is behind and to the side of my house. This spicket sticks up about two feet off of the ground and I had capped it years ago due to kids turning it on when I wasn't home. There is also a faucet on the same side of the house that i sometimes use to wash my car under the maple tree. There is a valve in the basement. I forgot to turn it off last fall and it froze breaking it open, and running for who knows how many days. I turned it off, water leak stopped, water pressure back!!! Yee ha. I'm going to have a very high water bill.

Last edited by 1969w3155; March 11th, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:38 AM

Yikes John,

Looks like Katrina all over again. I'd lock de door and head for the hills
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Captain Starfire

Don't say that horrific word, Jamesbo. It's been like this a couple times before & we've fared OK... but I admit this is the highest it's been since we moved here 10 yrs ago. I never even had any dampness in that metal building before. I hate to go out there to inspect. I actually had a few bags of concrete mix on the floor. It will be a mess, but if that's all there is, I'm happy.... I've been needing to clean it out for a while now...

Dan, hope the water company cuts you some slack. Do you need to borrow any water? Seriously, I actually raised the A/C compressors about 4" a few years back. So far, so good. The dope here before us had them resting on bricks.
Old March 11th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept a good bit today and then ran a couple errands. We were ready for work way early. Yes it's Monday.

Holy Toledo John that is some serious flooding. If you had a 4 wheel drive you could still get out. On the picture above of the car sitting on the driveway, where would the water be? That's not going to do your road any favors. Dan really left the water running a long time!

So it's T minus 4 days and counting. I think I have everything I need to take with me, I now need to assemble it all. My friends have been ordering things and sending them to me, because shipping to Australia is ridiculously expensive. I may need to add a second bag just for my own stuff.

Okay time for work. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Time changes this weekend? Seems awful early. That's okay, I like it being light out later into the evening.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Today was 68 and sunny. A little early for the warm weather but I could get used to it.

John - I hope the water doesn't rise any further and no damage happens to your property.
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:33 PM

Dan really left the water running a long time!
My apologies, but now that you have lakefront property, we will have to raise your taxes. I do have concerns that it might take awhile for the rain that swelled the rivers upstream of you to reach your area.
Old March 12th, 2016, 05:56 AM

Mawn'in

Nice day in de hills

John, Hope de water is down. FWIW I've been told a bag of concrete mix won't set up if ya toss it in a lake. Guess we're fix'in to find out

Still don't see your pirogue

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Captain Starfire

Good mernin', all... and thanks for the well wishes. All's well, and better half even set out this morning to go do her thing. Water on our property is completely subsided, thank goodness. Still haven't entered the metal building; procrastinating is just about over, though. Need to go at least open it up. Jamebso, maybe the concrete won't be cured, but I'm sure it'll be "ruint." In fact, after a year or two in the humidity, it's tough to even break 'em apart. So these will make a good filler somewhere in the yard.

Mike, not sure what ur axeing -- but if you see the driveway pad (underwater) in that one picture, if you pull forward (left in the pic), that's where the "carport" portion of the garage is, with the Avalon & Fusion. Then there's another overhead door, and if you continue, you reach the "real" garage. As I said, the water stopped just short of the carport overhead door... As my dear ol' Dad used to say, "I'd rather be lucky than anything."

I had just set up a spot in the carport section to start cleaning Olds suspension parts; that degreasing & cleaning operation will now be scheduled after I pick up all the junk around the yard that floated in. I'm so happy I had just mowed & cleaned those gutters-- 'Twas timely indeed. The yard will be a bog for weeks. There were a couple spots in the yard in which the mower got stuck before the deluge; it rarely dries out completely (takes well over a month of no precip whatsoever).

Whelp, let me get shakin'.... Have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; March 12th, 2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old March 12th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cloudy today, but again got to 80. This has got to be the best time of year. Warm without humidity, and looking forward to summer.

John what I was asking was if the car were parked in the same spot, how much water would it be sitting in? Is your yard just a big sponge, or can you bring in some dirt and bring it up a little?

Jamesbo what I've seen around here quite a bit is people will stack up bags of cement, and it sets up when it rains and the paper falls away, and they have a wall of big "rocks" of concrete.

I think I have everything I need for my trip. And now to assemble it. I'm allowed two bags but I'd sure hate to need them, one bag with a shoulder bag is bad enough. Two bags with a shoulder bag, and full at that, is dreadful.

Time for the dogs to go out and then get ready for work. Don't forget to set the clocks up. Have a good evening everyone.
Old March 13th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Mawn'in

Worm

Have no idear what time it is but I'm sleepy

Old March 13th, 2016, 08:02 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy All

Looking gloomy out but I think we dodged the deluge that flooded John in the bayou.

Glad to hear it subsided John. Is your house on stilts?

Have fun down under Mike. Say hello to Adrian for us

Whelp out to do some mower maintenance.
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik mernin', all...
I've seen folks put whole bags of concrete mix down near water and to my knowledge, it does eventually cure inside the bag when it gets enough moisture; but I'm by no means an expert. I just see it done -- not sure of the results.
Scot, no stilts. ;-) Dunno what my foundation is actually called, but the house is raised, and there is a chainwall around. Not exactly sure what's beneath the floor, 'cause I don't think it can be solid concrete. But there is no "pier & beam." Jamesbo, you're pretty good with that construction stuff. I can get some pic's (of course!).

Mike, since we're on 5 acres and there are very few concrete parking lots and expansive buildings here in this rural area, we are fortunate to have a lot of ground absorption. But thru the ditches and other above-ground drainage, most of the water winds up in the poor unfortunate swollen rivers in SE LA. Pearl River, which goes through its namesake town, seems to be the last to crest. I'll have more to say when i get more time, but rivers overflowing their banks down here have been devastating.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nort...onday/79282068

Here's a video of my buddy, Jeff, who worked the apiary at St. Joseph Abbey and Seminary College at Benedict, LA, which is about 25 mi east of here. As he said in his email, "Not for the faint of heart."

Old March 13th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just a beautiful day here. Even saw some of it. We got just a small spitting of rain last night, barely even noticeable. Glad we missed that big storm we were supposed to have.

Scot I wish I could stop in to see Adrian when I'm there, but he's a good day away from where I'll be.

John that's too bad about your friend's bees. I didn't watch the whole video, hope he can get himself set up again soon.

Jamesbo I thought I'd be a wise guy and get out of work early, and since time changed I'd get out real early. Nope. Had a bunch of stupid write-ups from the flight attendants that took me till the end to look at, then had a mountain of paperwork to enter into the computer. I always like an uneventful flight when I'm on one, but I hate when there's an uneventful flight and the FA's are bored. They start looking for things to write up. Why can't they read a book?

Might take tomorrow night off if I can swing it. I just don't want to get off on Tuesday morning, sleep, get ready to go, and catch a plane. I don't like to be rushed.

Okay headed out. Have a good Sunday night everyone and hope the week starts out good.
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:39 AM

Horrible about de bees

GTG whitey awaits
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Yet another gorgeous day out. And I took tonight off so I can take advantage of it.

Gotta go check out the shop today, pick up a couple more things for my trip, then get everything together. Talked with my niece, who lives in Los Angeles, and she's going to meet me at the airport when I get out there for dinner. Kinda looking forward to flying QANTAS this year, even though I won't get to sit in First Class.

Today is Pie day. How clever. Actually, it is Pi Day. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone, or should I say early worm. A cold soaker here on Monday. Didn't make for a fun working day, after lunch I looked like a drowned water rat.

Got the Olds out of the garage yesterday and brought it back to the house. Been sitting since New Years Day so nice to get it out. I bought sway bars, rear springs and shocks for it, hope to put them in over the next week.

Mike - Are you staying over in LA for a day or two before going to Australia?

John - hope your property continues to dry out, are you still getting rain?

Heading off to bed, have a good night all.
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:47 PM

Darrell, are your lower control arms boxed? They will deflect under side load if not, and can cause stress cracks.
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:23 AM

Mawn'in all

Beautimus day

Without getting toooooooooo political "It's a strange strange

world we live in"
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Could it be -- da' worm?
Things are getting lonely around here.
All's well, folks. Thanks for the continued support. No rain since Saturday, thank the Good Lord. Spose to have a round start up again Thursday, but nuttin' like last week, with some divine assistance.

Things are really hosed up (no joke or pun) in LA, unfortunately. I-10 and I-59 are closed in certain places due to water topping the highway. The Lake Charles (Sabine River) area is flooding, and there's still peril closer to me in St. Tammany and Washington Parishes.

Just FYI, here's the latest story on my friends at St. Joseph Abbey, which was run on Ch. 4 yesterday. I find it unbelievable that they didn't have flood insurance. I guess there was some strategy -- or at least I hope.

Y'all be good.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; March 15th, 2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old March 15th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got lots to do today. I was going to finish up last night getting ready for my trip, and then sat down on the couch and fell asleep. The shows I like to watch must be that boring.

Jamesbo I don't get it. Why is an Amish buggy towing a boat political? Strange, yes.

John that's too bad about the Abbey. Hope they get it all sorted out. I'm guessing this isn't the first time something like this has happened to them, in 108 years.

Darrell I'm just flying through LA tonight, I'm not staying any amount of time. When my best friend lived there I'd fly in early in the morning and spend the day with him, and then he'd drop me back at the airport. Now he lives in Colorado so I just connect. Tonight though I'm having dinner with my niece. Her husband is in the Navy out there.

Beautiful day here, again. I can see the yellow pollen has started. It will be in full swing by the time I get back. Last year it only lasted a couple of weeks, maybe we'll be that lucky again this year.

Okay time to get busy. Have a good week everyone, see you back here in 7.
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone, busy day with work but I wanted to say hello before heading off to bed. Have someone riding with me from corporate tomorrow so that always makes for a fun day. No stress

Dan - I bought new boxed lower control arms from UMI so it should be good.

Mike - have a great safe time and take lots of pics for us.

Jamesbo - that's a funny pic, can't imagine seeing that in PA.

John - glad to hear you're getting a chance to dry out.
Old March 16th, 2016, 05:19 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sorry I've been lax. John came over to FB and roughed me up a little for my misbehavin.

I guess I'm not gonna win the attendance award.

Darrell glad you're able to mess with the Olds. I Put a hand glaze and coat of Mothers on Brit the other day. but now we are looking at snow again on Friday.

Mike have fun in Oz. I have an internet friend coming to visit from Oz in August. We are all going camping and dirtbiking with other forum members from around the US and Canada.

Pi day? I heard is was a day with another annotation in response to Valentines day but can't name it without being banned.

Have a day all.